Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Truck industry

Options
  • 14-03-2014 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm wondering does anybody have any advice on how to start off in the haulage industry when everywhere wants a min 2 years experience driving rigids and arctics,, it's frustrating.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Got out of it myself few years back and I believe it's gone to the dogs since then. Problem is there's a queue a mile long with guys willing to work for 8.65 an hour who have more than two years experience and are desperate for hours. Employers know this and are taking full advantage. Know one lad who accepted a job for 5.50 an hour just to get experience and that was on the arctics. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Romeo83

Bloody hell, that's shocking! I'm lucky enough to have a job but want a career change and it's something I always wanted to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Romeo83 wrote: »
    Bloody hell, that's shocking! I'm lucky enough to have a job but want a career change and it's something I always wanted to do.

Yeah I loved it also but they kept reducing the rates making it impossible to pay the bills. Was on decent money at one stage bringing in over 1200 a week back in the boom times but those days are long gone. Lads are lucky to see 350 a week now after taxes for a 45hrs week. Race to the bottom same as most sectors accept IT and the like.

Advertisement