Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JavaScript mobile frameworks + PhoneGap for native app development

Options
  • 15-03-2014 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone here has any thoughts about the viability of developing native apps for iOS and Android using PhoneGap with a HTML5/JavaScript framework such as JQuery Mobile, Titanium or Sencha Touch? I know in an ideal world I'd be learning Java and Objective C with XCode but I don't really have the time or inclination to be honest. Are there any major performance or flexibility drawbacks to using a framework with PhoneGap? I know the Facebook HTML5 debacle is well documented but just wondering what everyone else's thoughts are on the matter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

My thoughts after working on PhoneGap, Titanium and native apps over the last few years:

PhoneGap

PhoneGap is basically a webview, launching the HTML page (with appropriate css + js).

In theory it's a great idea, the reality IMO is quite different.

For someone coming from a web backaground, it's easy to pick up, but there are some huge performance issues especially if you want any complexity and/or want to try to emulate native interactions.

I found you quickly hit the limit of what it can do if you have any complexity if the app.

The thing that annoyed me the most, was the ever-so-slight delay when interacting with elements on the page which made it seem very unresponsive.

The reason for this is that you're running a browser within your app, so the interaction is:

touch > app intercepts touch > passes it to browser > browser passes it to the app > HTML5/javascript responds

Titanium

Titanium is not related to PhoneGap, it is a separate framework where you build your app in javascript and then it compiles to native code for each platform.

This has the performance of native with the language of familiarity. However, you also hit it's limit fairly quickly, and this also forces you to use the same conventions in both iOS and Android, rather than playing to their strengths.

Bottom line

These frameworks are good for what they are, but building anything of complexity you'll hit their limits and have to hack them to get them to do what you ant them to do. For me native wins every time if you want a slick, fast, responsive app. The downside is you need to learn Java and/or Objective C.

Advertisement