Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So did Celtic really need Rangers after all?

• 15-03-2014 3:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭

Been reading that Celtic's attendances are way down this season, and with the title a foregone conclusion practically every season now, is it fair to say that Celtic and Rangers do need each other?

Anyone know their official average attendance this season?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I'm fairly certain that Celtic don't need Rangers if it means they will win the title every single year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

OK thats true, but with them they might have had a 50/50 chance anyway.

Without them, their fans are obviously getting bored to attending games, if the empty terraces are anything to go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

It's a bit boring without them alright...not more, not less ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Dante

Hopefully they'll die off too.

They were one of those teams who were meant to have unbelievable fans, yet they seem to have abandoned them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

NIMAN wrote: »
    They were one of those teams who were meant to have unbelievable fans, yet they seem to have abandoned them.

They haven't abandoned them, Celtic still have 46000 season ticket holders even if they don't all turn up for every domestic game. Celtic have had less than full capacity attendances before, in the 90's in the 80's when Rangers were in the SPL. The crowds are down for various reasons. Lack of competition is one of them. If Aberdeen or Dundee United continue improving they might represent more of a challenge in years to come.

To answer your op question if Rangers were still around and in the SPL domestic attendances probably would be a bit bigger especially for Celtic v Rangers games, but Celtic don't need Rangers or their tribute act to flourish. Celtic controls it's own destiny.

Would you say Celtic are flourishing?

I notice that the BBC list most of the home attendances this season as between 44 - 46,000, but from a cousin who is a season ticket holder, I am told they are getting nowhere near this. Why give season ticket holders rather than actually those that turn up at games?

I do honestly think that Celtic do need Rangers, or the SPL needs both of them in the same league, whatever way you want to look at it. If Celtic were winning the league by 25pts every season then the crowds would gradually fall off. That is guaranteed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

I notice that the BBC list most of the home attendances this season as between 44 - 46,000, but from a cousin who is a season ticket holder, I am told they are getting nowhere near this. Why give season ticket holders rather than actually those that turn up at games?

I do honestly think that Celtic do need Rangers, or the SPL needs both of them in the same league, whatever way you want to look at it. If Celtic were winning the league by 25pts every season then the crowds would gradually fall off. That is guaranteed.

No you are wrong. If Celtic win the league by 25 points or more every season from now on they would still maintain around 46000 season ticket holders, provided they continue to qualify for the champions League and do reasonably well in it. Playing in Europe after Christmas in the CL or in the Europa League would help a lot to keep fans interest levels up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

From a competitive point of view they certainly need them.
    It was summed up here a few months ago on the Celtic thread.

When Rangers were in the league every league game was important, because if you could not afford to drop points because it gave the other team a chance to extend or close a gap.

But now Celtic can coast through every game, go down by a few goals and come back to win, afford to loose a few, and still win the league handy.

This has an adverse effect on them when it comes to the tougher competition in Europe.

The longer Celtic dominate Scotland the poorer they will become in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Yeah Celtic are going to be really upset about winning the title every year. That makes loads of sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I'd say those figures are accurate enough for our attendances.

Attendances are down, no doubting that, but we're also making record profit during a massive recession, have no debt, and are regularly doing well in Europe in a league that is a glorified LoI standard.

Basically we're doing well in a league that we've long outgrown, our biggest rivals are dead and our income is increasing. Our average attendance is still better than most EPL teams and given the dross we're playing against that's remarkable.

Financially we are flourishing but the SPFL is a dead duck and will remain that way. Our future lies outside the SPFL... but God knows where.

To answer your question... To date it's clear to me that we don't miss the death of our closest rivals but, like before, it's essential that we get out of Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

It's bad for the league, was poor enough anyway but at least there was some kind of fight between the two

I think you have hit the nail on the head there Bobby.

I think some sort of Euro League will have to happen eventually, as many of the leagues around Europe are lacking in competition outside of the top few teams.

How ans when this happens is another question though.

Despite my original question sounding like a dig, I have to say that getting 45000 to watch muck opponents is admirable. And it makes you think what the club could achieve if they were playing down South or against bigger teams every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭dmc17

CSF wrote: »
    Yeah Celtic are going to be really upset about winning the title every year. That makes loads of sense.

That's not the issue at all. The issue is the lack of competition for them. A bit of healthy competition is a great incentive to continuously improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭CSF

dmc17 wrote: »
    That's not the issue at all. The issue is the lack of competition for them. A bit of healthy competition is a great incentive to continuously improve.
    I sincerely doubt Celtic want serious competition in the SPL. Champions League group stages is now their new measure to judge themselves upon. If anything they'll be disappointed that they aren't going to win a domestic cup this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

To answer your question... To date it's clear to me that we don't miss the death of our closest rivals but, like before, it's essential that we get out of Scotland.

to where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

He has a point.

Monopolizing a league which is already a graveyard is not a good thing.

What reason do any players have to come to Celtic?

No chance of European progression, no big derby games to get players/fans/management motivated.

It's like WWE without WCW to push them. It isn't quite as strong as it once was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What's the point of Batman without the Joker?

Watch a Celtic game this season. Half the stadium is empty.

Celtic do need Rangers as they need competition in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

rarnes1 wrote: »

It is competition that is needed not Rangers or whatever they call themselves nowadays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

SPL isn't worth much anyway, but Rangers and Celtic brought a decent amount of TV money in, which is now not available to Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

CSF wrote: »
    I sincerely doubt Celtic want serious competition in the SPL. Champions League group stages is now their new measure to judge themselves upon. If anything they'll be disappointed that they aren't going to win a domestic cup this year.

of course we wan competition, what an odd thing to say. Agreed, poor cup performances have been a big let down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Watch a Celtic game this season. Half the stadium is empty.

Rangers are dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Rangers are dead

Correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

titan18 wrote: »
    SPL isn't worth much anyway, but Rangers and Celtic brought a decent amount of TV money in, which is now not available to Celtic.

The TV money isn't much with or without Rangers. In Rangers last season in the SPL, the league winners only got something like £1.5m in total. Given Celtic turnover between £50m and £70m, depending on the CL, domestic TV money is pittance in comparison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Moneymaker wrote: »
    What reason do any players have to come to Celtic?

No chance of European progression, no big derby games to get players/fans/management motivated.

Look at the likes of Hooper, Ki, Wanyama etc. A move to Celtic gives them the opportunity to win medals, the play in the Champions League, and on front of between 40 & 60k every second week. More importantly for them however, its a shop window for the EPL. I would think for a player with ambitions to play in the EPL, Celtic is a great stepping stone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Look at the likes of Hooper, Ki, Wanyama etc. A move to Celtic gives them the opportunity to win medals, the play in the Champions League, and on front of between 40 & 60k every second week. More importantly for them however, its a shop window for the EPL. I would think for a player with ambitions to play in the EPL, Celtic is a great stepping stone

Exactly. A stepping stone. That's exactly the problem. People should be coming to Celtic to compete at a European level, but they aren't. And that problem will get worse the longer they don't have any competition.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement