Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension lump sum question

Options
  • 16-03-2014 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

I understand that when one retires, if they have a private pension they can draw down up to 1.5 times final salary tax free at retirement.

But my question is, what determines final salary.

Say I have a private pension and retire at 50.
    But I have enough savings that i dont need to draw down my pension until im 55. I would have no salary at all at 55, so how do I calculate what I can draw from my pension tax free at 55?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Firstly if you are a sole trader with a private pension you would not be eligible for the 1.5 times final salary you would receive 25% of the fund value tax free dependent on revenue limits.

If you were employed, it would be based on your salary when you left that employment.

The 1.5 times final salary is also dependent on your years of service in that employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Pretty sure the ARF option doesn't apply if you go the 1.5 salary route and you have to purchase an annuity

Advertisement