Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice asap. Dog poorly

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Boiled Chicken and Rice with a small bit of gravy or something. We have an elderly dog and that's what we give him when he gets a stomach upset.

If you see earlier comments they were given boiled spuds and chicken with stock and all good in the hood now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Kukey

My GSD has this bug now only she is not vomiting but has diarrhoea.She had been eating grass prior to becoming ill and I knew something wasn't right with her.
    She is fasting for 24 hrs now but the poor dog is starving,I had to put her out the back while I fed my other dog otherwise she would have eaten her food on her and I'd be back to square one:(
    Hopefully she will be back to herself tomorrow as there is nothing worse than cleaning up after a dog with diarrhoea!!
    I'd prefer the vomiting anyday:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Kukey wrote: »
    My GSD has this bug now only she is not vomiting but has diarrhoea.She had been eating grass prior to becoming ill and I knew something wasn't right with her.
    She is fasting for 24 hrs now but the poor dog is starving,I had to put her out the back while I fed my other dog otherwise she would have eaten her food on her and I'd be back to square one:(
    Hopefully she will be back to herself tomorrow as there is nothing worse than cleaning up after a dog with diarrhoea!!
    I'd prefer the vomiting anyday:)

Kukey, see my first post on this thread: starving a dog with diarrhoea or vomiting is not recommended any more!

Edited to add: oops, I only said it in relation to vomiting... In fact, it is even more important to continue feeding a dog with diarrhoea, as long as she's readily accepting food!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

DBB wrote: »
    Kukey, see my first post on this thread: starving a dog with diarrhoea or vomiting is not recommended any more!

Edited to add: oops, I only said it in relation to vomiting... In fact, it is even more important to continue feeding a dog with diarrhoea, as long as she's readily accepting food!

When did this advice change DBB?
    Although, thankfully the last time I had to bring a vomiting dog to the vets was 2008:)

That's what I thought that it was only a dog that was vomiting.Thats handy to know as I always thought you can't give anything.
    I would be afraid to give her anything this late now,if I had of known this earlier I would have fed her some chicken and rice.I will give it to her in the morning.
    Thanks again DBB :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

When did this advice change DBB?
    Although, thankfully the last time I had to bring a vomiting dog to the vets was 2008:)

My vet (you know who she is ;-)) told me within the past few months, and a vet nurse friend of mine confirmed it. It was discussed at a recent nutrition conference, I believe, and is even being advised by at least one of the huge dog food companies as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

DBB wrote: »
    My vet (you know who she is ;-)) told me within the past few months, and a vet nurse friend of mine confirmed it. It was discussed at a recent nutrition conference, I believe, and is even being advised by at least one of the huge dog food companies as a result.

Well I personally can give a hats off to that advice. Havent had to clean any puke for hours now. So happy furry mammy over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Have to say DBBs advise really works, Dude has terrible tummy troubles since his accident and it used to take about a week for it all to clear up after a 12-24 hour fast and bland feeding. Now I keep feeding him through it with bland food without fasting and it clears up in 48hrs max! I only remembered recently that when we had a nutrition talk in college from Royal Canin that they recommended the same thing - albeit with only feeding their food, but the principals are the same :P

I ended up bringing my dog to the Vets as the diarrhoea never cleared up.She was eating and drinking but everything just went through her.
    The Vets gave her an injection and antibiotics.I also had to give her Maalox (indigestion tablets) 1/2 hour before food as this puts a lining on her stomach
    and probiotic granules sprinkled on her food.
    Thankfully these worked wonders and she is back to herself:)
    My JRT then got the bug but she was only sick for 3 days.
    Hopefully that's the last of it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Sounds like a bit of an infection. Not serious but symptoms can be frightening. Plain diet and antibiotics should sort it out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement