Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I entitled to a refund or can they insist on a repair/replacement?

Options
  • 16-03-2014 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

5 weeks ago, I bought an electric breast pump from a well known baby retailer. The pump was from their own brand range and at €125, it was one of the more expensive choices so I thought it would be durable and functional. However, after 4 weeks I noticed it was making a strange crackling noise and on closer inspection, I discovered that breast milk had somehow entered the motor and was leaking out through the mains outlet where the power adapter plugged into it (hence the crackling electric noise) :eek: Luckily I wasn't electrocuted.

I returned the pump to the shop and tbh, given the seriousness of the fault I wanted nothing more to do with that particular brand of pump, but the manager reassured me that it was the first time that one of them had been returned and it was store policy to only replace the item. I wasn't entirely happy with this but without any other choice I accepted a replacement. I used the new pump 3 times in the last week and when I went to use it yesterday, I discovered that it has suddenly lost all suction and is therefore no good. I plan on returning the pump again today but have totally lost confidence in the brand and am not willing to accept another replacement. I would much rather get store credit so that I can purchase a different brand. Are the shop within their rights to only give another replacement or can I insist on a refund?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Any remedy they give has to be permanent. The replacement failed, so that wasn't a permanent solution.

They now have to offer a repair or refund. You're in a strong position to request a refund. If you want store credit, that's good for them, but personally, I'd be looking for a refund in cash, not credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

You are fully entitled to a refund. Cash, not a gift card. Stand your ground if the shop tries to 'play' you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The first item was beyond repair; that means that option was eliminated. The replacement failed; that option has now been exhausted. The only remedy remaining is a refund of your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Thanks for the replies :) I settled for a credit note, I could've pushed for a refund but tbh, I would have only spent the money on crap so at least this way, I know it'll be put to good use on things I need for the baby :) I am still shocked at the quality of the merchandise though, especially the serious dangerousness of the original pump :eek: Think I'll be sticking to the better known brands in future....

• Registered Users Posts: 40 nidge123

Just fyi sam mac posted you are entitled to a cash refund not a gift card, please remember you are only entiltled to a cash refund if you paid cash... If you paid by credit card, eg mastercard then mastercard refund and if you purchased with a gift card then you should get a gift card

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

nidge123 wrote: »
    Just fyi sam mac posted you are entitled to a cash refund not a gift card, please remember you are only entiltled to a cash refund if you paid cash... If you paid by credit card, eg mastercard then mastercard refund and if you purchased with a gift card then you should get a gift card

Sorry yes that's what I meant. I just assumed OP paid with cash :)

You are entitled to a full refund to your original payment method.

Advertisement