Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent gyms for free weights in dublin city centre?

Options
  • 15-03-2014 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I live in north wall (basically the point) and commute via red line luas every day.
    I'm looking for a decent gym to join.

Pros:

- the closer (walking distance) to a red-line Luas stop the better (preferably Abby street, or the point)

- good weightlifting facilities (squat rack, lifting platform, bench etc) are essential

- the less busy at peak times (after work) be better

- I paid €35 a month in my last gym ( or €420 a year) and thought that was very reasonable, so anything near that would be great!

What suggestions do you guys have?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

hercules on lurgan street, about 5 min walk from top of capel st

power gym, upper dominick street

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Ben Dunne gym on Jervis street - haven't been in three years but had decent free weight set up from what I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭theKillerBite

Abs besides the Olympia??

the-abs-gym-personal-trainer-dublin-1024x258.jpg

http://www.theabsgym.com/about/

Never been there so don't know if its good.

Planemo wrote: »
    Ben Dunne gym on Jervis street - haven't been in three years but had decent free weight set up from what I remember.

only goes up to 30kg iirc, always crowded at peak times too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

I was shocked at the lack of free weight based gyms when I moved to Dublin a few years ago. Looks like nothing has changed in the last few years.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

only goes up to 30kg iirc, always crowded at peak times too

30kg sounds like nothing, is there some insurance reason or something ?

Vandango wrote: »
    I was shocked at the lack of free weight based gyms when I moved to Dublin a few years ago. Looks like nothing has changed in the last few years.:(

I'd thought there was a boom in free weights over the last couple of years, a lot of them seem to have popped up in industrial estates so walking isn't really an option. But lifting seems to be growing in popularity and places seemed to have opened up in response.

OP you should check out the gym at Trinity College, they have public memberships for around €400 or so. The free weights section wouldn't be the biggest you'll ever see but the rugby and GAA teams train in it so it likely has everything you need as well as a swimming pool,sauna and steam room in the basement and squash courts and climbing wall upstairs. You get get off the Luas at Mayor Street and from there the Trinity gym is only a 5 minute walk across the river. It can be busy enough at peak times but most people are there for cardio. From the middle of May to the beginning of October the place is peacefully quiet as all the students and some of the staff are gone for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

What about the place on north frederick street can't remember the name.

What about the place on north frederick street can't remember the name.

they have moved to just off mountjoy square now (fitzgibbon st)

Plenty of free weight gyms opened up in dublin, just not in the location he asking. However the 2 I mentioned earlier are very good. Free weights up to 70kg and more

only about a 15 min walk

they have moved to just off mountjoy square now (fitzgibbon st)

Plenty of free weight gyms opened up in dublin, just not in the location he asking. However the 2 I mentioned earlier are very good. Free weights up to 70kg and more

only about a 15 min walk

I remember the one on Dominick Street. It was called powerhouse then but I don't think it was affiliated with the chain.

powerhouse closed down in 2009 and moved to kilbarrack, this gym opened up in Dec 2013-same place but they have spent alot on the weights and the building itself

• Advertisement

powerhouse closed down in 2009 and moved to kilbarrack, this gym opened up in Dec 2013-same place but they have spent alot on the weights and the building itself

No way. Kind of liked the character of the old place. Except when it flooded. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Flyefit Macken Street?

Advertisement