Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(How about a thread on the) Best Starter Kits?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

dePeatrick. Wow. Just...wow.
    I'm a fairly crappy ESI shill:
    Telling everyone to buy FT Nemesis'.
    Having bought my Origen clone from Denmark (should I recommend people spend a couple of euro extra to buy it from abroad?)
    Consistently suggesting people away from the ProVari (Dicodes Dani, TH's Twin VV or DNA30 are the only way to go! Oops, must be shilling for all of them)
    Gabbing on about how I prefer my own NET Havana and Virginia liquids over HoL's and happily giving advice to people on how to make their own.
    Recommending everyone buy VTCs from Vaporium when AWs will do for the majority of vapers - extra overhead is always helpful, you never know where you might go with vaping, and those yokes are very cheap for the quality and delimitations.

What's with the axe-grinding/verbal incontinence?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Thanks for a lovely friday evening. dePatrick I have issued warnings and an infraction for some of your posts. P.m. if you have a problem and don't take it upon yourself to mod this forum. Anymore of this and it's a ban.

I have no choice but to ban wingnut for breaking the rules. It is boards.ie policy that venors cannot advertise or answer questions about their business. This is not a free support forum for any vendor. Simple as that. wingnut is well known and liked here so it's only a 2 week ban on the basis that I fully expect he will take this on board. Normally if I don't know someone it's permanent so lets get things sorted.

I don't frequent this forum as often as I should for various reasons so I rely on you guys pm'ing me when you are not happy with something going on here. If you don't do this and prefer to antagonise people here off your own bat then it helps nobody.

*edit - I should add that I am happy to talk to vendors via pm when they feel posters are being unfair to their business here and will act if I feel it is unjustified. Get your facts right if you wish to bad mouth people and their livelihood. No more mention of dodgy liquid without evidence. I'm off to read the specific thread mentioned now rather than enjoying a cuppa.

Sorry for starting the weekend off this way... :-(

Have a great Paddy's.

LONG WEEKEND! WOO!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

O.k. on further research I'm not convinced of these accusations about certain e-liquids. dePatrick gets a week off for making unfounded accusations based on studies that are far more complicated than he claims. I would recommend people read the thread mentioned above for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Wow, 8 pages in a few hours...go starter kits!
    Back on topic I think starter kits should come in 650 and 900mah in both fixed and vv mode with maybe a link to utube to explain the difference between the two.
    A charger and whatever clearo works well... I dont know enough about clearos to recommend one!
    The kit should contain 5 spare heads.
    Maybe a carto option would be nice to see but I think cartos are a bit old school these days.
    Lastly I think every vendor should offer 5ml samples of all their juice.

Back off topic..I've always found boards a bit biased towards esi but tbh I think its for a good reason...customer satisfaction and all that. From what I've seen here over the last year or so tbs and bargain vapour seem to be the only Irish vendors that don't post here.

Oh yeah, one last thing, newbies should buy their starter kits locally, preferably from a b+m shop, simply for advice and back up. As much as I love FT, a newbie ordering a starter kit from FT is a disaster waiting to happen. Once they know what they're doing...FT all the way baby :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

dePeatrick wrote: »
    At this stage I am convinced that Grindle/Wingnuts/ESI are all the same people, shilling for each other.....I like Grindle in his eccentric way of dealing with vaping and his extraordinary knowledge of everything to do with vaping but I am afraid he is merely a shill for ESI.....as Wingnuts is as well....

We are never going to learn anything new if we allow shills to dictate to us what we vape on or what we choose to use.....we have to be street- wise people....even on the Internet.....:)
    Sorry about this all, just read the whole thread & felt I had to comment...

With respect dePeatrick, I know you've been red-carded as such & cannot defend your statement above, but it's Grindle & Wingnut et al that, for me, have been the catalyst for my personal vaping enlightenment.

Both have been invaluable when it comes to advice/support/supply & demand etc.

Without Grindles input & advice, I would have thrown in the towel a long time ago & Wingnut (yes he of ESI) has been more than accommodating to me on numerous occasions eg replacing faulty mods/batteries etc., without question or delay.

To bandy around the word 'shill' & 'dictate' regarding these two gents, I believe, does them a great injustice & is not deserved IMHO

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

this has gone wayyy OT, ego c twist starters ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Way out of order, Grindle has helped out more than any on the forum. Ive often read a post that I could have helped with but didn't bother out of laziness and sure enough, Grindle will pop up with an excellent post full of great info and advice that is often presented with a dusting of sharp wit and humour. A killer combo.

We need posters like Grindle and we sure as hell don't need the Jim Corr wannabes around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Eff Four

Jaysus, some people. Yeah. Anyway, starter kits :rolleyes:

I got an Ego Twist starter kit from ESI last summer, I'd still be using it today if I hadn't gave it to my sister (who has now also kicked smoking to the curb). As a woman with absolutely zero interest or knowledge in the areas of VV, VW, etc. previously I can safely say getting the Twist was not in any way overly complicated for me. Slide the voltage up or down to suit taste - simples. I replaced the T2 that came with the kit with an evod fairly quickly due to gurgling and leaking, never looked back. If I was to recommend a starter kit to someone nowadays I'd say two 900mah vv batteries, charger, two evods, few coils and juice samples.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

accaguest wrote: »
    The first battery I got was an Ego Twist but I never used the VV. I don't think many would do either. You've kind of only got a very few juices and all your clearos (if you even have more than one) are probably going to be the same so when would you really.

It adds a little confusion imo, because I kept feeling I should be using it, but never got any benefit and then wondered was there something I wasn't doing right.

Evod kit for me. 3.7v, BCC, only slight gurgling and a little TLC required with the genuine kits, and they look and feel good.

Still use it (along with Janty clearos), no real plan to change.

Totally agree, as I said yesterday VV is overkill for someone new to vaping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Totally agree, as I said yesterday VV is overkill for someone new to vaping

I tried e-cigarettes about four years ago (actually posted early on in the 'original e-cigarette' thread). I got fed up of the leaky carts and mouthfulls of liquid. After talking with a friend recently and seeing his setup, I realised things had come a long way. I bought two starter kits from two different Irish vendors. Both had vv batteries and I'm delighted with them - I think it is a great feature and makes a big difference to me. That said, I would happily sacrifice that to have a cheaper starter kit - 20 to 25 euro - that I could recommend to people. One battery, one decent quality clearo, 10ml sample of a popular liquid, usb charger (forget the three pin plug thing).

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭accaguest

Whatever works is cool. I personally didn't use the vv but that was just me and I might be in the minority. I don't regret it or anything, just didn't get much benefit myself. Don't want to dissuade anyone, and the way this thread went...;)

But the battery's probably not the important thing? The clearos/carts/tanks probably are? When someone's telling me their 24mg juice isn't strong enough for them and they want higher, I (usually correctly) assume they have one of those ce4s. I give them a blast of my 12mg, from what most users here would consider very basic clearos (I've only used evods and both tcc and bcc Jantys) and they're blown away.

They often fight my advice to buy a better clearo, trying to say it's the flavour of the juice etc. Weird. It would be almost worth carrying around an empty ce4 to pour some juice in and show them the difference a decent clearomizer makes straight away.

Tempted to start using my twist again now to see if I can get some worth out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

I completely agree. From the point of view of starter kits, and giving someone the best value introduction to electronic cigarettes, the clearo or cart is key. That's what caused me to give up on it four years ago, and what has changed enough to make it work for me now. Cost, of course, is the other factor. 45-65 euro is a big investment for a starter kit when you know nothing about it, if using non vv batteries brings that initial cost down well and good.

I do change voltage during the day depending on my mood (and if I'm drinking coffee or beer), and I do like that feature, but it certainly wasn't a deal breaker. From having tried vaping before I was probably prepared to spend a bit more this time around, that wouldn't apply to most newbies.

Well this has been my point all along.

A quality, cheap non VV kit with a good clearomizer would get anyone off to a good start for peanuts.

If they like it, they continue and they may upgrade at at a later stage.

It's very cheap, it's very good and it just works!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Anacou

Hi all, new to all this but have to quit the smokes so got an ego 1100 with a CE5+ wickless clearomizer last week. Its breaking my heart! It was like dragging on a milkshake, now gurgling, and I've done some much fiddling with it I've lost the silicone ring around the tip! So now its gone the opposite direction and feel like I'm pulling on air! I'm getting another tank next week, retailer sending me a DCT tank to try. This C5+ has also got a tapered tip which I'm not sure I like.

I just want something easy and non fiddly but this is doing my head in. Was hoping I could fiddle with the liquids on this so that I could wean down on the nicotine. Any advice on where I should go from here? Preferably would like to stick with the eGo type battery etc and clearo etc.

I'm wondering if I should just get some more C5+ clearomizers for this? Got this from a setup in Cork. They told me this was just part of the design on the C5+ so suggested I try the dual coil tank.

Now sorry I didn't go with the eVod

Would really appreciate any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I would go with an aspire clearo (dual coil), similar shape to the CE and designed to fit on an ego battery but a much better vape. I'm using them since around October and I've had no leaks or other problems.

http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/maxibdc.htm

You'll need some spare coils too: http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/aspireheads.htm

What shop in Cork did you go to? I find vapourpal in Ballincollig pretty good, I got my aspire clearo in there and an aspire davide tank.

http://www.vapourpal.com/accessories/clearomisers-and-tanks-ireland.html

EGriff wrote: »
    I would go with an aspire clearo (dual coil), similar shape to the CE and designed to fit on an ego battery but a much better vape. I'm using them since around October and I've had no leaks or other problems.

http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/maxibdc.htm

You'll need some spare coils too: http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/aspireheads.htm

What shop in Cork did you go to? I find vapourpal in Ballincollig pretty good, I got my aspire clearo in there and an aspire davide tank.

http://www.vapourpal.com/accessories/clearomisers-and-tanks-ireland.html

Thanks so much for replying. I didn't actually go to a shop but bought online from Sky* in Cork. Will look at the aspire alright, just don't want to keep shelling out for different kits if you know what I mean ;) Would prefer to build on what I have. Maybe the dual coil is the answer for me. Next comes the search for a decent liquid, one I have is not too bad but not mad about it (silk c*t purple or something along those lines)

My advice would be to keep the battery that you have and get a very simple Evod or H2 clearo, cheap as chips (less than €3.50) never leak, great vapour and soooo easy to use.

My advice would be to keep the battery that you have and get a very simple Evod or H2 clearo, cheap as chips (less than €3.50) never leak, great vapour and soooo easy to use.

Yeah, I was looking at the H2 alright. Just want something not too pricey, simple, that works. At that price, I'll give it a go anyhow. I've just topped this up again (it was half way) and now we're vaping reasonably well, or as good as it gets I reckon. Think I'd prefer more vape though. This is just too temperamental for my liking in any case!

Anacou wrote: »
    ...bought online from Sky* in Cork.

Ah, just those guys who were spamming here recently.

SkysVapor, stop being shit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Snowshower

Hi folks, just looking for a bit of advice here...got the kanger twist today...really happy with it ( previously bought a starter pack in an ecig shop...it was dreadful, constant burning taste, threw it out today... It had ego written on it but I think it was not the real thing). Don't know too much about these devices, anyway based on advice here I went for above.....thank you folks.

Problem::: the juices I got as part of the package are 20mg and find them too strong...my fault forgot to tell them to send 12mg...can I dilute them and if so how...

Thanks

Snowshower wrote: »
    ...it was dreadful, constant burning taste, threw it out today... It had ego written on it but I think it was not the real thing).
    The batteries were probably okay, most likely a crappy atty. eGo tank cartridges?
    Snowshower wrote: »
    Problem::: the juices I got as part of the package are 20mg and find them too strong...my fault forgot to tell them to send 12mg...can I dilute them and if so how...

Best option is to buy the juice in 0mg strength and mix to the required strength (leave note in comments and they should be able to do that if it's the Wingnuts range).
    You could also dilute it with vegetable glycerin from a pharmacy with a drop of vodka or distilled water (to thin the VG a bit), but you'll definitely lose flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Snowshower

Thanks for that..will try that out (hard work when you are on the "L" plates),!!!!

If you don't mind 10mg juice then you can just mix both bottles equally. Or try 15mg by mixing 3 parts 20mg to 1 part 0mg.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Aga-t with an evic running on a mesh set up. Gaurenteed to keep a new vaper entertained.

Jesus its been a while since I've been in here, where have all the handbags come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Aga-t with an evic running on a mesh set up. Gaurenteed to keep a new vaper entertained.

Jesus its been a while since I've been in here, where have all the handbags come from?

Maybe you should stay away for another while if you have a problem with new people asking a few questions!!

Tickityboo wrote: »
    Maybe you should stay away for another while if you have a problem with new people asking a few questions!!

The paranoia must be spreading...

Read this thread from the start and you'll see his comment had nothing to do with Snowshower or yourself and everything to do with somebody else's delusional histrionic babble.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

grindle wrote: »
    The paranoia must be spreading...

Read this thread from the start and you'll see his comment had nothing to do with Snowshower or yourself and everything to do with somebody else's delusional histrionic babble.

Apologies.
    makes complete sense now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

Tickityboo wrote: »
    Apologies.
    makes complete sense now.

Ah c'mon. No way anything on these forums makes sense. That's just crazy talk!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

A clean up would be handy.

Advertisement