Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a "gamer"? Do you consider yourself a "gamer"

Options
  • 15-03-2014 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

Well as the title says really.

I have played games well since the 80's.

I still wouldn't classify myself as a gamer though as I genuinely suck at most game genres.

I always took a gamer to be someone who not only is knowledgable about gaming which I think I am to a point but also someone who can finish the likes of dark souls which to me sounds like just an awful experience (awaits inevitable abuse) ...

So what is a ''gamer"?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Well as the title says really.

I have played games well since the 80's.

I still wouldn't classify myself as a gamer though as I genuinely suck at most game genres.

I always took a gamer to be someone who not only is knowledgable about gaming which I think I am to a point but also someone who can finish the likes of dark souls which to me sounds like just an awful experience (awaits inevitable abuse) ...

So what is a ''gamer"?

I used to be a gamer, then they changed what being a gamer is, now I'm not a gamer, and being a gamer is weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you.........

I'm not knowledgeable about games and not very good at them either so I'm probably not a gamer. Occasional gamer, sounds better than casual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

I play games fairly often and would fall under the category of a "gamer" but I never really liked the word...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I play games and I watch gaming related content like reviews, parodys, gaming news etc.

People that are interested in the world of gaming and not just the games themselves, is what I would consider to be a gamer and it is what I consider myself.

I assume the actual dictionary defintion is different but I have slow internet at the moment, so I'm not going through the wait of googling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I used to be a gamer, then they changed what being a gamer is, now I'm not a gamer, and being a gamer is weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you.........

No way, man! We are going to be gaming forever!..forever...forever......

I play games a lot, wouldn't call myself a gamer though. Its hard to explain.

I suppose its like how I wouldn't consider myself a cyclist, but I do cycle to work most days.

I like games, I like the games industry, but I feel like there are people who are far more interested in it than I am. I'm more of a hobbyist.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 xfireblade

some1 who plays games innit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I think you are all being harsh on yourselves
    What I consider a gamer is that you actively play games whether it be console or PC for a certain amount of hours a week, knowledge of the latest and greatest games I wouldn't call a requisite to be included
    People that game on their smart phones and consider themselves gamers are not gamers!
    this idea of a gamer having to own all the latest gen consoles and have a museum of hardware in their spare room is not what I consider a gamer
    A gamer is someone that plays games on a regular basis for fun and enjoyment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I don't put it down to having an encyclopedic knowledge of gaming or being able to complete everything on insane difficulty. Maybe that's a "hardcore" gamer. But anyone who has an active interest in the industry, reads games websites regularly, and devotes (or tries to) a considerable amount of their free time to it, is a gamer to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I'm pretty sure that reacting with a fist pump to the opening 'beeoooooooo!' of the Ocean loading music makes you a gamer. Talking about how it used to just be a 'boooo-ooo-oo' which was a purer experience makes you a hardcore gamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I'm not sure, but I think the only important element is the playing of at least one game.

If somebody feels passionate enough about their gaming experience, they can choose to label themselves as a gamer. That's not me giving permission, I just don't know if there's a line between the person playing Flappy Bird who does not identify as a gamer, and the person playing Flappy Bird who does identify as a gamer.

Things that do not define a gamer:
    - Skill.
    - Experience of more than a single game.
    - Gaming knowledge.
    - Industry knowledge.
    - Engagement with the gaming community.
    - Consumption of gaming media (other than games, themselves).
    - Deference towards any company or person involved in the industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Cheer for the replies lads, it was one of those off the cuff things I was thinkin about after reading something in the Wii U thread.

I know it's just a term but its interesting to hear the different takes on it, not that it matters btw.

Personally though if i had to qualify it I'd probably say a gamer spends a lot of time playing games ie at least a couple of hours a night, I suppose not necessarily good at games although if your playing that amount of time it'd be tough not to be decent I suppose.

Maybe it's just a really stupid **** term that doesn't have specific key attributes well unless its playing flappy bird on your iphone

• Registered Users Posts: 3 teddy87

I anyone who contributes to the gaming industry that actively buys games and consoles .doesnt mean every night for 5 or 6 hours but whenever they can.And someone who wont just pick up a game, suck at it at first and will try to get better and try to do what seams like impossible things in games and feeling great afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

The term means different things to different people so hard to pin down to a definition. The media would class anyone who plays games as a gamer and it often has negative connotations (especially as they only seem to drag it out if they've been involved in a school shooting etc.)

I can only imagine pre-teen boys being interested in identifying themselves as one (or as anything as they seek to belong), most people don't like labeling themselves in general as it's perceived as immature.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Gamer - someone who plays regularly on a console, handheld, pc.

NOT a gamer - someone who plays angry birds while having a **** and plays time sink games on Facebook, then shouts to everyone - I am a gamer!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Ability, and by that I don't mean "1337 skillz".

PC gamer:
    Their left hand is already hovering around WASD, Ctrl, and space when at a keyboard even when they're using word.

Console gamer:
    Not spinning around looking at their feet or the ceiling/sky.

If they can do that then they can call themselves whatever they want.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Fnz wrote: »
    I'm not sure, but I think the only important element is the playing of at least one game.

If somebody feels passionate enough about their gaming experience, they can choose to label themselves as a gamer. That's not me giving permission, I just don't know if there's a line between the person playing Flappy Bird who does not identify as a gamer, and the person playing Flappy Bird who does identify as a gamer.

Things that do not define a gamer:
    - Skill.
    - Experience of more than a single game.
    - Gaming knowledge.
    - Industry knowledge.
    - Engagement with the gaming community.
    - Consumption of gaming media (other than games, themselves).
    - Deference towards any company or person involved in the industry.

I couldn't disagree with you more.
    Being a gamer had to mean more than someone who likes to play the occasional game on their phone.
    If anything it suggests someone who is "into" the gaming scene in a manner greater than that of their peers, otherwise the word becomes meaningless.
    I can agree that it isn't, perhaps, precise enough of that is not appropriately defined but broad church or not we can't just be nice about it and pretend anyone who enjoys the occasional game can be so described as one.

I see myself as a gamer, I think I can say that objectively, I have an extensive collection, I play quite a bit and have an extensive knowledge about many facets of the hobby.

At worst "gamer" is inadequate, but there is a reluctance to risk insult to anyone by suggesting this person is a "casual gamer" or this one is "hardcore", more of a problem with the idea of being an occasional player of videogames being something to be ashamed of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Play games? You're a gamer. No need for any of this purist nonsense to make yourself feel better than someone who isn't as obsessed with a thing you like as you are.

yeah but we can all agree that casual phone game apps players are the scum of the gaming community *ptuh!* ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I'm going to turn to The Simpsons for answers on this one.

"Oh Lord, what should I do?"
    "Keep gaming. It means gambling, keep gambling."

So no, not a gambler.

I like video games though. But I'm rubbish at them, so I guess console/PC owner would be better. Since owning a camera doesn't make me a photographer, and owning a fish doesn't make me a fishmonger.

I'm confused. Words are confusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

I thought of a gamer as akin to a "film buff" or whatever. Some people watch films but some people follow the careers of actors, writers, DPs, directors etc. get into the techniques of film making, the theories and what have you. Could be as bad an analogy as anything though :/

I thought this piece on gamers as players was interesting: http://www.popmatters.com/tools/full/132545/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sarky wrote: »
    Play games? You're a gamer. No need for any of this purest nonsense to make yourself feel better than someone who isn't as obsessed with a thing you like as you are.

Then the word has changed in definition over time.
    There was a time, not that long ago, when being into videogames, not one or two the odd time but actually into the scene, was still a niche past time and so the term gamer was applicable.
    The occasional game of Fifa or Need for Speed does not a gamer make.
    So, in my opinion, all gamers are people who play games but not all people who play games are gamers.
    It's ok to be a film buff, not everyone who watches the big movie releases sees themselves as one and isn't insulted at the distinction.
    It's ok to be a foodie, not everyone who enjoys their grub sees themselves as a gastronaught, and aren't insulted by the distinction there either.
    So why are people so insecure at the suggestion that there may be people who are into videogames more than they and use the word "gamer" to describe themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

The missus says I am. . .but I've really not been a proper gamer for quite some time. I've put in about 4 hours game time since the turn of the year. If it wasn't for the sky app, the 360 would only get turned on on increasingly rare occasions. I will admit that I am itching for a game of titanfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I always thought of gamers as kind of nerdy types who play WoW and wear zelda t-shirts and have glasses and go to LAN competitions. Theres a gamers society in my college and they all fit this description perfectly. I've never gone to any of their meetings, always full of slightly socially awkward types who tbh I find irritating and not much fun to hang around with. They don't drink much either.

I'm not like them at all but I am a gamer. I absolutely love games of all genres. I've spent a fair chunk of my life playing games since I was a kid. I spent a load of money building my own PC. I had a major counter strike addiction in my teens and I spent about 2000 hours playing that one game. I love zelda but id never wear the t shirt if you know what I mean. I guess there are different types of gamers.

Also none of friends are into games at all and none of them really know that I am either.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I couldn't disagree with you more.
    Being a gamer had to mean more than someone who likes to play the occasional game on their phone.
    If anything it suggests someone who is "into" the gaming scene in a manner greater than that of their peers, otherwise the word becomes meaningless.
    I can agree that it isn't, perhaps, precise enough of that is not appropriately defined but broad church or not we can't just be nice about it and pretend anyone who enjoys the occasional game can be so described as one.

I see myself as a gamer, I think I can say that objectively, I have an extensive collection, I play quite a bit and have an extensive knowledge about many facets of the hobby.

At worst "gamer" is inadequate, but there is a reluctance to risk insult to anyone by suggesting this person is a "casual gamer" or this one is "hardcore", more of a problem with the idea of being an occasional player of videogames being something to be ashamed of.

It's not a matter of being politically correct. It's a matter of cutting out all the superfluous bs to find out what's important.

What are the 'minimum requirements' in your view?

Fnz wrote: »
    It's not a matter of being politically correct. It's a matter of cutting out all the superfluous bs to find out what's important.

What are the 'minimum requirements' in your view?

Nope, not touching that one.
    All you end up doing is somehow p1ssing off those below the line who consider themselves gamers and those above the line who consider the gamer term insulting.

So, it's subjective and amongst friends it's easy to define, and there it ends, though internally I may consider this person a gamer and this person not it remains subjective and so only a personal opinion, I'm not going to try to justify it to others.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Nope, not touching that one.
    All you end up doing is somehow p1ssing off those below the line who consider themselves gamers and those above the line who consider the gamer term insulting.

So, it's subjective and amongst friends it's easy to define, and there it ends, though internally I may consider this person a gamer and this person not it remains subjective and so only a personal opinion, I'm not going to try to justify it to others.

Well, you said you couldn't disagree with me more. I assumed that meant you had some minimum requirement that had been left out.

If you're happy to excluded people from the (not so) sought after 'gamer' identifier, in a thread about defining the term, your minimum requirements should be questioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I definitely consider myself a gamer. Gaming is my not just my hobby, but also the one thing i love doing more than anything else in the world. Gaming can cheer me up when i'm unhappy. It transports me to these beautiful and exotic locations full of magnificent characters, and also to dangerous lands full of monsters, aliens and creatures of your nightmares. It gives me memories that i will cherish forever, and will never forget. It takes me out of the slog of the real world and for a few hours lets me forget my worries. It never gives out to me, and will always give me another chance. It doesn't judge me, and lets me participate no matter my skill level. It has no preconditions, and anyone can join in. You don't need to be fit, fast, have a 6-pack or be the best looking person in the world, gaming will accept you.

The majority of people I know still don't understand that a 30-year old male can enjoy gaming as much as i do. They believe i should have grown out of it. The believe it's only for children or the socially inept. I have a life outside of gaming, but it's gaming which i most long to do when i'm unable to play for whatever reasons. It doesn't take over my life, but always give me something to look forward to. People have no problem with those who are in deep with their passions, like soccer, American football, hurling, poker, reading, mountaineering, skiing, etc. Those same people have a problem with gaming, and it annoys me so.

A gamer is, in my opinion, someone who has an active interest in the scene, but not necessarily someone who knows everything about it. A gamer is someone who invests a lot of time and money into it. I fell in love with gaming back in 1988, when my mother gave me a pong machine, then an Atari 2600, a loan of the cousins Commodore 64, the best Christmas presents of a SNES and a PlayStation. I still game as much as i can, and still do marathon sessions when i get the need for it.

Also of note, someone who only plays Facebook or App games are not gamers.

I don't get why people are so confident in declaring others as 'non-gamers'.

Could a person who only plays (the original) Donkey Kong be a gamer?

If yes, why not somebody who only plays facebook or phone games?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Advertisement