Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV - Does one have to be registered?

Options
  • 16-03-2014 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

I have been asked to install another CCTV camera to an existing system.
    I thought I'd heard a while back that you had to be registered to install CCTV?

When I go looking all I can find is this which is just a Standard. And standards are just guidelines, not law?!

Should I just plough on and screw the thing to the wall??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I was putting cameras up in my aunts house once and was told you need to be a psa installer.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Its not a guideline its the law. To work on alarms or CCTV you must be PSA registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Another money racket.

Doesn't give the cost for the contractor license on the website, so I know thats going to be expensive.

Whats the craic with training so? The website only lists training for Door Supervisor or Security Guard? No mention of CCTV?

And as you can see here none of the PSA approved trainers do CCTV.

Oh only in Ireland!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I was told the licence is €7,000.

Is it possible to buy and install on your own premises DIY ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I was told the licence is €7,000.

Is this a once off payment or annual renewal payment?

• Advertisement

Is it possible to buy and install on your own premises DIY ?

Knowing this country, no! Sure after 4 to 5 years of FAS you now have to do all that other sh1te to do house bashing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

They don't make it easy for a fella to do a days work!

In order for me to get the license, I have to get a temp license, and if I don't have enough work to warrent the temp license they'll cancel it, not refund my €1000 and leave it at that.

I think the camera may well just appear some morning, the same morning the MCB for the DVR tripped out.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Seanieke wrote: »
    They don't make it easy for a fella to do a days work!

You noticed, and that about sums it up.
    In order for me to get the license, I have to get a temp license, and if I don't have enough work to warrent the temp license they'll cancel it, not refund my €1000 and leave it at that.

That's the difference between sensible regulation and a total shambles of a system that's basically jobs for the boys with no basis in any sort of commercial or business reality about how their regulatory system works.
    I think the camera may well just appear some morning, the same morning the MCB for the DVR tripped out.

I have a strong suspicion that there may well be a lot of minor works jobs that fall into that category.

I wonder how long it will be before it's impossible to get "registered" trades people in a lot of building trades, with the way that gas, electricity, alarms, CCTV and the like are all being regulated.

The worry is that registered, and regulated means very little in terms of quality of work, or cost of that work, and it's very clear that the cost of being "legal" is becoming a serious disincentive to working legitimately in certain areas.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Advertisement