Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What makes a social network popular ?

Options
  • 15-03-2014 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Im in the process of building a social network and i need some tips as to what make them popular. Im not expecting it to grow hugely its just something i want to try and achieve. If anyone could give me tips it would be greatly appreciated, also if anyone would be interested in helping send me a pm, Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭jgh_

Critical mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

A hook, and as said above, Critical Mass.

When Facebook started, it was only available to Harvard students. Nothing makes people want to be part of something like being told they cant. That was the hook. Then it started expanding to surrounding colleges. Eventually it reached critical mass. Now all they have to do is not pull a MySpace on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭sw33t_r3v3ng3

DjFlin wrote: »
    A hook, and as said above, Critical Mass.

When Facebook started, it was only available to Harvard students. Nothing makes people want to be part of something like being told they cant. That was the hook. Then it started expanding to surrounding colleges. Eventually it reached critical mass. Now all they have to do is not pull a MySpace on it.

Suppose your right, I get that they become popular because of being part of an 'elite' group, its makes people feel special. But how do you achieve this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

You can't social networks have been done to death. If Google can't make their social network succeed then what hope do mere mortals have?

You can't social networks have been done to death. If Google can't make their social network succeed then what hope do mere mortals have?

The only reason google plus completely and utterly failed was because of google. Google in my opinion basically copied twitter. They tried to make it successful and it failed, so instead of saying okay our company is already worth hundreds of billions of dollars forget google plus, we'll force it onto people instead. Which as you can see doesnt work...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭dmc17

People

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭dmc17

Suppose your right, I get that they become popular because of being part of an 'elite' group, its makes people feel special. But how do you achieve this ?

That's quite literally the billion dollar question.

You give them something convenient and addictive that they'll access a hundred times every day.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The only reason google plus completely and utterly failed...

Did it? OK, it didn't become Facebook, but that makes it a success as far as I'm concerned. I still have a Facebook account because it's the easiest way to stay in touch with some of my family, but G+ is where I go to get away from it.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Did it? OK, it didn't become Facebook, but that makes it a success as far as I'm concerned. I still have a Facebook account because it's the easiest way to stay in touch with some of my family, but G+ is where I go to get away from it.

im just talking about the general population. I bet that out of everyone who has a google plus account, only 40-50% of them use it.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

im just talking about the general population. I bet that out of everyone who has a google plus account, only 40-50% of them use it.

If your criterion for success is that more than half the general population is using your social network, you may be setting your sights a little high.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

But how do you achieve this ?

The simplified version in a few words? Positive feedback loops.

Content creators get positive feedback on their content from content consumers.

As a result, the creators come back to post some more, and the consumers keep coming back to see what new content has been created.

And on the loop goes... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

If Google can't make their social network succeed then what hope do mere mortals have?
    Google's attempts have been classic me-too efforts from non-entrepreneurs who are not fully invested in their venture. Much the same thing has been going on for decades - Microsoft and IBM for example.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Im in the process of building a social network and i need some tips as to what make them popular. Im not expecting it to grow hugely its just something i want to try and achieve. If anyone could give me tips it would be greatly appreciated, also if anyone would be interested in helping send me a pm, Thanks in advance.
    Community.
    Community.
    Communities.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement