Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shock absorber linkage seized, help! Pic included...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

A good trick is to check where the linkages pivot and see if there is clearance to fit an o ring of the correct size, even if there is an oil seal there. The O-ring provides another layer of protection against water getting in to the bearings.
    Of course since you have the linkage out why not drill and tap some holes for grease nipples?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

rat_race wrote: »
    At least you got the linkage out... ;)

[in pantomime voice] Oh no I haven't. That torture may be before me yet. I had to have a lie down after finding the wheel hop up and down about half an inch on the play in the bearings.
    How old are the bearings/is the bike? Are they all fooked (bearings in each bore)?

I have no idea but the bike has about 19k kms since new in '02 leading me to believe they're the original, heavily neglected ones. There are three pairs (either end of the dogbone and at the swingarm) and a bush for the shock. Two of the bearing sets were trashed so I just ordered the set of six bearings, six seals (apparently it's the day one aprilia ones that are the weak point) and a set of teflon washers to take up the sideways slop on the dogbone and the swingarm bearings (I'm glad I ordered the castle nut tool for the swingarm now).
    What's your plan on getting them out? I don't have a press. I would be tempted to try to small socket one one side, big socket on the other, and a vice. Curious how well this works...

Vices and sockets seem to be more than adequate for the Mille. Apparently, keeping these bearings in good order is a bit of a doddle compared to other bikes.
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    Of course since you have the linkage out why not drill and tap some holes for grease nipples?

I've been thinking about this. Apparently keeping them greased annually is a piece of psis on the Mille so I may not bother. Let's see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

blade1 wrote: »
    I used a dremmel to cut them out before.

Also, a trick for fitting new bearing..... Put them in the freezer overnight.
    They'll go in by hand then.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

blade1 wrote: »
    Also, a trick for fitting new bearing..... Put them in the freezer overnight.
    They'll go in by hand then.

Yep, and heat the housing/linkage first too to make it even easier...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Ill second that, changed my 2 sprocket carrier and rear wheel bearings yesterday. Put the sprocket carrier in the oven and bearings in the freezer for 6 hours. They just poped in. No need to drift.

• Advertisement
Advertisement