Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a "gamer"? Do you consider yourself a "gamer"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I don't like the term 'gamer' although I'm so used to it I'd describe myself as one. (Like why aren't there 'filmers' or 'musicers'?) and I think the term 'hardcore' is erroneous - It's used to describe people who actually only play eg Fifa/COD as opposed to someone playing all types of games (which'd actually be a hardcore gamer)

I'd also admit to being condescending towards phone games (I call them Toilet games or apps).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Fnz wrote: »
    Well, you said you couldn't disagree with me more. I assumed that meant you had some minimum requirement that had been left out.

If you're happy to excluded people from the (not so) sought after 'gamer' identifier, in a thread about defining the term, your minimum requirements should be questioned.

It's far simpler to define the moniker "gamer" in terms of what it doesn't signify rather than what it does.
    That said I would suggest that being a gamer is simply shorthand for being a gaming enthusiast, and so is in the same group as a Ferrari enthusiast, food enthusiast, music enthusiast and so on, better known as Tifosi, Foodie/Gastronome and Music Buff.
    As someone who got into the scene in the 70s and into the present day I see the games enthusiast as someone like myself, but not limited by my interests.

But being a games enthusiast can be defined as one who is many of the things you mention as it being not, so it can be someone who has an eclectic taste in games and consoles.
    It can also be someone with a particular love of one developer/publisher/console manufacturer.
    It can be someone who is an avid player of videogames or someone who prudish doesn't play a vast amount of games but who has a deep knowledge of the topic.
    It can be someone who collects and appreciates the exotica of the hobby.
    And, obviously, this list is not exhaustive, there are many other ways to mark the gaming enthusiast, he or she that may be also called a "gamer"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Fnz wrote: »
    I don't get why people are so confident in declaring others as 'non-gamers'.

Could a person who only plays (the original) Donkey Kong be a gamer?

If yes, why not somebody who only plays facebook or phone games?

People, at times, take pride in their area of interest and so do find it irritating when someone is described with the same term when it is clear that they have nothing in common.
    Phone games have become linked to the kind of exploitative experiences that people who are into games have increasingly seen encroaching into even mainstream consoles, the paywalls, buying your way to success, and while a phone should be just as capable of acting as a platform for meaningful experiences, and there are good examples of this, more and more of the content on app stores are geared towards exploiting the player as a resource stream, damaging the reputation of the platform.
    As for Facebook games, unlike mobile phone games, they seem to be without redemption and appear to be simply designed to gain access to advertising revenue and your friend list.

I don't know anyone who only plays Donkey Kong or any other single game, be it arcade it retro, though I do have friends who are big into a genre, be it Shmup or Mmorpg, I would also see them as gamers though, and they certainly don't shut themselves off from the chance to play other games on occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'd consider myself a gamer but don't like the negative connotation that goes with it. I've been playing games since the 80's and don't ever plan on not having an interest in games.

Years ago when I worked in retail I would have taken more notice of charts, sales figures etc so don't do that anymore but still keep up with news for stuff I'm interested in. There's plenty of big franchises that I've never gotten into like Mass Effect or some big pc titles due to a lack of a gaming rig these days. I play the odd thing on my phone, have a vita, mostly play my ps3, still retro game on my emulators on my tablet which is 90% of what the thing gets used for aside from reading books and comics.

A question then as to why has it become a bad word.
    Why have some people turned the notion of someone being a gamer should be something to be ashamed of, or something childish.
    A person identifying themselves as a gamer shouldn't be worried they'll be judged as anything other than a person who appreciates good games, playing good games and those who create good games and systems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The word gamer is now synonymous with the clowns who play COD & FIFA and just abuse everyone. I hate the word as much as I hate the term 'hardcore gamer'. Who the hell calls themselves a 'gamer' anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

The word gamer is now synonymous with the clowns who play COD & FIFA and just abuse everyone. I hate the word as much as I hate the term 'hardcore gamer'. Who the hell calls themselves a 'gamer' anyway?

I call myself a gamer, I didn't realise it had developed negative connotations.
    I don't care though, I am what I am and its quick and easy to say. Rather than saying "I am a person that enjoys games" I just say I am a gamer. Most of my friends are too, so that helps.

I call myself a gamer, I didn't realise it had developed negative connotations.
    I don't care though, I am what I am and its quick and easy to say. Rather than saying "I am a person that enjoys games" I just say I am a gamer. Most of my friends are too, so that helps.

I'm not sure when it became negative either but I'm pretty sure it wasn't gamers who said it, there will always be those who view the pastime as an unworthy waste of time. And more fool them imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm not sure when it became negative either but I'm pretty sure it wasn't gamers who said it, there will always be those who view the pastime as an unworthy waste of time. And more fool them imho.

For some reason people still think of gaming as being for kids and young teens, even though the demographic of games is late 20's or more these days. They're as valid a past time as movies or music imo.

Well I'm a gamer in my 40s and don't see my enthusiasm for the scene decreasing any time soon, quite opposite in fact.

• Advertisement

Never understood the need people have to label themselves. Generally the people I find who call themselves "gamers" are the kind who look down on people and see themselves as a cut above.

Honestly does it really matter what a gamer is? Long as someone plays and enjoys gaming then they're a gamer. Doesn't matter if you're playing a Facebook time sink, some rare SNES title or COD.

In all my years of gaming I've never had anyone look down in me for playing games. In fact most people I know who play games are in their 20s and upward and it's generally accepted by most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

MadYaker wrote: »
    I always thought of gamers as kind of nerdy types who play WoW and wear zelda t-shirts and have glasses and go to LAN competitions. Theres a gamers society in my college and they all fit this description perfectly. I've never gone to any of their meetings, always full of slightly socially awkward types who tbh I find irritating and not much fun to hang around with. They don't drink much either.

I'm not like them at all but I am a gamer. I absolutely love games of all genres. I've spent a fair chunk of my life playing games since I was a kid. I spent a load of money building my own PC. I had a major counter strike addiction in my teens and I spent about 2000 hours playing that one game. I love zelda but id never wear the t shirt if you know what I mean. I guess there are different types of gamers.

Also none of friends are into games at all and none of them really know that I am either.

I thought that as well
    years ago I use too think "Gamers" Where competitive players/people who play games all day everyday or people who play WoW

I guess I don't think of it like that anymore
    I never liked the name or term if you could call it that

so in my opinion a gamer is someone who plays games, any games, competitively or socially or casually

just like football, I play football for my team so you would call me a footballer (as well as many other terms used for it)

A gamer is someone who plays games, is their really anything else about the word that springs different things?
    how could you call someone who plays games competitively or someone who plays only 1 game a year like certain Cod fans not a gamer
    they still play that 1 game their fore their a gamer

Like I said I never liked the word gamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I've played chess. I'm not a "chess player".

Similarly with games, I think you have to regularly play games as a hobby.
    Not just having played them once.

There's definitely a problem when a lot of people still feel they can't come together and discuss games in the same way you can with literature, TV or films (obviously forums like this break that barrier down).

MadYaker mentioned Gaming Societies somewhat adhering to the stereotype and that's been my experience as well.
    People who play games seriously and regularly aren't just Cosplayers, people who play Magic: The Gathering or go to conventions and LAN parties.
    And I'm not saying that to disparage those things. It's just that gaming has grown it's audience well beyond the classic definition of the nerd.

I've a group of friends and they would all be bright, well read and generally towards the nerdy end of the scale. But even they wouldn't give games a second thought, other than the odd game of FIFA or Tekken with a few lads over a few beers.

I suspect we're going to need a generation of people growing up with gamer parents in large numbers before it's fully normalised (and the label gamer becomes redundant - there's not really a name for people who read or watch movies).
    It's happening a bit now with people in the 30-40 range having kids but I'd say it'll be another 5-10 years of those kids growing up and a bunch of old people dying before gaming is truly considered normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

I regard playing video games as a hobbie, just like playing golf or collecting stamps.

If it is something that interests you to a degree and you play games regularly to enjoy them (and not just to beat everyone else at the game or keep going until you have all the achievements nomatter what), then i would call oneself a gamer.

If you are exceptionally good at games and play non-stop, i'm sure there is terms for that kind of person too such as 'hardcore gamer' which is used incorrectly way too much these days. I think a gaming addict is more appropriate for those people who play every day for hours and ultimately an addiction leads to problems, health-wise and socially. Its surely not something to aspire to.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Gamer? I suppose so, I don't really identify with the generic term though, same as with nerd or geek. If you asked me if I was a "Strategy Gamer" or "Wargamer" or "RPG fan" or "PC Gamer" etc they you'd get a resounding yes. The problem with "Gamer" is that it casts too wide a net as a term and brings in too many very disparate groups. The term has lost all meaning really without some qualification regarding genre or platform.

Though personally I think I'd just prefer if you asked if I liked Strategy Games to be honest. It's simpler and we can get down to the meat of it and start talking about our favourite games and why the other person needs to play them. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

MadYaker wrote: »
    I always thought of gamers as kind of nerdy types who play WoW and wear zelda t-shirts and have glasses and go to LAN competitions. Theres a gamers society in my college and they all fit this description perfectly. I've never gone to any of their meetings, always full of slightly socially awkward types who tbh I find irritating and not much fun to hang around with. They don't drink much either.

Um. I'm going to a gaming clan meet-up at a tank museum in the summer and I don't drink much. I wouldn't be caught dead in a Zelda t-shirt though. Fecking nerds.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,890 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

No, I don't. And I cringed a little when I hear people using the term. I cringe even more when someone puts 'hardcore' before it. Reminds me of something like Gamezville.

'Dis iz Gamezville! Da place 4 hardcore gamers innit? The Games Guru gives dis term 5 Gs!'

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

nesf wrote: »
    Um. I'm going to a gaming clan meet-up at a tank museum in the summer and I don't drink much. I wouldn't be caught dead in a Zelda t-shirt though. Fecking nerds.

I went abroad to Cannes for a fighting game tournament a couple weeks back and spent most of the time partying with the other competitiors. I can confirm at no point during the weekend was I wearing gaming related clothing.

In fact, the winner of this large event was interviewed for a gaming site and when asked what his favourite part of the weekend was he said something along the lines of "winning, obviously, and hanging with the Irish guys".

Anyway the hardcore gamer tag is a bit silly. I know frame data for certain fighting games but I barely concern myself with new releases. I rarely play on PC and I dislike most FPSes intensely. I barely understand MOBAs. I do however enjoy mobile gaming.

So at the same time I am really casual and a huge "hardcore" gamer.

Master of the Universe

Anyway the hardcore gamer tag is a bit silly. I know frame data for certain fighting games but I barely concern myself with new releases. I rarely play on PC and I dislike most FPSes intensely. I barely understand MOBAs. I do however enjoy mobile gaming.

So at the same time I am really casual and a huge "hardcore" gamer.

I'd be pretty much in the same boat. I spend most of my time playing and tinkering with arcade machines/PCBs these days.

So 'casual' when it comes to new releases but then how the hell can someone with arcade machines in the kitchen be considered casual? :D

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'd be pretty much in the same boat. I spend most of my time playing and tinkering with arcade machines/PCBs these days.

So 'casual' when it comes to new releases but then how the hell can someone with arcade machines in the kitchen be considered casual? :D

I love my retro buddies. Part of being an, ahem, older fighting game fan is an affection for the old arcade scene. I'll never forget the first time I showed up to one of the retro events and someone handed me a stick and I rotated it once and went "ah, semitsu parts" and people couldn't believe it :D

Yup we're both in the same boat, maybe we're softcore gamers!

• Advertisement

So, Man b00bs out when your playing SFIII?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

No, I'd hate to label myself in with the "gamers" - It just always comes across as a label for a bunch of elitists. Especially those who say playing games on your mobile doesn't make you a "gamer". ugh.

Master of the Universe

I love my retro buddies. Part of being an, ahem, older fighting game fan is an affection for the old arcade scene. I'll never forget the first time I showed up to one of the retro events and someone handed me a stick and I rotated it once and went "ah, semitsu parts" and people couldn't believe it :D

Hah! I remember that. That was my Dreamcast stick modded with an LS-32. Some mighty fine identification :)

Sometimes while perusing my games library and sipping a brandy, I like to consider myself a 'videogame historian'. :pac:

No nip slips please, think of the children.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I dislike the label precisely because of the many ignorant individuals who wear it as a badge of honour. A self-proclaimed 'hardcore' (or even worse, as I've seen a few times recently, 'true') gamer is very often the sort who bickers and abuses over something as arbitrary as format choice. Who mocks people for playing certain games, while themselves pretty much dismissing out of hand anything that doesn't conform to their narrow and usually extremely conservative paradigm of a 'real' game. Who will vocally rage over issues like resolution, game length, no online mode and/or unnecessary online mode, the number at the end of a review etc... and yet be pretty much incapable of holding a sensible, intelligible conversation about a game.

And the thing is these people are no doubt a small minority, just a vocal one.

I play games and I like talking about them, point blank. I think the vast majority of people on this forum do too - for the occasional mind-numbing discussion here, this place is bordering on a safe haven compared to the wilds of the WWW! To me, the type of 'gamer' I want to associate with is open-minded, passionate about the medium, easy to talk too, unconcerned by all the bull**** you see in the darkest comment sections of the internet. Whether that's someone who predominantly plays mobile games (and I've played dozens of mobile games 100 times more progressive and interesting than 95% of major console / PC / handheld releases) or someone who has spent tens of thousand of hours with a particular fighting game, doesn't matter - indeed, it's always worth remembering for many games are simply a form of temporary entertainment, not a full on hobby, and there's nothing wrong with that (for every hobby any of us have, there are twenty we have little to no interest in). Who needs labels or descriptions? It's always nice to be proud and excited about any hobby, but no need for that to transform into elitism or obsession. The only thing I'd say about anyone who only plays a handful of games is that they're seriously missing out on the nearly boundless variety of games on offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I played Mario on the Nintendo before. Lol, I'm such a nerd!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

I assume the actual dictionary defintion is different but I have slow internet at the moment, so I'm not going through the wait of googling it.
    If your internet is that slow you have serious fecking problems.

Ugh, no don't be disgusting.

I'd never play SF3
    o1s1n wrote: »
    Hah! I remember that. That was my Dreamcast stick modded with an LS-32. Some mighty fine identification :)

And a very nice stick it was too, to this day I'm considering getting one :)
    . A self-proclaimed 'hardcore' (or even worse, as I've seen a few times recently, 'true') gamer is very often the sort who bickers and abuses over something as arbitrary as format choice. Who mocks people for playing certain games, while themselves pretty much dismissing out of hand anything that doesn't conform to their narrow and usually extremely conservative paradigm of a 'real' game.

This is what's known as a "no true scotsman" logical fallacy. An example from wiki:

Person A: "No Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge."
    Person B: "I am Scottish, and I put sugar on my porridge."
    Person A: "Well, no true Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge."

It's a terrible argument.

I have to say Johnny U, while I understand the elitist trope you speak of, I think you get that in every pursuit but I don't think it's fair to malign those who identify themselves as games as being synonymous with this bunch of morons.
    Film buffs have their fair share of those as well, and those who don't grasp the finer points of certain kinds of cinema are often only too quick to criticise an imagined elite who do, through some sort of insecurity.
    So both sides of a hobby possess the ability to over generalise about the other, gamers being just one such group.
    And, yes, the past time has become quite broad with a wide range of people enthusiastically playing and talking about an equally wide range of game types, and that's all cool.
    So what's wrong with differentiating between someone like that and someone who plays a game of Fifa on a Friday or Farmville via his browser while at work?
    Are we so hung up on avoiding all possible unintended insult that it's easier just to avoid the word altogether? That's a bit pathetic tbh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I dislike generalisations too, but I've unfortunately encountered enough gaming elitism that I'd feel confident saying it's a major issue with the online gaming community - much more so than comparable hobbys or medium (maybe I simply encounter them more, although I know it's less pronounced when it comes to film).

I'm definitely not maligning anyone who wants to use the word gamer, I'm sure I've probably used it as a shorthand myself over the years. As I was at odds to point out, I feel it's a minority that's the problem. Personally, though, I'm happy just stating 'I play video games', end of story. I find there are very few situations where I need to identify myself as a gamer, the same way I'm pretty sure I've never had to identify myself as a film buff. I'm not the biggest fan of labels generally, it's more that more often than not I see the word 'gamer' abused and personally tend to avoid using it for that reason. No problem with anyone using it if they so wish, as long as they don't act the maggot in the process ;) Fair play, indeed, if you can proudly use the word gamer without worrying about how other people do so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I would call myself a Gamer because I play a variety of games on various consoles every day and is my favourite pastime. To call someone a gamer is one thing but then you can always put them into sub-categories.

Casual Gamer
    Hardcore Gamer
    Retro Gamer
    "Pro" Gamer

There are many variations of gamers out there. It all depends on how often you spend playing games, how much time you put into particular games, if it is something you enjoy thoroughly as a hobby day in day out then yes, I would consider yourself a gamer. Someone doesn't have to be good at the games to consider himself a gamer. I'm horrible at Call of Duty (my K/D ratio has never surpassed 1.00, ever) I play World of Warcraft yearly (one 3-month subscription a year. Don't ask, it just inadvertently happens that way :pac:) and I'm still learning so much about it.

I have loads of favourite franchises. I love Fallout, GTA, Battlefield - all the popular games. I also love Dynasty Warriors, and have played every instalment since DW1. I love Command and Conquer and the Dawn of War series. I play Medieval and Rome Total War to death. I have over 80K Gamerscore and 2 PSN accounts. I watch game reviews ALL THE TIME. I love watching game-related videos. I made my own amateur game-review show.

Everything I do in my spare time is somewhat gaming-related.

And if I may go off on a slight tangent; I wouldn't take any of the bullsh1t of "people who game haven't a social life". It's a load of crap. I'm in a training course and I have a girlfriend whom I visit every week up in Kilkenny, but I digress.

In short, if you play games all day, most days, since a long time ago, you'd be considered a gamer. Especially if you enjoy it.

I want to go home from work now and play something...... ><

Advertisement