Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seitan

Options
  • 16-03-2014 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Hi all I made a big batch of Seitan with the idea of eating them like little protein balls. But tbh it tastes not so nice. I just made the basic recipe- garlic powder ginger soy sauce and veg stock. Is there anything I can do it now to change the taste? Or any nice, very quick recipes that I can use it for?

Or any recipe I can use the wheat gluten to make something sweet that I can eat on the go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭freethink3r

Maybe you should mix it into a stir fry or something :/

Was it easy to make? I read it's really rich in protein.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

where did you get the flour to make it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Could you put them into a sauce, like little meatballs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I order it on line off iherb.com. Works out at about 11€ for two bags delivered. It's very versatile to cook with. But some days I don't feel like cooking as I work 12 hours shifts and was looking to move away from protein powder. Anyway I haven't really found a tasty "protein ball" recipe but did find that baking them has made them less chewy and tasting of vegetable stock:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I made seitan for the first time the other day, I used this simple recipe:
    http://vegweb.com/recipes/yummiest-seitan-ever
    I used water, not vegetable stock, and I probably only used half the soy sauce mentioned.
    I also added a little dried rosemary and sage.

In the interests of experimentation, I pulled a lump off (about one-eighth), squashed it flat, and pan fried it in a hot pan with a tiny bit of oil. It came out crispy and delicious (even my bacon lovin' partner agreed).

The rest I flattened out and stuck in the oven, where it puffed up and got a bit bready. It was nice, but not as good as the pan-fried stuff. I cut it into little cubes and have been adding it to my lunch salads this week. It's grand, but I'll be pan-frying the next lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

That sounds exactly what I'm looking for. Will give it a try without the veg stock. I've found it to be overpowering when eating it plain, but was a little worried that it would be tasteless without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

That sounds exactly what I'm looking for. Will give it a try without the veg stock. I've found it to be overpowering when eating it plain, but was a little worried that it would be tasteless without it.

My recipe above is nice - just a general "savoury" flavour, but tasty!

Advertisement