Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel Core i3 Processor

Options
  • 16-03-2014 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Buying a new laptop - processor spec. is as follows:

Type: Intel Core i3 - 3120M Processor
    Clock speed: 2.50GHz
    3rd. level cache: 3MB

The laptop is a good bargain but am wondering should I purchase one with a i5 Processor - price differential is substantial - any advice welcome.

Laptop used primarily for MS end-user applications, Adobe Photoshop and Internet browsing.

My current laptop has the following processor spec. and is fine or at least to me it is:

Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz,800MHz,4MB).

Any suggestions / recommendations.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Unless you're doing something heavy in photoshop the i3 would be fine.

of course there's a lot of other considerations with laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

beauf wrote: »
    Unless you're doing something heavy in photoshop the i3 would be fine.

of course there's a lot of other considerations with laptops.

Thank you for response. The full spec. is as follows:

Windows® 7 Professional 64-bit (pre-installed) and
    Windows 8 Pro 64-bit (on DVD)
    3rd generation Intel® Core™ i3-3120M Processor
    Toshiba HD non-reflective High Brightness display with 16 : 9 aspect ratio and LED backlighting
    320 GB
    Graphite Black with grooved texture, matt black keyboard
    4,096 (1x) MB
    DDR3 RAM (1,600 MHz)
    Intel® HD Graphics 4000
    maximum life : up to 10h00min (Mobile Mark™ 2007)
    weight : starting at 2.49 kg
    W x D x H : 379.0 x 252.0 x 20.8 (front) / 25.4 (rear) mm

My only concern was the processor, perhaps incorrectly, but to me the rest of the spec. seems fine? What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,451 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Looks good to me. Unless you are well familiar with Windows 8 and know what you're getting into, do NOT install it. It's a total dog's dinner.

coylemj wrote: »
    Looks good to me. Unless you are well familiar with Windows 8 and know what you're getting into, do NOT install it. It's a total dog's dinner.

Don't intend to! Windows 7 Professional being pre-installed was part of the selection criteria.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 HereIBe

Maidhci wrote: »
    Intel® HD Graphics 4000
    What graphics in your current one?

• Advertisement

What about 8.1?

Haven't used it but from reading, most people happy, that have bothered to upgrade to it.

There nothing wrong with windows 8 you just have to turn off metro.

But if you are getting it with Windows 7 then theres no reason to upgrade either.

For me the quality of the screen and keyboard and graphics card is all important. Hard to just screen and keyboard online, unless theres reviews that dicuss it.

I'd look at the CPU after that.

sugarman wrote: »

Infact, the one in the laptop you are looking at is at the highend of the i3 range and has better performance than a large portion of i5.
    Comparison
    sites

HereIBe wrote: »
    What graphics in your current one?

nVidia Quadro NVS 140M - presumably this is what you asked?

And on another note, windows 8/8.1 with Classic Shell or Start8 installed is a far superior OS than 7.

Installing Classic Shell/Start8 brings back the Start button exactly the same as W7. And now in W8.1 you can disable Metro and the apps and boot straight to the desktop.

Boot times in 8/8.1 are the main reasons I stuck to it originally. Its actually faster than having an SSD on 7. With just a regular drive on 8.

Atleast try what I suggested before wiping it.

Thanks for that. As Windows 7 Pro. is pre-installed and the laptop ships with Windows 8 media, both options are covered. I will work with Windows 7 at first and see how it goes - migrating from XP pro, out of necessity not by choice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

And on another note, windows 8/8.1 with Classic Shell or Start8 installed is a far superior OS than 7.

Installing Classic Shell/Start8 brings back the Start button exactly the same as W7. And now in W8.1 you can disable Metro and the apps and boot straight to the desktop.

Boot times in 8/8.1 are the main reasons I stuck to it originally. Its actually faster than having an SSD on 7. With just a regular drive on 8.

Atleast try what I suggested before wiping it.
    You say 8 is far superior than 7, well I think your way off the mark, I believe 7 is an all round better O/S than the jigsaw puzzle that is 8, you say boot times are faster, well I agree on that but 30 secs is not going to make me install a fisher price O/S.

Windows 8 is the same OS as 7. Just newer with some small improvements. Turn off metro and most people won't know the difference. Complaining about Metro is a bit pointless as you can turn it off. Hence there no need to avoid it when buying a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

beauf wrote: »
    Windows 8 is the same OS as 7. Just newer with some small improvements. Turn off metro and most people won't know the difference. Complaining about Metro is a bit pointless as you can turn it off. Hence there no need to avoid it when buying a laptop.
    Yes I agree 8 is the same as 7 but with the same logic 7 is the same as Vista with a few improvements and Vista got an awful lot of stick, yet Vista with service pack 2 is an excellent O/S.

No one is going to be buying a new laptop with Vista. So who cares...its completely irrelevant to the topic.

Maidhci wrote: »
    nVidia Quadro NVS 140M - presumably this is what you asked?
    Yup.

The Integrated graphics in the one you are looking at are better than the 140M you had, fire ahead and get it if you're happy with it.

140M

4000HD

Gpu comparison site

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Thats well and truly off the mark in my book, Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell is far superior to Windows 7.

Advertisement