Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Foundation Programme

Options
  • 15-03-2014 2:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there, I'm in final med and got offered an FY1 position in London this week.

I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into going to the UK for Foundation Programme instead of staying to intern here. I get the impression the hours, training and support are better than here (worse wages though), but imagine this would vary considerably according to location.
    UK is a place I would consider in the future for training schemes - does anyone know how advantageous it would be later, when applying for schemes, to have done the FY's there and already have a foot in the door so to speak?

One glaring negative is that I've heard graduates from Irish med schools who do the Foundation years in the UK are not subsequently eligible for Irish training schemes, as equivalence between the Irish and UK intern programmes hasn't been assessed. So essentially could only come back to locum or as a consultant. However, many seem completely unaware of this. Is anyone familiar with the rule, or know how stringent it is?

I can't find much discussion on here about UKFP so would appreciate reading anyone's experiences/knowledge of it!
    Anyone else deliberating over an offer? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭chanste

I could be wrong but I think there is a problem at the moment whereby the UK are not recognizing the MRCPI for application to higher schemes. A work around is obviously to do both MRCP and MRCPI exams but that's not ideal. The RCPI are actively trying to remedy this at the moment and should be sorted by the end of the year.

As regards entry to BST schemes, I think the process is purely divided by those that have EU citizenship and those that don't, and who are only assigned posts which were unfilled by EU citizens. Some regions are not filling all there places though so most people will be offered something.

The website is actually quite good for explaining this sort of thing. www.rcpi.ie

Also regarding FY, I've only met 1 person who has done them, and had just moved back to Ireland when I started the intern year. He was very good so I would think that the extra year stands to you quite well. But maybe more so in the UK where NOT having it is the problem.

Advertisement