Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad Mini 1 64GB vs iPad Mini 2 16GB

• 16-03-2014 12:14am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

I have to get an iPad next year for school and both these tablets can be found online for simialr-ish prices with the Non Retina iPad Mini 64GB being slightly cheaper.

It will be used for books and educational apps, obviously 64GB is a lot more space than 16GB but I'm not sure if the trade offs are worth it.

I'm an Android user, a "fanboy" if you will and I'm not gonna rebuy all the apps on iOS so as much as I love MineCraft I'm not paying €6.99 for it!

I have a Nexus 7 so I know what a good screen looks like so I'm wondering would I see the difference?

Trying not to make this too long but basically what I'm asking is:
    *iPad Mini 1Gen 64GB can be gotten around the same price as iPad Mini 2Gen 16GB, would I actually need that much space and will I notice a difference in screen quality?

Hopefully someone can help me.

Just looking for peoples opinions on the two.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I have to get an iPad next year for school and both these tablets can be found online for simialr-ish prices with the Non Retina iPad Mini 64GB being slightly cheaper.

It will be used for books and educational apps, obviously 64GB is a lot more space than 16GB but I'm not sure if the trade offs are worth it.

I'm an Android user, a "fanboy" if you will and I'm not gonna rebuy all the apps on iOS so as much as I love MineCraft I'm not paying €6.99 for it!

I have a Nexus 7 so I know what a good screen looks like so I'm wondering would I see the difference?

Trying not to make this too long but basically what I'm asking is:
    *iPad Mini 1Gen 64GB can be gotten around the same price as iPad Mini 2Gen 16GB, would I actually need that much space and will I notice a difference in screen quality?

Hopefully someone can help me.

Thanks! :)

You will notice a big difference in screen quality. It has a retina display with 4 times as much pixels.

You will notice a huge difference in performance. The original Mini runs an A5 chip that was in the iPhone 4s, the new Mini runs on the A7 64 bit chip which is far superior. The newer model also has quad core graphics & 1GB of RAM, doubled over the old model.

Go with the newer model. The 64 bit older model won't be much good for too long more and the retina display is so much better. I couldn't use another portable device without a retina display again.

Maybe invest a little more and go for the 32GB 2nd Gen iPad Mini. Best option all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

The original iPad mini uses A5, which is the same chip that iPad 2 and iPhone 4s uses, both of which were released in 2011 - both iPad 2 and iPhone 4s are expected to reach their end of life later this year, so I expect the first-gen iPad mini to follow shortly after.

There is a huge difference in performance, and even if you don't notice it, you'll definitely notice the Retina screen in the iPad mini 2. I also suggest getting a 32GB iPad mini 2 model, I find that I can run out of space quickly with just 16GB.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Aodhagan wrote: »
    You will notice a big difference in screen quality. It has a retina display with 4 times as much pixels.

You will notice a huge difference in performance. The original Mini runs an A5 chip that was in the iPhone 4s, the new Mini runs on the A7 64 bit chip which is far superior. The newer model also has quad core graphics & 1GB of RAM, doubled over the old model.

Go with the newer model. The 64 bit older model won't be much good for too long more and the retina display is so much better. I couldn't use another portable device without a retina display again.

Maybe invest a little more and go for the 32GB 2nd Gen iPad Mini. Best option all round.
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm just thinking that because it will be used for books, browsing and basic word Editting with maybe some games then the slower processor mightn't be too bad?

€400 is so steep... I appreciate the reply but I'm still nonthewiser.

I have until around May or June to buy it anyway but I want to know soon.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm just thinking that because it will be used for books, browsing and basic word Editting with maybe some games then the slower processor mightn't be too bad?

€400 is so steep... I appreciate the reply but I'm still nonthewiser.

I have until around May or June to buy it anyway but I want to know soon.

I don't see how you could possibly be nonthewiser after that?

You asked would you need all that space? You admitted you only really needed it for books & educational apps and that you won't be repurchasing apps you have on Android. So I don't think you need the 64gb at all.

You also asked would you notice a difference between the two. I outlined the major differences between the 2 - so yeah, you will notice a big difference. The new Mini is very superior. How long will you been needing it for school? The original mini will only carry you so far into the future with OS updates and performance etc, it is worth investing a little more to have a better model which is more future proof.

If you aren't buying until May/June wait until the rMini comes available as a refurb product on Apple.ie & you will get it for under the €400 it is currently at.

Heh, I totally agree. People post threads asking which iPhone or iPad they should get, I state the pros and cons of owning each device. But it's like they've decided anyway to get the older model like the iPhone 4s or 1st gen iPad mini which costs less. The point is these devices are becoming obsolete, especially for the iPad mini when it was released back in 2012 with outdated specs (same chip as the iPad 2 in 2011).

iOS 8 to be released later this year will probably be the last major iOS version supported on A5 devices such as the first iPad mini and iPhone 4s. With the iPad mini 2, you're most likely going to be able to run iOS 9 and 10 as well.

• Advertisement

I don't see how you could possibly be nonthewiser after that?

You asked would you need all that space? You admitted you only really needed it for books & educational apps and that you won't be repurchasing apps you have on Android. So I don't think you need the 64gb at all.

You also asked would you notice a difference between the two. I outlined the major differences between the 2 - so yeah, you will notice a big difference. The new Mini is very superior. How long will you been needing it for school? The original mini will only carry you so far into the future with OS updates and performance etc, it is worth investing a little more to have a better model which is more future proof.

If you aren't buying until May/June wait until the rMini comes available as a refurb product on Apple.ie & you will get it for under the €400 it is currently at.
    makoten wrote: »
    Heh, I totally agree. People post threads asking which iPhone or iPad they should get, I state the pros and cons of owning each device. But it's like they've decided anyway to get the older model like the iPhone 4s or 1st gen iPad mini which costs less. The point is these devices are becoming obsolete, especially for the iPad mini when it was released back in 2012 with outdated specs (same chip as the iPad 2 in 2011).

iOS 8 to be released later this year will probably be the last major iOS version supported on A5 devices such as the first iPad mini and iPhone 4s. With the iPad mini 2, you're most likely going to be able to run iOS 9 and 10 as well.

Thank you both for your replies.
    It's to be used for 2 years (Until I finish the LC)
    So I should just get the iPad Mini 2 so I'd be relatively future proof in terms of specs?
    I think I'll invest in a 32GB Retina iPad Mini as that should be more than enough for my needs.
    Thanks to you both! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The first iPad mini was severely underpowered, it was basically an iPad 2's internals. the iPad mini with retina display has the exact same internals as the iPad Air. You won't be disappointed with the mini retina, the iPad mini without retina will frustrate the hell out of you.

Still both are better than a nexus 7

The first iPad mini was severely underpowered, it was basically an iPad 2's internals. the iPad mini with retina display has the exact same internals as the iPad Air. You won't be disappointed with the mini retina, the iPad mini without retina will frustrate the hell out of you.

If it's the 2013 Nexus 7 model - that has a better screen than both of the iPad Mini's - the colour gamut in both is ridiculously low for the price point.

Nexus 7 (2013) performance wise is better than the older mini as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Might be a better screen in a ppi way but I think the nexus 7's aspect ratio to bezel ratio is a little weird IMO

Are you kidding me?
    The Nexus 7 is an amazing tablet, it's price point for example around €150 cheaper than an iPad. It supports USB OTG meaning I can just plug in a HardDrive and watch content from it. Sure the iPad has more Tablet optimised apps but that gap is closing really fast.
    I suppose everyone is different but only for I have to get an iPad for school I wouldn't be bothering with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

It's to be used for 2 years (Until I finish the LC)

Christ.

Might be a better screen in a ppi way but I think the nexus 7's aspect ratio to bezel ratio is a little weird IMO

The ratio's don't bother me, they are similar in terms of PPI as well but the big issue lies with the colour reproduction on the Mini. It's very sub standard for a tablet of that price point. It has been well documented.

Are you kidding me?
    The Nexus 7 is an amazing tablet, it's price point for example around €150 cheaper than an iPad. It supports USB OTG meaning I can just plug in a HardDrive and watch content from it. Sure the iPad has more Tablet optimised apps but that gap is closing really fast.
    I suppose everyone is different but only for I have to get an iPad for school I wouldn't be bothering with it.

I think it's crazy that you need an iPad to do the leaving cert. What's happening to school these days.

I think it's crazy that you need an iPad to do the leaving cert. What's happening to school these days.
    It's all about "Digital Learning" the 1st years already use iPads in my school, and it went so well that next year's 5th years (me) will be using them too.
    I think it's a great idea.
    It's also based on the whole idea of self learning whereby a teacher sets a task and the students have to go about finding their own ways on how to do it, be that with Google or reading eBooks, whatever.

What if some students can't afford an iPad? I guess it's a good excuse to ask parents to get one - for... 'education'.

makoten wrote: »
    What if some students can't afford an iPad? I guess it's a good excuse to ask parents to get one - for... 'education'.
    If you really can't afford it then the school (reluctantly) gives you the option to use books, at least I think they do.
    Normally what the school does is they contact a local bank, usually AIB or BOI and they set up financing for parents.
    I personally think that iPads are seriously overpriced but my parents are getting me one anyway.
    There's a company that does everything for the school like managing and stuff but I can't remember what they're called :P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

If you really can't afford it then the school (reluctantly) gives you the option to use books, at least I think they do.
    Normally what the school does is they contact a local bank, usually AIB or BOI and they set up financing for parents.
    I personally think that iPads are seriously overpriced but my parents are getting me one anyway.
    There's a company that does everything for the school like managing and stuff but I can't remember what they're called :P

I got an iPad Mini a little while back as supplies of the new retina Mini were extremely tight. It would do you fine for what you need. Buy it for €300, and sell it on in 2 years for €100, you will have got value from it, seeing as you have no real interest in it. At least it will save your back from carrying all those bloody books. I wish my lads schools were implementing it.

Advertisement