Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

someone trying to get into my emails

Options
  • 14-03-2014 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hope someone can help had a message from goggle that someone tryd to get into my email account, had a look at there ip address and its someone from the usa. Ive changed my password and ran malware and avg. How could they get my password and is there anything else i should do. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Was the message really from Google though? They can get your password by stealing them (via security breaches or spyware) from another site where you used the same account name and password. So make sure you have a different passwords for all your sites. I use Lastpass to manage them all. It's very easy to use and is free. https://lastpass.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Clicking on links uncle _sam says will help protect your privacy I don't so. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭eggox

Was the message really from Google though? They can get your password by stealing them (via security breaches or spyware) from another site where you used the same account name and password. So make sure you have a different passwords for all your sites. I use Lastpass to manage them all. It's very easy to use and is free. https://lastpass.com/
    Thanks for the reply, im fairly sure its from google as i have it set up to txt my mobile if someone trys. I think ill try last pass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭rey8px2m7altcs

In an email someone can msg you but easily change the sent from info. Ignore it as spam.
    You can always check who has logged on by going to you email. Very bottom right hand said it will say something like this:
    Last account activity: 0 minutes ago
    Details

Click the details button and it will open an activity chart for your account. It shows the access type like on mine it has browser, android phone and so on. next to them are the location IPs.

Don't forget you can always set up Google 2 step verfication, just google it or here is the google link:
    http://www.google.com/landing/2step/

I adore it!!!
    I used to get it to send me texts every time I log in but now they have an app called "Google authenticator". Generates a code every 6 seconds so no need for phone server etc.
    Another way to verify when you log in is by manual codes. I have 10 codes they generate in case you cannot use your phone (had it happen once with no phone service).

Oh yeah and no way in hell use something that saves your password like the guy above. I have a tier system it works like:
    Tier 1 = temp password for unsafe site or quick sign up.
    Tier 2 = Facebook, sites I actually use but are not exactly life or death
    Tier 3 = Email
    Tier 4 = Ebay, Amazon
    Tier 5 = Paypal

I am a lil over zealous... however then again a friend got hacked last week, they stole €100 our of her paypal :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Oh yeah and no way in hell use something that saves your password like the guy above. I have a tier system it works like:
    Tier 1 = temp password for unsafe site or quick sign up.
    Tier 2 = Facebook, sites I actually use but are not exactly life or death
    Tier 3 = Email
    Tier 4 = Ebay, Amazon
    Tier 5 = Paypal

I am a lil over zealous... however then again a friend got hacked last week, they stole €100 our of her paypal :/

There is nothing wrong with using Lastpass . Steve Gibson, a security expert I trust, gives it his stamp of approval and that is good enough for me. Go to 1:12:00 , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9Q_anb7pwg he explains it.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

LastPass all the way for me too - as safe as you'll get and a unique encrypted password for every account.

Teagwee wrote: »
    LastPass all the way for me too - as safe as you'll get and a unique encrypted password for every account.

How can a password truly be unique? The odds of it not being repeated by at least one person are astronomical. An why not just make one? Head butt your keyboard and then throw in random symbols. Tends to work and so one can get the same facial dent as you :P lol

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

How can a password truly be unique? The odds of it not being repeated by at least one person are astronomical. An why not just make one? Head butt your keyboard and then throw in random symbols. Tends to work and so one can get the same facial dent as you :P lol

That's basically what you get with LastPass - loads of random letters and numbers and as many as you like in each password. I usually have 12 characters in mine - even more than in the lotto, and that's only numbers. Yes, you could do the same with your keyboard. The problem is remembering them for next time! :D

Teagwee wrote: »
    That's basically what you get with LastPass - loads of random letters and numbers and as many as you like in each password. I usually have 12 characters in mine - even more than in the lotto, and that's only numbers. Yes, you could do the same with your keyboard. The problem is remembering them for next time! :D

I'll be honest I just use google chrome now. I have it set so it needs a pass phrase to access the passwords but yeah XD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

If you use enough random characters the odds of someone having the same password as you are astronomical.

Considering the amount of characters available and case sensitivity you're talking about hundreds of trillions to 1 for a 8 digit password.

Advertisement