Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bringing a car home to sell

Options
  • 15-03-2014 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello to All,
    I have recently moved to the UK and I am looking at buying a car here. Once it comes time to sell the car I want to consider the option of bringing the car home to sell it there and then put a new car on the road here in the UK.

I am looking for people that have experience of doing this or advice on such an idea as i don't want to make a loss on the transaction if trying to sell in Ireland actually I am hoping to make a bit of a mark-up.

If this is a viable option for selling the car on then it may influence the type of car that i purchase here in the UK.

All advice greatly appreciated
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

To sell the car in the ROI, you'll need to VRT it. If you've owned the car for over twelve months prior to moving back to Ireland, you'll pay a nominal registration fee for VRT (€50 or something like that). However, when you pay the nominal fee, you cannot sell the car for 2 years after the registration date or you've to pay the full VRT amount.

You can practically "sell" it on UK plates when resident in Ireland, but this is technically illegal as it should be registered with Irish plates when you come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i think its 1 year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Yep, actually you're right, you need to own the car for 1 year prior to coming home.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/transfer-residence-duty-free-vehicles.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

6 months the last time I checked. . .was a while ago though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

It doesn't sound as if the OP is transferring his residence back to Ireland so he would not be entitled to the VRT exemption in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Fergaldogg

Thanks to all for the advice so far, Marcusm is right I am not planning to move back to Ireland yet, But only planning to bring the car over to sell it there, in the hope that i will get a better price than i would in the UK.

I will have to put the car on Irish plates and pay the VRT i am hoping that it still might be worth it?? I will be home visting family and friends on a regular basis any way.

The other option is to identify bring a car back to order. I am guessing a scenario where someone has identified a make and model that they want here and i would bring it over and do the paper work??

Advertisement