Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken firing pins.

Options
  • 15-03-2014 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was out shooting a few clay's today. After the first five shot the firing pin broke in my first barrel so I had to carry on with only my second, which really took the fun out of it.So I didn't stay for long when I got home I took the gun out to have a look and the pin in the second barrel fell out.

It seems strange that both would break in one day.I have had the gun for over 10 years and never had any issues,s.Its an antonio Zoli s*s and cartridge was Bespoke by Game Bore.

Anyone have any experience of this problem?

Are they hard to replace?

How much would it cost for parts or if I was to pay a gun smith?

Thanks..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

The anvils in the primers in the cartridges might have been a bit harder than usual and showed up any cracks in the pins. Not a big job replacing them, also get a second set while you are at it and have them for spares.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Shouldn't be to hard to replace. At least they broke together and are been replaced together. Even wear and tear is the way I would look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

Allot of lads would say dry firing will do that but I think the whole " don't dry fire" crack came from years ago when the steel was more brittle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Dry firing would be hard on them to be fair but I'd always preferre ease the springs I think its the lesser of two evils.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭darrenon

Thanks for the response's.

I stripped the gun down today(nice to see what happens as you push and pull the different levers.)

It was easy enough to do. I have the two pins out and I got some other repairs done.

Where is the best place to get new pins? I suppose I'd have to go to the local gun suppliers... or is there some where online that might be cheaper?

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

darrenon wrote: »
    Thanks for the response's.

I stripped the gun down today(nice to see what happens as you push and pull the different levers.)

It was easy enough to do. I have the two pins out and I got some other repairs done.

Where is the best place to get new pins? I suppose I'd have to go to the local gun suppliers... or is there some where online that might be cheaper?

Thanks again

Best place to look for them lad is where you bought the gun. Keep in mind when you go at it that the pins are what sets off that powder explosion beside your face, last thing you want is a pin with its own mind or one jutting out enough to set the cartridge off as you close it.
    Best of luck sorting it lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

valerossi wrote: »
    Allot of lads would say dry firing will do that but I think the whole " don't dry fire" crack came from years ago when the steel was more brittle.
    Zoli make a quality gun. As both pins failed at almost the same time it strongly suggests that dry-firing was the cause. Anyone worried about leaving the mainsprings cocked should buy a set of snap-caps.

http://imageshack.com/a/img191/6127/h5kc.jpg
    http://imageshack.com/a/img199/7685/azwb.jpg
    http://imageshack.com/a/img203/7343/2kzm.jpg

The problem is I bought the gun through a private sale, I don't even know what model it is??

I don't think I'll have any issue fitting the new pins. I was lucky that I found one of the broken bits so ill be able to compare the replacement.

The gun is stored in a safe with snap-caps as for dry firing it could be but its not something I'd be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Knocknagoshel Shooting Grounds in Kerry are main agents for Zoli and Walter Blacklaw 086 3719609 is a Zoli approved gunsmith (I think that number is still OK).

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Mezamo

It was made in 1978!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help, I think I have it sorted now.

Advertisement