Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting a balcony railings- potential issues ?

Options
  • 15-03-2014 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭

I was thinking of painting the balcony railings in the apartment I rent as they are faded and the paint is beginning to crack and flake. I know my landlady wouldn't have a problem with it and I'll be doing it at my own cost.
    But I was wondering does anyone know where things stand with the mgmt co. I know the terms of a standard lease in multi unit dwellings would usually state that the mgmt co owns the balcony and gives the leasee ( my landlady ) an exclusive license to use it. So it appears that ownership of the balcony lies with the mgmt co but what about maintenance of it, i.e. painting it ? Do they take responsibility for it ? If so how often should they paint it ? The apartment is now 8 years old and it's never been done while I've been here four years and when I arrived it the paint didn't look the best to begin with so it's likely it's never been painted since the initial installation.

I want to go ahead and do the job at my own cost and I want to paint it the same colour (black). But what I don't want is the mgmt co later saying that it is a different shade of black than all the other balconies or that they alone can paint it. Anyone know the score ? Also just out of interest what if someone did go and paint their balcony railing a different colour than all the rest ? Does anyone know of it happening ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Basically you can't. It's not your property, it's not your landlady's property. While you may think it would be improving the appearance it's akin to vandalism of management company property.

The management company would have a schedule for painting, maintenance etc but this would be budget dependent. Your only course of action is to ask your landlady to request that they paint them. Under no circumstances should you paint them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Your landlady needs to find out what the specific conditions of her agreement with the management company say. Sometimes all external maintenance must be done by the tenant, but to their specifications.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OP- *do not paint the balcony* or anywhere else on the exterior of the property (including the door frame etc). Without exception- these are the duties of the Management Company- and it is not in your landlord's giving, to allow you to any exterior maintenance whatsoever. It is not the case that you can paint it to the specifications of the Management Company- you are expressly prohibited from undertaking the work- and indeed, may void the Management Company's insurance if you do so (I presume you don't have your own personal indemnity insurance..........)

It is not in your landlord's giving to give you the go-ahead to do the work- nor indeed is it in the Management Company's giving- they maintain the exterior of the properties to a schedule, and use proper contractors, who have insurance in case they have an accident etc- to undertake work for them.

Don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

We got new neighbours who bought and renovated their apartment recently, and one of the things they did was paint their balcony (the same color as it was previously). I wouldn't do anything without it being run by the management company, but I can't see the harm in asking (or having your landlord ask them); the worst they can say is no.

djimi wrote: »
    I can't see the harm in asking (or having your landlord ask them); the worst they can say is no.
    Management Companies should not deal with tenants, there is no legal relationship between the two. In cases of emergencies of course they should deal with tenants but on issues of aesthetics, budgets and common property, all communications should be with the owner of the property ie the member of the management company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP- *do not paint the balcony* or anywhere else on the exterior of the property (including the door frame etc). Without exception- these are the duties of the Management Company- and it is not in your landlord's giving, to allow you to any exterior maintenance whatsoever. It is not the case that you can paint it to the specifications of the Management Company- you are expressly prohibited from undertaking the work- and indeed, may void the Management Company's insurance if you do so (I presume you don't have your own personal indemnity insurance..........)

It is not in your landlord's giving to give you the go-ahead to do the work- nor indeed is it in the Management Company's giving- they maintain the exterior of the properties to a schedule, and use proper contractors, who have insurance in case they have an accident etc- to undertake work for them.

Don't do it.

Sorry, but I do not see how you can be so sure about this unless you actually see the landlord's contract with the management company.

I can certainly think of situations where the MC might delegate some or all exterior maintenance to individual owners.

And I know for a fact that there are MC's out there which do not have any type of maintenance schedule in place.

What I do agree is that the OP does not deal directly with the MC. They talk only to the LL, who deals with the MC.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

athtrasna wrote: »
    Management Companies should not deal with tenants, there is no legal relationship between the two. In cases of emergencies of course they should deal with tenants but on issues of aesthetics, budgets and common property, all communications should be with the owner of the property ie the member of the management company.

Yes I am only too well aware of this. Hence me saying or having your landlord ask them...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thanks for the replies folks, I suppose I better ask my landlady to ask the mgmt co what the score is. If they won't permit me to DIY then hopefully it might give them a reminder that it needs doing, it's quite weather beaten at this stage and really needs doing

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies folks, I suppose I better ask my landlady to ask the mgmt co what the score is. If they won't permit me to DIY then hopefully it might give them a reminder that it needs doing, it's quite weather beaten at this stage and really needs doing

It needing to be done and it being in the budget are two different things. Many management companies are struggling to cover essentials like lighting, insurance and refuse, painting falls down the list. While it might seem like an attractive proposition to have an owner/tenant do the work, there are a lot of issues for the management company to consider.

Advertisement