Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discharge from dogs bum

• 16-03-2014 9:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭

Hey

My puppy has been having problems with her anal glands, vet has put her on Royal Canine Sensitivity food for a 6 week trial to see if that sorts things out. All going ok so far, she's 3 weeks on the food already.

She was sleeping on the leather couch and got up and I notices a transparent wet patch on the couch where her bum was resting up against. The smell is really really not pleasant to say the least!

Is this something I should be worried about and would require another trip to the vets or am I over reacting.......

Any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sounds like her glands might have emptied themselves. The smell would be very bad if they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

andreac wrote: »
    Sounds like her glands might have emptied themselves. The smell would be very bad if they did.

eeek

You could be right there, there wasn't a puddle or anything just a damp patch. But the smell is pretty gross. If it was her glands that emptied themselves is this a normal thing to happen? Have never come across this before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yeah it can happen. Did your vet say what the problem was with the glands?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Yeah sounds like they emptied themselves. What are her poos like on the RC? - they should be firm so they'll put pressure on the glands on the way out and empty them? There's plenty of much better quality foods available for the same if not cheaper than a bag of sensitivity control.

andreac wrote: »
    Yeah it can happen. Did your vet say what the problem was with the glands?

Vet said it could be related to digestion, said it was common in terriers. He said out options were surgery to remove the glands or try her on the royal canine sensitivity diet.

I'm not keen on putting her through the surgery as I was told that if it goes wrong she could become incontinent, that would be a living nightmare and I really don't want to put the puppy through that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 greyfox56

disgusting.

tk123 wrote: »
    Yeah sounds like they emptied themselves. What are her poos like on the RC? - they should be firm so they'll put pressure on the glands on the way out and empty them? There's plenty of much better quality foods available for the same if not cheaper than a bag of sensitivity control.

Her poo's seem fine, a lot better since she started this food trial, we had her on the burns rice and chicken but does;nt seem to have suited her.

greyfox56 wrote: »
    disgusting.

you should see the couch!

you should see the couch!

At least it's leather lol :pac:

Take a look at grain fee foods on zooplus. You could feed a really great quality food with ingredients you understand (compared RC-SC :P ) and save money as you'll be feeding less e.g. Orijen, Acana, Taste of the Wild, Lukullus, Markus Muhle, Barking Heads etc If your vet is giving you the option/suggestion of either RC or surgery I'd be getting a second opinion. Something as simple a probiotic could firm up the poos - I use Jarrow pet dophilus from iherb.

At least it's leather lol :pac:

Take a look at grain fee foods on zooplus. You could feed a really great quality food with ingredients you understand (compared RC-SC :P ) and save money as you'll be feeding less e.g. Orijen, Acana, Taste of the Wild, Lukullus, Markus Muhle, Barking Heads etc If your vet is giving you the option/suggestion of either RC or surgery I'd be getting a second opinion. Something as simple a probiotic could firm up the poos - I use Jarrow pet dophilus from iherb.

Thanks for your advice, appreciate it. Will look into other food options, RC is fierce expensive alright.
    I have another dog and have never had this issue with the glands, so was shocked when this happened (and felt a little bit sick). So could this be a regular occurance would you think? Might need to throw out the cushions if that's the case!

• Advertisement

Yep my dog used to have AG problems where they'd just empty themselves like - usually in the evening when we were all sitting down relaxing! I changed his diet and no problems since.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Our jrt X has problem anal glands as well. we changed her to skinners rice and salmon, she's much improved on it. hasn't needed them doing since Jan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

greyfox56 wrote: »
    disgusting.

Welcome to the forum where pet owners have no problem discussing bum leakage, discharges, colours and textures of poo and best methods for picking up and disposing same! :)

But if you're a bit squeamish I'd avoid looking around a few other threads, TKs dog resource guards his vomit and my dog cocked his leg on a delivery man last month :eek: (The shame)

And at all costs avoid the raw feeding thread where we discuss the best way to cook fish heads, whether your dog prefers crunching through duck necks, or eating raw green tripe (a ruminants stomach lining).

Welcome! We're lovely here!

Sorry mods, a bit off topic, but I couldn't resist:o

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Kukey

And also don't forget explosive diarrhoea,eating their own or other dogs poop
    and licking their bits:p:D
    Op I heard giving a dog raw chicken wings once a week is good for clearing anal
    glands.;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I can't believe nobody's mentioned that joyful part of owning a dog, particularly a white, longish-coated one, when a nugget of poop gets stuck like concrete to their butt-hair, requiring hydrochloric acid, a powerwasher, and a horse-clippers to remove.
    :-D

DBB wrote: »
    I can't believe nobody's mentioned that joyful part of owning a dog, particularly a white, longish-coated one, when a nugget of poop gets stuck like concrete to their butt-hair, requiring hydrochloric acid, a powerwasher, and a horse-clippers to remove.
    :-D

Dingleberries! They always happen when there's onlookers too so they can witness you glove on hand trying to get it off! :p

I can't believe I forgot about the neck roll of shame into fox poo, the most obnoxiously odourous of all poo. There was a yellow lab here that did it yesterday, so I squirted on as much tomato ketchup as I could and rubbed it in. Poor dog looked like it was in a slasher movie. Only left it on for a few minutes as another dog kept trying to lick it off:p.

Does fox poo beat long-dead cod? It probably does, but still. Dead cod has a very *special* aroma.
    I think the most gag-worthy I've had here was when my shep rolled joyously on a semi-liquefied dead rat, complete with dozens of squirming maggots.
    I have to stop writing now, because I gagged then, and I'm gagging now at the memory :-o

Does fox poo beat long-dead cod? It probably does, but still. Dead cod has a very *special* aroma.
    I think the most gag-worthy I've had here was when my shep rolled joyously on a semi-liquefied dead rat, complete with dozens of squirming maggots.
    I have to stop writing now, because I gagged then, and I'm gagging now at the memory :-o

I dunno about anything dead:eek:, but it's the special powers of longevity that wins it the trophy IMO.

And will ya stop it, I had my toast on!! :o. Bleaurrrgh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Yep my dog used to have AG problems where they'd just empty themselves like - usually in the evening when we were all sitting down relaxing! I changed his diet and no problems since.

I had to smile at this, same here with my older lad, always in the evening, always on the sofa, I used to leave a towel under him! I've just realised that since I've had them on Markus Muhle (for about a year now), we've had no anal gland issues with him, it was never that often, just once in a while and his groomer would always check them for me, but happy days on Markus Muhle hopefully! And sweet divine mother - the smell!!

• Advertisement

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    I had to smile at this, same here with my older lad, always in the evening, always on the sofa, I used to leave a towel under him! I've just realised that since I've had them on Markus Muhle (for about a year now), we've had no anal gland issues with him, it was never that often, just once in a while and his groomer would always check them for me, but happy days on Markus Muhle hopefully! And sweet divine mother - the smell!!

OT but would Markus Muhle come out of a treat dispenser eg buster cube/wobble/linkables or do you think the kibbles would be too big? I only use dry for treats and planning ahead. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

OT but would Markus Muhle come out of a treat dispenser eg buster cube/wobble/linkables or do you think the kibbles would be too big? I only use dry for treats and planning ahead. ;)

It comes out of a Kong, it's shelf life shorter than a lot of dry foods so be careful not to order too much if you're not using it regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Yes I would say so, it's pellets rather than nuts and you can break the bigger ones in two quite easily

As Snoman says it's a shorter shelf life, I think 6 months tops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    As Snoman says it's a shorter shelf life, I think 6 months tops

Actually I think it's even shorter, might be 3?

O sweet Jaysus

Human poo here last summer (when people were using the dunes as a public loo rather than walk to the actual loo!) Check and mate.:p

Human poo here last summer (when people were using the dunes as a pubic loo rather than walk to the actual loo!) Check and mate.:p

Typo!!

Human poo here last summer (when people were using the dunes as a pubic loo rather than walk to the actual loo!) Check and mate.:p

*sharp intake of breath*
    Oooohhhhhh.
    I was about to graciously accept defeat there, and laugh at your misfortune.
    But then I remembered a not dissimilar, but possibly worse incident last year on the beach here.
    I errrr.....
    I caught her....
    .................... eating human poo she found in the dunes :eek::(

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: we really need a puking smiley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Try a dog eating another dogs poo, vomiting it back up..................and trying to eat the vomit, stopped by a wretching gagging me. (Not one of my dogs, thankfully)

Most disgusting thing I've ever seen or smelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Whispered wrote: »
    Try a dog eating another dogs poo, vomiting it back up..................and trying to eat the vomit, stopped by a wretching gagging me. (Not one of my dogs, thankfully)

Most disgusting thing I've ever seen or smelled.

I've seen and smelled that too when working in the vets. I have a very strong stomach but this almost topped me over the edge! Bleeeeugh

Advertisement