Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile broadband for one month

Options
  • 15-03-2014 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

I need to relocate to Dublin for a month (possibly longer) and am staying with a friend of mine in North Dublin. She has no Internet connection, so am looking into 'mobile broadband options with no contract.' I need to have access to the Internet for my job.

Anyway, it would appear that across the board I can get a dongle thingy for 20 quid and then pay around 20 quid for the monthly access. Is that right, just making sure there are no catches involved? It would be good to know that for £40 I could cover my Internet usage for a month without having to get tied up in contracts (whilst also having the option of extending for a month if needs be) ?

Also, any recommendations on the best provider to go with?

I'm completely clueless with this sort of thing, so any advice/feedback would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

YOU could buy a 3 android phone,
    buy 20 euros credit, get no limit 3g data net acess for 30 days .
    no contract needed.
    i have a 3 phone.
    3g signal good in most parts of dublin.
    MAYBE get phone that has usb, or wifi tether mode.
    i have no contract.
    And you can use credit to text, make calls in say 2 months from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

I was kind of in the same situation last year while i moved into the new apartment,there was a bit of hassle in getting the broadband setup....

I was on tesco mobile at the time.. they had advertised that when you top up by €25 a month you get unlimited data, which in fact was 15gb,, but that is alot for just general phone use... Anyways if you are looking for it for just emails and browsing and the like then it works great.

You can also use thethering, to connect it to your laptop of desktop, you basically turn your phone into a wifi hot spot that you machine picks up as a wireless signal,, job done,, speed is an issue but like i say if you are stuck it is great for general use, no contracts or nothing..

• Registered Users Posts: 21 AutumnLady

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Actually, I'm pretty old school. My mobile belongs to the 'brick' category of years gone by. It's used simply to make calls and has no 'internet' function.

So, I'd just be looking for a modem style arrangement that I would use with my laptop.

Any other ideas/suggestions? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Power Gear

Vodafone Mobile WiFi R206 prepay.

40 euro in a Vodafone shop. Register it in the shop and you will get 20 euro registration credit. With that 20 euro you can buy a 5gb data add on for 30 days. Ask them in the shop to buy the add on for you as the 20 euro will not last long without buying the monthly add on.

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/internet-and-broadband/mobile-broadband/device-details/vodafone-mobile-wifi-r206

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭rey8px2m7altcs

My honest opinion is buy a cheap android phone. It is very easy to set it up to broadcast wifi. You can ask them in store to help you set it up and then it's done, you could even keep it always sending out wifi (with a password!) so all you do is charge the phone. It would mean the cost of a phone plus the €20 on three.ie for 15GB of data. That is tons of data plus they don't seem to cut you off either.

Or you can get a modem but look at the prices yourself! They cost the same as a phone but to get data it costs €25 and you get only half the data 7.5GB. Honestly seems like the phone option is much much better.

http://www.three.ie/online/shop/DeviceListing.aspx?tf=Prepay&p=data

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

make sure phone has wifi tethering ,in wifi,settings,network, tether,
    USING USB tether mode ,maybe easier on the phone battery.
    Install opera browser from playstore ,it uses proxy, to speed up browsing.
    reduces the amount of data you use to load a website.
    i have 2 android phones, they take 3 hours to charge.
    different models.
    most samsung phones have this.
    Make sure phone has at least 500meg ram.

Advertisement