Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moss all over Tarmac

• 16-03-2014 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

What's the best way to get rid of it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

Robbie G wrote: »
    What's the best way to get rid of it?

Get " MossGo and apply

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Zane97

Find that in Woodies ? Also would I need a backpack sprayer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭tphase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

Use cheap washing powder(ie lidl or Aldi) Shake the powder on the moss and wait for rain! It DOES work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cordni

invicta wrote: »
    Use cheap washing powder(ie lidl or Aldi) Shake the powder on the moss and wait for rain! It DOES work!

That's a great tip. Must try that out. Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

cheap bleech and mix with water and apply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Washing powder, cheap stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

invicta wrote: »

I can vouch for this to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭tphase

coxy123 wrote: »
    Link not working for me.
    corrected...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Washing powder has worked for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

this time of year,
    i get an old soft house floor brush,
    a bucket of water with a good old bottle of the bleach you can buy in aldi for 1.19 and brush it in and leave it the next rain bring it up beautiful, i do it to the walls of house, footpaths, stone walls around house and driveway,
    must say i do use a few buckets of water and bottles of that bleach,
    my place look lovely a few days later,

all that old green and algae that coats the pats and drive gone and house looking like it got a fresh coat of paint,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭hexosan

I can confirm 100% that the Aldi washing power kills the moss put it on 2 days ago after reading this thread and hey presto moss was killed.
    To be honest I didn't really believe it was going to work but the power was under €3 so said it couldn't hurt to try it.

Thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

The washing powder in Aldi is called something like aldimat it's only about 3€ a box and it really does work but you would need a few dry days. I never heard if using bleach on Tarmac I would be afraid that it would whiten the tarmac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

goat2 wrote: »
    this time of year,
    a bucket of water with a good old bottle of the bleach you can buy in aldi for 1.19 and brush it in and leave it the next rain bring it up beautiful, i do it to the walls of house, footpaths, stone walls around house and driveway,

all that old green and algae that coats the pats and drive gone and house looking like it got a fresh coat of paint,

How much of a mix with water and bleach?

Will the bleach not seep into surrounding garden area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

the bleach seems not to have any effect on the garden, and it has not whitened my tarmac, i usually empty one of those big blue bottles of bleach i buy at aldi, i then fill the bucket the rest of the way with water, i get a soft floor brust and keep rubbing it in it come to a foam and leave it, the rain carry it away and the place come up gleaming, moss killed, the old green algae on walls gone,
    i usually put it on when the sun goes down in evening on a night i am not expecting rain, as that way it stays wet without running off the ground, it is the cheapest and easiest way i find to get the place back to its best,

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Zane97

Do you mix the washing powder with water?

Robbie G wrote: »
    Do you mix the washing powder with water?

I didn't I just spread it on the moss by hand. The moisture in the moss soaks into it. Two days later moss was all gone brown

No. Don't mix the washing powder with water just throw it on the ground lightly spread it around. Btw the washing powders name is aldmat and it's reduced next weekend. It really does a good job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭OldRio

Boards to the rescue again. Thanks for the tip about the washing powder. Tried it a few days ago and we now have brown moss.

Smells lovely as well:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Must try this out in the coming days,

• Registered Users Posts: 11 rafe

goat2 wrote: »
    this time of year,

Tried this over the w/end, worked a treat. Thanks for the tip.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Aldi washing powder has worked great, moss turned brown in two days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Would the washing powder be safe to use on a granite sill and/or painted concrete?

Would the washing powder be safe to use on a granite sill and/or painted concrete?

You could do what i did on the tarmac,
    Try a small sample area first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 Guttervac

Jeyes fluid mixed with water at 6:1 is great on moss, works much better and quicker if temp is above 10 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭selfbuildkk

Can I ask it is safe to leave the dog out when you put down the washing power down? I've tried everything to get rid of moss an algae I get where I am and it works but not for long so I'll give the washing powder a go if it's safe to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Anything is better than mossgo, dear and useless, I use jeyes fluid stinks though, might try the aldi powder, everybody says is brilliant

Can I ask it is safe to leave the dog out when you put down the washing power down? I've tried everything to get rid of moss an algae I get where I am and it works but not for long so I'll give the washing powder a go if it's safe to do so.

I've a little King Charles. That I have let out and she has ignored the powder. And it was there for a few days

• Advertisement

I put washing powder on tarmac yesterday, there is no rain forecast for coming week. Should I hose it down after a few days?

rafe wrote: »
    I put washing powder on tarmac yesterday, there is no rain forecast for coming week. Should I hose it down after a few days?

Give it a good few days.you will see it turning brown and dying Then hose it down. Use a brush on the heavy bits of moss

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Deerspotter

What is the best way to get rid of the moss from the tarmac - not just kill it. If I just kill it, instead of having green moss on the driveway, I just have brown dead moss on the driveway.
    It is a large enough area...
    Killing it is the easy bit, as you say, washing powder, bleach or even just salty water will kill it.

Give it a good few days.you will see it turning brown and dying Then hose it down. Use a brush on the heavy bits of moss

Will do thank you tfitzgerald.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

What is the best way to get rid of the moss from the tarmac - not just kill it. If I just kill it, instead of having green moss on the driveway, I just have brown dead moss on the driveway.
    It is a large enough area...
    Killing it is the easy bit, as you say, washing powder, bleach or even just salty water will kill it.

I've used a good stiff brush and also a power hose when I was feeling less energetic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Triboro

I know the thread is a bit old but does the powder work on concrete yard as well?

• Advertisement

Doesn't matter what the moss is on the powder kills it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Triboro

hexosan wrote: »
    Doesn't matter what the moss is on the powder kills it.

Grand job, just wanted to check that its no harm to the concrete... Thanks.

Advertisement