Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work in oz

Options
  • 16-03-2014 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hi , I was looking to get some info on the general work situation in Australia.i spent the last year getting a skilled independent visa and now that I have it , im getting cold feet about going . I have a safe job in Ireland but im bored as hell with it. im qualified as an agricultural consultant but my visa allows me work at anything I want.i have a lot experience in construction and machinery and would work at that no problem . iv heard stories of how expensive it is in the cities . if I just land in Sydney would I have a good chance of getting some kind of work to help me get on my feet etc? I would be going over as a single man , 33 kinda hoping to make a fresh start , im presuming ther's plenty of people around my age that I could get to know??:) great to get some thoughts !!

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

If you can drive a tractor or a harvester you should have zero problem finding work on farms all over oz! Between seeding and harvest and the Cotten farms over east as well you should find plenty.

It would be in rural areas but find a farmer that likes you and you could get a job for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

If you are willing to work rural, working fly in/fly out you should get a job as an operator/driver on a mine site. You'd need your white card for working on contraction. Most machines you don't need a ticket/licence for necessarily. You get VOC'd (verification of competency) where somebody watches you operate and decides if you are competent.

I've worked with some girls that worked in the office and were bored and wanted to drive a big 40 ton MOXY truck. It's fully auto etc and after 1 day she was VOC'd and good to go. They have reversing cameras so you can see where you are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

With your background and skill set it seems you would have a fair few options even in a city such as Sydney and rural work is no problem! If your interested in more out of the city type work there is a lot too

I'm currently half way through my visa (27 year old Irish lad) living south of Adelaide currently working in vinyards picking grapes and it's easy peasy to get work... I'd imagine you would have no issues getting any sort of rural/agricultural work

There is 2 of us on this trip and we initially flew into and lived in Sydney for a few months my girlfriend and I had no issues finding jobs she even had 5 at one stage, had a reasonably priced apartment before we moved all our stuff into a va doing a road trip and ending up in Adelaide to get the 2nd year visa which we are currently doing and it's going well! It is expensive in Sydney but if you know how to get around and work it it's a great place... Saying that people I've met and places I've been have been since were nicer than Sydney

There is 45,000,000 Irish people living and working in Sydney too so you will never feel left out especially in Bondi... There's even some of those Irish people you wish had stayed at home about the place ;) but something for everyone.

If you do choose to make the change I don't think you'd regret it.. It took me a while to be 100% about coming here and it was one of the best decisions I've made.

Hope it helps...

+ I drove passed an Irish bar at 3pm today and there was people pissed dancing around outside for the day that is in it... you won't be lonely for Irish folk no matter where you go here it seems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

-=al=- wrote: »
    There is 45,000,000 Irish people living and working in Sydney
    F**king hell, that's a lot of undocumented Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

catbear wrote: »
    F**king hell, that's a lot of undocumented Irish!

45,000,000 sounds plausible to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

-=al=- wrote: »
    With your background and skill set it seems you would have a fair few options even in a city such as Sydney and rural work is no problem! If your interested in more out of the city type work there is a lot too

I'm currently half way through my visa (27 year old Irish lad) living south of Adelaide currently working in vinyards picking grapes and it's easy peasy to get work... I'd imagine you would have no issues getting any sort of rural/agricultural work

There is 2 of us on this trip and we initially flew into and lived in Sydney for a few months my girlfriend and I had no issues finding jobs she even had 5 at one stage, had a reasonably priced apartment before we moved all our stuff into a va doing a road trip and ending up in Adelaide to get the 2nd year visa which we are currently doing and it's going well! It is expensive in Sydney but if you know how to get around and work it it's a great place... Saying that people I've met and places I've been have been since were nicer than Sydney

There is 45,000,000 Irish people living and working in Sydney too so you will never feel left out especially in Bondi... There's even some of those Irish people you wish had stayed at home about the place ;) but something for everyone.

If you do choose to make the change I don't think you'd regret it.. It took me a while to be 100% about coming here and it was one of the best decisions I've made.

Hope it helps...

+ I drove passed an Irish bar at 3pm today and there was people pissed dancing around outside for the day that is in it... you won't be lonely for Irish folk no matter where you go here it seems

Feels like it sometimes alright :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gareth33333

thanks for the help guys !
    yea id say the hardest part would be just getting on the plane !
    I think the mines have got bit harder to get into now but def would
    be worth a try.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭S31

hey - congrats on getting your visa! I know this is an old thread but..

Im at the beginning of this process and hope you can answer a question for
    me-
    Did you have to submit proof of settlement funds as part of your visa application?

Thanks!

Advertisement