Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comms..

Options
  • 15-03-2014 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

What comms is everyone using these days ?? Have a set of lidl ones which do for the odd skirmish but starting to do milsims now so need something a bit better, just wondering what ones are the best ones out atm, looking to spend about 50 per walkie, looking for a set of 2. Not sure if thats too little, so open to other reccomendations.

Cheers,
    Damo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Currently using a motorola XTR 446. Split the purchase of a four pack at pixmania with some friends a few years back. Have had no problems with em, also quite handy to pick up headsets, p.t.t.s and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Cant seem to find the XTR's anywhere, including pixmania. Would I be right in saying the XTB are the newer model? Seem to be the only ones I can find.

Yep, it seems you are right. The XTB appears to be the newer model, from a description on them ''Fully compatible with it's predecessor, the XTR446, the XTB446 offers an improved waterproof rating and overall more robust construction".

Only 60 euro for a pair on pixmania, 43% off :o Here's hoping they have them next week haha! What would be the best site to get headsets and the like ??

That's a very nice price. I picked up a headset off ebay, although the crowd I got them off don't sell them any more. I think the radios come with a basic boom mic headset, it's not ideal but usable for airsoft. So you could trawl through ebay or look at some of the British retailers. Sorry I couldn't be a better help.

• Advertisement

No problem man, what type of pin is it? Seems like theres so much different types of pins etc.

The XTR446 was a single pin Motorola. Not sure about the XTB, might be the same. The Amazon page for them, describes it as a single pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

I use Baofeng UV5RE+ that cost €35 each on ebay from China. Took a few weeks to arrive but they work great and you can use frequency or channel modes on them. That and a lot more functions like FM radio, torch and a few more I havent fully looked up yet TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭.22 Lover

Me and the rest of my team use binatone 750's there not spectacular but they work and headsets are not that hard to find for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

D_murph wrote: »
    I use Baofeng UV5RE+ that cost €35 each on ebay from China. Took a few weeks to arrive but they work great and you can use frequency or channel modes on them. That and a lot more functions like FM radio, torch and a few more I havent fully looked up yet TBH.

Be careful with the Baofeng radio, technically you need a licence to operate it as the output power is greater than 500mW. Using it in the 446MHz range on a higher output power won't get you into trouble but using it on frequencies outside this range will, as you require a broadcast licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭S.E.A.L.s

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    What comms is everyone using these days ?? Have a set of lidl ones which do for the odd skirmish but starting to do milsims now so need something a bit better, just wondering what ones are the best ones out atm, looking to spend about 50 per walkie, looking for a set of 2. Not sure if thats too little, so open to other reccomendations.

Cheers,
    Damo.

My team use Binatone Action 1000 and 1100's, they are a great radio for their price point (€35 to €50 euro per unit new), with all the options you'll need from a 2 way radio and they work well for MilSim's

Headsets are easy to find and most sellers on eBay offer these with them, also, as they use a standard 2.5mm socket (9.5mm deep) which is common, there are other options too

With the single pin Motorola radios however, they have a 2.5mm or 3.5mm socket (11.5mm deep) and a couple of the contacts are switched around, so you can only use Motorola headsets or ones specify designed for this socket type

On the plus side for the Motorola radios, the Headsets, mics and PTT's available are some of the best, depending on your budget ;)

Hope this helps :)

Got some of the XTN 446 which are the newer XTRs and used them this weekend and they were absolutely class, very good clarity both receiving and transmitting. Got a cavalvy headset and PTT and both work without issue too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Laucho

BTw I have the programing already done for those need it. I cant post because Im new user. can I post by PM to somebody to post it?

Cheers

Advertisement