Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People in History

Options
  • 17-03-2014 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

My history teacher makes us write our people in history as if we are the person
    is, My name is Martin Luther and I am....
    However in the book it writes more about the person ( Not you being the person)
    Which format for the people in history is correct ? , can you use both formats ?
    By the way I use The Past Today :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭S_Hick12

Unless the title specifically says "you are..." i'm pretty sure either format is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

You should really never use 'I'.
    So for a religious reformer begin with: 'Martin Luther was a religious reformer'. Then write about Martin Luther.
    As another example, for a monk: 'Brother John was a monk in Glendalough Monastery in Ireland'. Then write about monks in Early Christian Ireland. There's no need to write about your specific monk. You don't need to say for example; Brother John worked as a cook. Just say monks carried out jobs in the monastery such as cooking and farming the land.

Hope this helps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gaeilgeor

VG31 wrote: »
    You should really never use 'I'.
    So for a religious reformer begin with: 'Martin Luther was a religious reformer'. Then write about Martin Luther.
    As another example, for a monk: 'Brother John was a monk in Glendalough Monastery in Ireland'. Then write about monks in Early Christian Ireland. There's no need to write about your specific monk. You don't need to say for example; Brother John worked as a cook. Just say monks carried out jobs in the monastery such as cooking and farming the land.

Hope this helps. :)

Would you lose marks for being the person?,

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭IrishLassie26

Id dont think it makes much of a difference what perspective you write it from once you have historical facts in. For Martin Luther it usually says to write about a Religious reformer. I usually just say Martin Luther was.... and talk about his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

gaeilgeor wrote: »
    Would you lose marks for being the person?,

No, but if you write it in the first person, it has the potential to become a story. It's just better not to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 gaeilgeor

VG31 wrote: »
    No, but if you write it in the first person, it has the potential to become a story. It's just better not to.

Thank you very much but for all our class tests, I seem to get good marks ( so no prob with the story)
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pizzamad

If it says a named person write in third person, but if it is just a person (eg. person in an ancient civilisation outside of ireland) I would write in the first person :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Reading them in the form of "I am ...." is a drag..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Liordi wrote: »
    Reading them in the form of "I am ...." is a drag..

Absolutely and a right PITA to correct, especially when someone thinks they are being funny and starts using what are obviously names of other people in the class or teachers in the school in other 'roles' in their story.

Just as easy to write 'A rich person in Rome would have worn...' as to write 'My name is Seamus and I am a Roman senator' etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MysticManiac

It doesn't REALLY matter, unless the question is like "You are a .... from ... Write about your life" etc. You'd probably lose at most 1 OM mark

• Advertisement
Advertisement