Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Start again?

• 15-03-2014 9:38am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭

So my lawn has been terrorised Iver the winter by my dog(who also uses it as a toilet despite my best efforts)
    Should I dig around the existing grass and sow seed or just start again?
    I'm hoping there's an existing network that'll wake up soon as the warm weather comes in.
    EAD447C5-E2BB-4529-8480-3F4D3A4E3DCA.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

You could chance giving the ground (bare patches) a rub of a rake to break up the top inch or so and then apply a sand and seed mix and lightly rake in and see how you get on.
    Alternatively redo the whole area by spraying with a weedkiller and start from scratch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,678 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It rather looks as though the grass that is there is scutch, which is dog-proof, pretty well, but not a lot else to be said for it. If you sow seed you will get a patchy mixture of lawn grass and scutch, this actually describes most back garden lawns, so it depends on what kind of quality you want :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

looksee wrote: »
    It rather looks as though the grass that is there is scutch, which is dog-proof, pretty well, but not a lot else to be said for it. If you sow seed you will get a patchy mixture of lawn grass and scutch, this actually describes most back garden lawns, so it depends on what kind of quality you want :-)
    You're right there is some scutch there too, in that case he'd be better off redoing the whole area from scratch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

My OCD wont allow me take a chance I was gonna try that take idea but its a faint hope it would really work. This lawn needs to be tough it gets a lot of abuse.
    I'll start again.
    Thanks lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

You can get different types of grass. Look into that and try get a hard-wearing mix of seed. A type used on sports pitches maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

What's the best way to get rid of patches of skutch grass in an established lawn? I was going to dig it out
    and use a lawn repair mixture on the patches. Any other suggestions?

Slash it criss-cross with a kitchen knife and remove what you can. Keep at it and sow new seed in its place once its gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

Cheers, I'll give that a go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I'd say digging it out would be more effective in the short and longterm....

Have this all dug out and it's been sitting for a few days.
    Going in endless circles trying to remove all the pebbles, broken delph, roots but I'm gonna sow the seed today. It's nowhere near as level as I'd like it but its much much better than it was.
    ED722AAB-2A59-4EA8-88FF-494EFCFF35AB.jpg

• Advertisement

Fab job. Key thing is to make sure the seed doesn't have a dry day. So if there is no rain give it a light watering with a hose/ sprinkler each evening. Windy days can dry out the soil surface too so make allowances for that.

Will do redser thanks.
    I tried a little experiment with my own and have been watering it with miracle gro. This is only two weeks old. It's coming up patchy but it'll balance out of I hope it will
    87F48977-02F6-414C-A0AD-7098C940B3B7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

ah it will, it'll get better. Good job anyway. Well done.... well done indeed.....

follow up..this is me elderly neighbours yard i resowed last month..just gave it a cut today
    its not st andrews but its ok..bit patchy but ill fix that.
    10320596_10152834653278032_5130218704128112265_n.jpg

this is it exactly 1 month ago(19 april) so that miracle gro stuff does work...
    10256131_10152757488888032_3433580799796028782_n.jpg

me own worked out well..i'll be all over it this year so i dont have to do this again next year
    10297624_10152828226843032_5925168589689691021_n.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

You have very good soil...lookig at the wall behind it looks like you may be living on what was once an orchard or something similar..am i right?

I'm not sure Chopper? there are no apple trees here now sadly. These houses are really old and the wall is even older, theres some massive oak trees on the far side, thats all i know. And the soil is very very dark, almost black..not sure if thats a good or bad thing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

david75 wrote: »
    I'm not sure Chopper? there are no apple trees here now sadly. These houses are really old and the wall is even older, theres some massive oak trees on the far side, thats all i know. And the soil is very very dark, almost black..not sure if thats a good or bad thing?

Dark,sandy soil like that is a godsend. It's full of nutrients and vey easy to work with...no tendency to form clumps for example.

It's obviously been tilled for many decades and either grew fruit or vegetables i reckon.

I'll look it up. You might well be right!

Advertisement