Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

site in kilkenny

Options
  • 16-03-2014 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi there, Have noticed a site in Greens Bridge in Kilkenny city. Can anyone tell me anything about it. It looks lovely. Also I am not a native of the city. Would I get planning permission for a small house or is it locals only? Thanks a million:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Hi there, Have noticed a site in Greens Bridge in Kilkenny city. Can anyone tell me anything about it. It looks lovely. Also I am not a native of the city. Would I get planning permission for a small house or is it locals only? Thanks a million:)
    I presume you mean this site.
    It's cheap because it's on the corner of a busy junction and is prone to flooding; not as bad post flood relief works but still vulnerable to the worst of floods.
    After the fallout from bad planning decisions where floodplains were built on I reckon you'd have a hard time getting permission for anything on this site; which is probably why it's so cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

catbear wrote: »
    I presume you mean this site.
    It's cheap because it's on the corner of a busy junction and is prone to flooding; not as bad post flood relief works but still vulnerable to the worst of floods.
    After the fallout from bad planning decisions where floodplains were built on I reckon you'd have a hard time getting permission for anything on this site; which is probably why it's so cheap.

Out of interest, do you think former planning permission granted for site might be a positive? Thought it might encourage planners to grant new permission. That's obviously why the auctioneer has put it on the listing though I suppose, sucker people like me in, well it would if I had a spare 40 grand knocking about.

The junction is very busy now but if the proposed CAS scheme goes ahead (and it looks like it will) the whole traffic scene will change and I'd imagine Greens Bridge might even be pedestrianised. It certainly wont be the busy spot it is now. So it might be a prime little spot for a house overlooking the Nore!

Out of interest, do you think former planning permission granted for site might be a positive? Thought it might encourage planners to grant new permission. That's obviously why the auctioneer has put it on the listing though I suppose, sucker people like me in, well it would if I had a spare 40 grand knocking about.
    After all the flood plain planning controversies you're taking a risk, you might do better on the horses out in Gowran park.

Check out Kilkenny CoCo current planning reg regarding flood plains, if they haven't changed since the previous planning permission then you might be onto something.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Joniamhsean

Thanks a million for the reply. I am currently living on a very steep hill without fear of flooding. Would have to buy a boat with the site by the sounds of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Thanks a million for the reply. I am currently living on a very steep hill without fear of flooding. Would have to buy a boat with the site by the sounds of it.

There'd be no need for the boat.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 green jay

I may be wrong but I think an old mill race ran through that site at one time. Depends on how well it was filled in to prevent water breeching it if water table rose.

green jay wrote: »
    I may be wrong but I think an old mill race ran through that site at one time. Depends on how well it was filled in to prevent water breeching it if water table rose.
    You are correct. What's most concerning about the site is that it had permission at the height of the property bubble yet nothing got developed on it. I think whoever owned was trying to develop it into three separate residencies, whether they were houses or a block of apartments I can't remember.

They had a advertising hoarding on the site for a few years but even with all the cheap credit available there wasn't enough interest in the development to get it started. I wouldn't be surprised if the cost of developing the site against flooding made it an unfeasible investment, especially when there were so many other new housing developments already completed.

It would be interesting to see what conditions were attached to the expired planning permission. Any know if it's possible to look it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

catbear wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see what conditions were attached to the expired planning permission. Any know if it's possible to look it up?

I think this is the same site. Looks like conditional planning permission was granted in Feb 2006.
    Here's the link:

http://planning.kilkennycoco.ie/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=0545&LASiteID=1

There could be archaeology there Quote:

Condition 3. A suitably qualified archaeologist (licensed under the National Monuments Acts 1930-1994) shall be employed to monitor all excavation works on site. The archaeologist shall notify the Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government (DoEHLG) in writing at least four weeks prior to the commencement of site preparations. A report shall be prepared and submitted to the Planning Authority and the DoEHLG for consideration. Where archaeological material is shown to be present, avoidance, preservation in situ, preservation by record (excavation) and / or monitoring may be required. The Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government will advise the developer with regard to these matters.

REASON: To ensure the continued preservation (either by record or in situ) of places, sites, features or other objects of archaeological interest.

I'd say the OP would need deep pockets.

I can see why it's got archeaological potential, most of the site sits on what would have been the fording point prior to the current bridge. Chances are there was a settlement there for many centuries, if not millennia.

d3unFTm.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 green jay

The old bridge was slightly upstream of the present bridge. After crossing the bridge it joined the road, known as the Tullabrin road which led through the old Broguemaker's Hill to Johnswell. Part of that site is in the direct path of that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

With all due respect I would suggest you stay on the hill or look for another site in Kilkenny. You'll be crucified in relation this site judging by what "might" have been there in the past. You can be sure that you'll face all kinds of delays, obstacles, protests, petitions, etc. if you don't have the money to defend yourself, forget about it.

Grats wrote: »
    With all due respect I would suggest you stay on the hill or look for another site in Kilkenny. You'll be crucified in relation this site judging by what "might" have been there in the past. You can be sure that you'll face all kinds of delays, obstacles, protests, petitions, etc. if you don't have the money to defend yourself, forget about it.
    Would you have preferred if the archeaology at McDonagh Junction had been ignored?

Advertisement