Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rome

• 14-03-2014 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm heading to Rome with my girlfriend in a few weeks. We have a hotel sorted in the centre of the city. We're looking for suggestions for things to do while there. We'll be there all day on Monday up until early on Friday morning.

At the moment our plan is to go to the Vatican for the Pope's mass on the Wednesday morning. We're going to visit the Colosseum, the Forum and the Pantheon another day.

I think it's best to go to the Vatican Museums and the Sistine on the Monday to avoid the crowds after the mass. Although, I suspect the crowds won't be lessened in any way.

I think a trip out to the Borghese Gallery and the gardens will be in order.

My girlfriend has mentioned that she might like to take a day trip out to Tivoli Gardens. Is that doable? I see the train is quick and cheap. Is it worth it?

Also, we have planned to stumble upon the Trevi and the Steps at some point on our trip.

Is there anything else that is unmissable or are we trying to fit in too much as it is?

My girlfriend is very interested in art and has been looking up some places that she'd like to visit. Are there any 'hidden gems'?

Are there any other tips or recommendations you would have for it?

I'm sorry about all of the questions. I've searched the web but all I can get is a huge mish-mash of information. I trust the people on here to point me in the right direction.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭jt_dublin

Here is a good restaurant recommendation when you are down at the Spanish Stpes in Piazza di Spanga. It is called Alla Rampa. I've been a few times, the food is great & not expensive.

To find it, when you are standing in the square facing the steps, walk to the right and take the first street / laneway on your left.

http://www.allarampa.it/home.php?language=English

Enjoy Rome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I think I read one of your posts a few days ago because I clicked on a link that brought me to that same restaurant.

I will have to check it out. When you say not expensive, what do you mean? I can't find any prices on their site. Does it need to be booked or can we rock up on that day/night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭jt_dublin

Hi Jimmy,
    One reason that I recommend this place is that Rome has a lot of touristy restaurants serving average quality & overpriced food. Alla Rampa is not expensive and the dishes are good quality. I think that you will pay 5 to 10 quid for starters & 10 to 20 quid for mains. It is a few years since I was last there but they did not take reservations. One time for lunch we got a table straight away. Another time for dinner it was busy and they had formed a queue up the stairs inside, but we got a table in about 10 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

You can get the Roma Pass, I think it's valid for 3 days and allowed you access to your first 2 tourist attractions and use of the metro. Plan your sites to get best value. You can buy in the tourist shops over there and can date it once you start to use it. You also get a fairly decent map with it.

I'd recommend the Coliseum, Roman Forum, Vatican and Sistine Chapel - closed when I was there :(, Trevi Fountain (day time and night time), Pantheon, Victor Emmanuel Monument (day & night time).

There's a small church there with crypts made entirely from bones - Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini - I thought it was worth a walk through.

As you walk along the streets visit the churches all bigger and more beautiful then the rest.

Enjoy.

Edit to add - Long story short - I got the bus from the airport to termini, when I arrived there I jumped into a white car thinking it was a taxi, it wasn't. Be careful, taxis will be white but will have a sign on the side of the cars.
    Also the buses are cheap and handy to get around but riddled with pick pockets, again be careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭8mv

We were there last year and I enjoyed the Vatican museums more than I ever thought I would. Give yourselves plenty of time for them, including the Sistine. Allow yourselves time to climb the Dome as well.
    All the ancient Roman sites are well worth visiting, but if you want to avoid crowds take a half-day to visit Ostia Antiqa - a huge ancient site with hardly anyone around. About an hour from the city centre by Metro / Urban train..

• Advertisement

jt_dublin wrote: »
    Hi Jimmy,
    One reason that I recommend this place is that Rome has a lot of touristy restaurants serving average quality & overpriced food. Alla Rampa is not expensive and the dishes are good quality. I think that you will pay 5 to 10 quid for starters & 10 to 20 quid for mains. It is a few years since I was last there but they did not take reservations. One time for lunch we got a table straight away. Another time for dinner it was busy and they had formed a queue up the stairs inside, but we got a table in about 10 minutes.

That's not too bad. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to check it out.
    phog wrote: »
    You can get the Roma Pass, I think it's valid for 3 days and allowed you access to your first 2 tourist attractions and use of the metro. Plan your sites to get best value. You can buy in the tourist shops over there and can date it once you start to use it. You also get a fairly decent map with it.

I'd recommend the Coliseum, Roman Forum, Vatican and Sistine Chapel - closed when I was there :(, Trevi Fountain (day time and night time), Pantheon, Victor Emmanuel Monument (day & night time).

There's a small church there with crypts made entirely from bones - Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini - I thought it was worth a walk through.

As you walk along the streets visit the churches all bigger and more beautiful then the rest.

Enjoy.

Edit to add - Long story short - I got the bus from the airport to termini, when I arrived there I jumped into a white car thinking it was a taxi, it wasn't. Be careful, taxis will be white but will have a sign on the side of the cars.
    Also the buses are cheap and handy to get around but riddled with pick pockets, again be careful.

I've had a look at the Roma Pass. I'm not sure if we'll get it yet. I'll have another think about it.

I haven't heard of the Victor Emmanuel Monument. Thanks for that. It looks stunning in the pictures.

I am looking forward to wandering into random churches and just gazing at the architecture.

We are staying a few minutes from the station so I don't think we'll really need to use a taxi and I want to avoid public transport as much as I can. I'll have to tell my girlfriend to bring a good pair of shoes :P.
    8mv wrote: »
    We were there last year and I enjoyed the Vatican museums more than I ever thought I would. Give yourselves plenty of time for them, including the Sistine. Allow yourselves time to climb the Dome as well.
    All the ancient Roman sites are well worth visiting, but if you want to avoid crowds take a half-day to visit Ostia Antiqa - a huge ancient site with hardly anyone around. About an hour from the city centre by Metro / Urban train..

I will definitely be giving a lot of time to the Museums and the Sistine Chapel.

I'm going to avoid the Dome though. I can't do heights at all. I only made it to the first floor of the Eiffel Tower and I nearly didn't want to come back down.

What will the weather be like at the start of April?

I'm not expecting to get a tan, but a little bit of sun/heat would be nice.

You can go right to the top of the Victor Emmanuel monument and walk around the top. You can have a panoramic view of Rome.

We were there over St Patrick's Weekend last year, weather was mixed but mild, one very wet day.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Spice Girl

We did a tour in the Vatican museum with a lady who knew all about art history. It was so worth it. Rather than just wandering through the Vatican she was able to provide so much background information (e.g. the artist didn't like a bishop so he painted his face as the devil etc). She also knew the ins and outs of the queue system and kinda fast tracked us.
    We also did the same at the Coliseum - was with one of the guys dressed up as a gladiator outside. He showed us things like the penis shapes etched in the walls pointing up to the brothels on the hills.
    Must be over 5 years since I was there but the tours really made me feel like I knew Rome.
    The train service in Italy is really good and reasonably priced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Mini

hi,

Rome is absolutely fabulous. I'm so jealous, it is one place I would go back to again and again.

I went peak season last year in July - and I am not sure if it would be same in a few weeks time. But I would recommend booking the Vatican, Cistine Chapel etc online before you go. When we were there the queue for entry was at least a mile long (not joking) Having booked online before hand we by passed the whole queue and got straight in.

Talking to a guy at the airport on the way back, and he said that he spent most of his time queuing for entrance to the sites. Admittedly it was peak season, so hopefully you won't have those waits at the attractions.

The Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps are also a must while you are there. Also depending on where you are staying the train will take you straight from the airport in to the main termini (bus station)

enjoy your time there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

8mv wrote: »

+1 for Ostia Antica. I found it lovely and quiet but still full of really interesting things - loads of old Roman mosaics and there is an amphitheatre also. The Baths of Caracalla are another nice place to visit if you like the ancient stuff.

I also enjoyed just wandering into random churches. Piazza del Popolo (near Borghese gardens) is a lovely wide open space to just sit and watch the world go by.

• Advertisement

Aglomerado wrote: »
    +1 for Ostia Antica. I found it lovely and quiet but still full of really interesting things - loads of old Roman mosaics and there is an amphitheatre also. The Baths of Caracalla are another nice place to visit if you like the ancient stuff.

I also enjoyed just wandering into random churches. Piazza del Popolo (near Borghese gardens) is a lovely wide open space to just sit and watch the world go by.

I went to these and was a bit disappointed, I suppose I was expecting baths like in Bath. I wouldn't cross it off my list but was perhaps expecting more than I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Johnfkm

I'm also heading to Rome in two weeks with my wife but I can't decide about the Roma pass.

We will be there for two full days and a half day when we arrive.
    We are staying near the Spanish Steps.

We plan on visiting all the major attractions but are not sure if we should purchase the Roma pass

anyone got any feedback?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Was there for the last two weekends, one planned trip one business. Its an amazing city for walking around, every corner hides something unique. As for the Coliseum, the offer you the chance to skip the line and take a guided tour, its an extra 5 euro each and well worth it to avoid the queue.

Johnfkm wrote: »
    I'm also heading to Rome in two weeks with my wife but I can't decide about the Roma pass.

We will be there for two full days and a half day when we arrive.
    We are staying near the Spanish Steps.

We plan on visiting all the major attractions but are not sure if we should purchase the Roma pass

anyone got any feedback?

I'd recommend it, have a read of the link I posted above about the Pass and decide if you think it's worthwhile. Because your stay is so short it may not be the best value for you.

Thanks Phog - I think it won't be great value given we hope to walk everywhere

Is it recommended to book tickets for the major attractions in advance ?

Thanks Phog - I think it won't be great value given we hope to walk everywhere

Is it recommended to book tickets for the major attractions in advance ?

Book the Vatican Museum & Sistine Chapel.

From the metro, you can walk across the road from the Coliseum to the Roman Forum and get a ticket that covers both and jump the queue at the Coliseum.

The queue at St Peter's Basilica seems to moved reasonably fast so I think no need to book in advance.

Near the Coliseum & Vatican Museum there will be "guides" selling you cheap tours, these are usually scams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

I would recommend a guided tour of the Vatican museums. There is a lot to take in so it helps being with someone who knows what they are on about ;)

I would highly recommend taking a trip to Trastavere and eat in any of the restaurants there. Don't be put off by the outside appearances. Much better value and food quality.

Castel Sant'Angelo is also lovely to visit. Other than that, I think all the other major sights have been mentioned. It is a great city to visit.

Drink some prosecco and people watch at the Spanish Steps :)

A few restbnts that I liked

Rossopomodoro

Ristorante del Giglio

We stayed here, lovely hotel and near metro and bus stops outside hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Were going there in June. Myself and the gf. Gonna Do 4 days in Rome a day in Pompeii and 4 days amalfi coast. Any recommendations for anything? Thanks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

What will the weather be like at the start of April?

I'm not expecting to get a tan, but a little bit of sun/heat would be nice.

Currently a bit thundery with rain. But a couple of days ago we needed sun cream. Lots of heat and sun forecast over the next week.

The weather forecast is very reliable here. Enjoy your stay, you are going to see more than I have in 6 months :p. Must address that.

• Advertisement

Just back from a three day trip, thanks for all the great tips.
    Definitely buy your coliseum ticket at the forum and skip the queue. This worked a treat. We also pre booked our Vatican museum tickets online and we were able to skip the queue here too.
    Another tip, when you get to the sistine Chapel at the end of the Vatican museums there are two doors. One is the exit back through the museum. The other is for group tours only. Take this door and it will bring you to St Peters Church. This will mean you won't have to walk around from the museums and go through security again.
    We stayed at the inn spagna near the Spanish steps. It was small but lovely and clean. Exactly what you need when your out all day.

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Were going there in June. Myself and the gf. Gonna Do 4 days in Rome a day in Pompeii and 4 days amalfi coast. Any recommendations for anything? Thanks!!

There's a lot of tips/recommendations for Rome already in this thread. If you have a particular query/interest you might be better off asking and someone might have an answer.

Enjoiy your trip, sounds great.

Currently a bit thundery with rain. But a couple of days ago we needed sun cream. Lots of heat and sun forecast over the next week.

The weather forecast is very reliable here. Enjoy your stay, you are going to see more than I have in 6 months :p. Must address that.

Excellent. I may need to get a pair of shorts after all then.

Excellent. I may need to get a pair of shorts after all then.

Defo, bring the shorts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

You have to book your tickets for the Vatican museum/ sistene chapel online, otherwise you'll waste half a day queuing.

Defo, bring the shorts.

Ive borrowed some of my brother's. I want splashing out on shorts that I won't wear for another 4 months after this week.
    newmug wrote: »
    You have to book your tickets for the Vatican museum/ sistene chapel online, otherwise you'll waste half a day queuing.

I decided to spend my money on a ticket for this instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Just back from a three day trip, thanks for all the great tips.
    Definitely buy your coliseum ticket at the forum and skip the queue. This worked a treat. We also pre booked our Vatican museum tickets online and we were able to skip the queue here too.
    Another tip, when you get to the sistine Chapel at the end of the Vatican museums there are two doors. One is the exit back through the museum. The other is for group tours only. Take this door and it will bring you to St Peters Church. This will mean you won't have to walk around from the museums and go through security again.
    We stayed at the inn spagna near the Spanish steps. It was small but lovely and clean. Exactly what you need when your out all day.

Does this apply if you have a Roma pass? Or do you still need to get tickets if you've already used your free admission?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Gatica wrote: »
    Does this apply if you have a Roma pass? Or do you still need to get tickets if you've already used your free admission?

You can still get free admission if you have a Roma pass but you have to ring up beforehand and let them know you are reserving the tickets and using your Roma pass.

I'm just back from Rome and I'd advise to book your tickets for all the major sites in advance. It does mean you have a more rigid schedule but it is definitely worth it to skip the queue. It was incredible to see the queue outside the Vatican for a 2 hour wait to get tickets. If these people just went on their smart phones and booked tickets, they'd have to queue for less than 5 minutes to get through security. I'd advise getting a guided tour for the Colosseum and The Vatican. Also for Villa Borghese (mornings only) as I used the audio guide twice (in the Roman Forum and Villa Borghese) and felt a tour guide definitely keeps you more engaged.

I walked everywhere in Rome but in hindsight, I would suggest doing a Hop on hop off tour bus. You can walk everywhere but there is just so much walking to do and the information you're taking in itself tires you out, I think if I had used the bus it wouldn't have been as tiring.

I booked all the tours through the offical websites. The guide at the Vatican was the best and my favourite part of the trip. I used the tip of exiting the Cistine Chapel via the right door (our tour guide gave us this tip just as Jimmy Ivoine had stated). Very handy as the queue for the Basilica was about an hour long!!

When getting your bus from the airport, don't bother buying tickets inside the terminal building. Go outside to where the buses pull up and just queue for the next available bus. Could save you a wait.

Just to note, they are currently renovating the Trevi fountain and from reading online, won't be completed until well into 2015. The fountain is drained of all water, but there is a gangway over the fountain so you get up close to the sculptures.

Near the Spanish steps is a street, Via Condotti, which has high end designer shops (Louis Vuitton, Bally, Max Mara etc). Myself and my boyfriend liked looking at the window displays (amazing!) and tried to guess the prices of the items on show (unreal prices!!! :eek: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Dr Nic wrote: »

My Vesuvius is worthwhile, when you are in Pompeii.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Mt Vesuvius even!

Larianne wrote: »
    You can still get free admission if you have a Roma pass but you have to ring up beforehand and let them know you are reserving the tickets and using your Roma pass.

I'll save this bit of info :) been and gone. We just did all the Roman stuff on this trip. Maybe Renaissance the next time... Love love the city!
    I thought the bathtub in front of a print of the Trevi fountain with "throw your coins here" was hilarious...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BohsCotsy

Hi folks. I'm heading to Rome the first week in October and have a few questions. This is a great thread for information by the way.

I'm staying a few hundred metres from Termini. We have 2 full days in Rome before getting the train to Naples and then on to Sorrento.

The 2 days in Rome are Thursday and Friday.

On the Thursday we want to go to the Colosseum, The Forum, Piazza Venezia, Trevi Fountain & Spanish Steps. Is this do-able in one day? Would this be do-able by public transport?

Our plan was to get the city sightseeing tour and hop on and off at the appropriate stops but the reviews on trip advisor for this are terrible? Tickets are about €26 each. How much are the tickets for public transport?

Planning on going to the Vatican on Friday first thing in the morning. Does anyone have a link to buy the tickets before travel? And can you geta bus to it from Termini.

Thanks in advance folks.

A 100 minute ticket costs 1.50 and is good for metro, bus and tram. You can probably buy 3 day pass but you won't need it. Everywhere you mentioned is walkable so bring good walking shoes. You'll need them.

Visit the officail Vatican website to purchase tickets. I'm not sure on the bus. Check out the ATAC Rome website for local bus info. I think they have one in English.

Go to the Forum first and get the tickets there as they give you access to the Colosseum and you skip the ticket queues at the Colosseum.

I think you should go to Victor Emmanuel too, try at least going to the top for a panoramic view of Rome in daylight.

We stayed near Repubblica and the metro got us close to the Vatican but I think it was the 64 bus brought us in or out of the city. You can get it at Largo Argentina to return to your hotel.

We were never checked for tickets on the buses. I don't even know where to buy them. No one on any bus seemed to have a ticket. Definitely don't spend €26.

• Advertisement

You buy buss tickets at tobacco shops. Shops with a big T outside them once on a bus/tram, you validate them. Most people using the public transport a lot would buy monthly tickets which don't need to be validated.

I would get tickets for Colosseum at the Forum as well, but I'd go to Colosseum first, as that doesn't take that long but then you can spend the day at the Forum. There's so much to see in there...
    Then see the Trevi fountain by night, if they've finished their works on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BohsCotsy

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

I think I will go to the forum first thing in the morning and get the colosseum tickets and do that and return to the forum. I will do the Spanish steps that afternoon I think and trevi fountain that night. I will look into whether it's finished by October.

What part of the city is Trastavere? Highly recommended for night time so defo want to check it out.

Thanks again.

It's across the river to the south. Literally means "across the Tiber". From piazza Venezia take tram 8, for 3 stops. The tram starts/finishes at piazza Venezia do it only travels one way from there. Alternatively you can just walk. Follow the tram line. Defo worth a visit and a must for those who enjoy night life.

Another tip I give is, pick up a SIM card and pop it in your phone. Same craic as here, free or cheap with plenty of all you can eat data. Handy for google maps and other info. Although plenty of places have free wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

I am travelling to Rome with Ryanair next week. Could anyone recommend the best method of getting from Ciampino Airport to Rome?

Also, any restaurant recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

There is a Ryanair shuttle bus right outside the building.

We bought our Terravision tickets inside the airport at 4 Euro one way, and were able to skip the big queue for the busses outside since we had our tickets, there's a separate queue for that and it's much shorter. Well worth it to us...

I am travelling to Rome with Ryanair next week. Could anyone recommend the best method of getting from Ciampino Airport to Rome?

Also, any restaurant recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks
    Gatica wrote: »
    We bought our Terravision tickets inside the airport at 4 Euro one way, and were able to skip the big queue for the busses outside since we had our tickets, there's a separate queue for that and it's much shorter. Well worth it to us...

I think we bought ours online before travelling. Note, on trip from Rome back out to Airport you need to have your ticket verified at their kiosk before boarding the bus.

As for restaurants, here are two that I liked

Rossopomodoro

Ristorante del Giglio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

BohsCotsy wrote: »
    What part of the city is Trastavere? Highly recommended for night time so defo want to check it out.

Really recommend this area of town. We were in Rome 4 nights and 2 of the nights we ate over that side. Excellent food and wine, and a really nice bustle around the place. The food was really good value also and a nice mix of Italian and tourist (of course some of the Italians are also tourists!)

One of the places we ate in was Carlo Menta, and there is a great wine bar across the Piazza from it.

The other was Tratorria da Teo (great shellfish pasta)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

My husband and I are heading to Rome for 4 nights at the start of March, I'm just wondering which of the 2 passes is the best the Roma one or the Vatican one? We'll want to see as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Buyer12

And how much Is it you know? The Ryanair shuttle bus?

Buyer12 wrote: »
    And how much Is it you know? The Ryanair shuttle bus?

See posts #43 & #44

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Me and Mrs heading there in end of January, would the passes still be recommended that time of year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Trevi fountain is a definite, both day and night if you have time. The spanish steps are a waste of time, if you happen to be passing then fair enough but I wouldnt go out of my way for them.

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Me and Mrs heading there in end of January, would the passes still be recommended that time of year?

The passes help in jumping some of the queues and cost the same if not cheaper than paying as a walk up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement