Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike wouldn't start had to jump her!!!

• 17-03-2014 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

Hi guys got on the bike to head home from work tonight. Tried to start it and well nothing just a click when I pressed the button. So I jumped it in second and she came to life for a few seconds then died. Tried the starter button and started not a problem so home I went. I fitted a new batt two weeks ago, carbs were cleaned,plugs done,all fluids changed ect. Anyone any idea of what may have caused this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Broken fuse would be my first port of call. Had similar happen on my old bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

The click you are hearing is probably the relay to the started motor trying to switch.

I had this problem before and my issue was the power lead connecting to the starter motor was all rusted at the connector. I took it off and cleaned the connector and it was ok after that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

If you have a new battery it's probably the regulator/rectifier. What bike is it? Hondas are notorious for reg/rec problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Trebob

Cheers lads! It's a hyosung rx125 sm. It's nothing special a bit raggy only used to commute.
    I did think maybe it was just cold but tbh it wasn't that bad out last night so I ruled that out. I did notice if I gave it a bit of throttle in N it would just about stay alive.
    I have it a shot this morning and fired up straight away.....il give the fuses a looking over anyway. If it's not that and doesn't happen again il play it by ear. The rec I think may be well out of my leauge to change. How big of a job would that be if it was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Trebob wrote: »
    Cheers lads! It's a hyosung rx125 sm. It's nothing special a bit raggy only used to commute.
    I did think maybe it was just cold but tbh it wasn't that bad out last night so I ruled that out. I did notice if I gave it a bit of throttle in N it would just about stay alive.
    I have it a shot this morning and fired up straight away.....il give the fuses a looking over anyway. If it's not that and doesn't happen again il play it by ear. The rec I think may be well out of my leauge to change. How big of a job would that be if it was that?

The regulator/rectifier should play no part in starting your bike. What roadsmart is saying is that your battery might have been dead because the regulator/rectifier did not do its job of keeping it charged on your *previous* journey -- or worse, fecked your battery up... and so the next time you started the bike you had this problem.

Easiest thing is to get a cheap multimeter and check the battery after a spin and make sure its between 12.4 and 12.8 volts, roughly. And check before you start the bike again hours later/whatever...

You can use the multimeter to check the regulator/rectifier too also...

It sounds to me like there might have been a bad connection somewhere...odd that it sorted itself out. Keep us posted, I'm curious.

• Advertisement

rat_race wrote: »
    The regulator/rectifier should play no part in starting your bike. What roadsmart is saying is that your battery might have been dead because the regulator/rectifier did not do its job of keeping it charged on your *previous* journey -- or worse, fecked your battery up... and so the next time you started the bike you had this problem.

Easiest thing is to get a cheap multimeter and check the battery after a spin and make sure its between 12.4 and 12.8 volts, roughly. And check before you start the bike again hours later/whatever...

You can use the multimeter to check the regulator/rectifier too also...

It sounds to me like there might have been a bad connection somewhere...odd that it sorted itself out. Keep us posted, I'm curious.

Ok so I spent the last two hours having a poke around and well I'm stumped. I got a multimeter checked the battery it's spot on. I got in to check the fuses they seem fine they all lit the light thingy anyway.

Now while I was looking I did notice that the control box that houses the starter button did move about a little bit. 1/4in or so, so I tightned that up but thinking about it it couldn't be that either as there would have been no click if the button didn't engage no? Also the wiring harness did look a bit of a mess but all connected nothing's loose now anywhere, oh and it started yesterday and today straight away no problems, I really don't know!

Ok so I spent the last two hours having a poke around and well I'm stumped. I got a multimeter checked the battery it's spot on. I got in to check the fuses they seem fine they all lit the light thingy anyway.

Now while I was looking I did notice that the control box that houses the starter button did move about a little bit. 1/4in or so, so I tightned that up but thinking about it it couldn't be that either as there would have been no click if the button didn't engage no? Also the wiring harness did look a bit of a mess but all connected nothing's loose now anywhere, oh and it started yesterday and today straight away no problems, I really don't know!

Was it raining? I wonder if some wet caused a short circuit somewhere...

Have a look at this, it should guide you through a complete test of your charging system. Charge your battery fully before testing. At this stage it's a process of elimination, so start with knowing your battery and charging are ok. After that it definitely sounds like a loose/burnt connection somewhere.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PevgFfi_oaY

Was it raining? I wonder if some wet caused a short circuit somewhere...

Nope no rain as far as I know that day and I keep indoors over night

roadsmart wrote: »
    Have a look at this, it should guide you through a complete test of your charging system. Charge your battery fully before testing. At this stage it's a process of elimination, so start with knowing your battery and charging are ok. After that it definitely sounds like a loose/burnt connection somewhere.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PevgFfi_oaY

Cheers I'm off all day still have pieces off the bike,so il follow that guide give the batt a charge first and see what I come up with if anything. Would rather find out what it is then leave it only to happen again. Hate having to bump start the bike look like a right d**k :D

• Advertisement

Cheers I'm off all day still have pieces off the bike,so il follow that guide give the batt a charge first and see what I come up with if anything. Would rather find out what it is then leave it only to happen again. Hate having to bump start the bike look like a right d**k :D

It's a great way to find out how stuff works. Enjoy!

Right so I followed that guide I was put onto by roadsmart have to say very interesting watch and it did help a lot so thanks for that mate :D

As I was going through it all I came across an exposed wire just at the battery a mm or so big but exposed none the less it did seem that if knocked it would touch the frame so thinking that maybe cause a short so I wrapped it up and I haven't had a problem since Sunday. So all seems good :)

Now I was checkin the oil and I can't see through the window to see the level. Now it was topped up three/four weeks ago when the carbs and jets ect were done. Surely all that oil can't be gone already there's no dip stick so now wondering if there's any oil at all...could see after the service that the level was spot on. No leaks anywhere and no smoke at all from pipe. Is this something I should be worried about and is it worth putting in sone oil to see if the level rises? Or is there a danger of over filling it and all hell braking loose?

As I was going through it all I came across an exposed wire just at the battery a mm or so big but exposed none the less it did seem that if knocked it would touch the frame so thinking that maybe cause a short so I wrapped it up and I haven't had a problem since Sunday. So all seems good :)

That happened to me before, an exposed wire was rubbing the frame and blowing fuses.
    Now I was checkin the oil and I can't see through the window to see the level. Now it was topped up three/four weeks ago when the carbs and jets ect were done. Surely all that oil can't be gone already there's no dip stick so now wondering if there's any oil at all...could see after the service that the level was spot on. No leaks anywhere and no smoke at all from pipe. Is this something I should be worried about and is it worth putting in sone oil to see if the level rises? Or is there a danger of over filling it and all hell braking loose?

What do you mean, you can't see through the window? Or do you mean you can see through the window, and there is no oil?

There is a danger of putting too much oil in, yeah. Some bikes are different in the way you're meant to check the oil. Sometimes it should be checked cold, other times it should be checked 5 minutes after using the bike, etc. What is it for yours? When your bike is running, it can suck the oil from the sump up into the engine and pump, etc., and there will be no oil visible in the sight glass until it drips back down into the sump, etc.

Maybe this is what's happening? Check your manual.

If you had no oil whatsoever, you would know about it pretty quickly! :)

That happened to me before, an exposed wire was rubbing the frame and blowing fuses.

What do you mean, you can't see through the window? Or do you mean you can see through the window, and there is no oil?

There is a danger of putting too much oil in, yeah. Some bikes are different in the way you're meant to check the oil. Sometimes it should be checked cold, other times it should be checked 5 minutes after using the bike, etc. What is it for yours? When your bike is running, it can suck the oil from the sump up into the engine and pump, etc., and there will be no oil visible in the sight glass until it drips back down into the sump, etc.

Maybe this is what's happening? Check your manual.

If you had no oil whatsoever, you would know about it pretty quickly! :)

Well last time I checked it I could see through the window oil was spot on half way. It was changed new oil ect.

The manual says to start the bike let it idle for a few minutes turn it off and wait a minute and check done that now all I see is white. I've checked it cold and ran it on a short spin too still can't see nothing but white. I even looked into the case to see if there's any it's definatly got some oil lust can't see what level!! Frustrating to say the least.

The white is water mixed in with the oil. It forms a white paste which coats the inside of the glass. It can happen from lying up for a while. Bring the bike for a good hard long spin, it should burn it off. There is another more serious cause, but in your case it sounds like the bike is running fine, so no need to worry you.
    Yet.
    Forgot to add, unscrew the dipstick and clean the inside of it with a cloth, and clean the inlet as well. This is where a lot of that gunk hangs out.

Well last time I checked it I could see through the window oil was spot on half way. It was changed new oil ect.

The manual says to start the bike let it idle for a few minutes turn it off and wait a minute and check done that now all I see is white. I've checked it cold and ran it on a short spin too still can't see nothing but white. I even looked into the case to see if there's any it's definatly got some oil lust can't see what level!! Frustrating to say the least.

White? Or transparent? Can you attach a pic? What exactly are you seeing in the sightglass?

Also, what happens if you tilt it/shake it a bit, or leave it upright? Can you see anything at all in the sight glass?

White? Or transparent? Can you attach a pic? What exactly are you seeing in the sightglass?

Also, what happens if you tilt it/shake it a bit, or leave it upright? Can you see anything at all in the sight glass?

Nothing seems to happen at all it's just white I could see into it a few weeks ago here's a pic. If I shake it tilt it the other direction ect still the same.

Pic one on side stand pic two standing straight up.

That looks to be clear, so forget my post above. Looks like it needs a top up. Top up slowly, a little bit at a time until the level is reached, then give it a short run, let it settle for a few minutes and check the level again.

That looks to be clear, so forget my post above. Looks like it needs a top up. Top up slowly, a little bit at a time until the level is reached, then give it a short run, let it settle for a few minutes and check the level again.

Yeah, looks clear to me too. Just a bit of condensation on the window, from the looks of it.

All that oil shouldn't just disappear though, unless an old/high-mileage bike, right? I've never topped my bikes up in between oil changes.

So although you could/should top-up and check it, I'd also be asking your mechanic how your oil has disappeared in the space of a few weeks.

Did you check your sump and oil filter bolts? No sign of any leakage?

My guess is it wasn't filled properly, but good point about oil drips underneath.

• Advertisement

A thought just occurred to me. Are you checking the oil with the bike on the side stand or vertical? What does your manual say?

A thought just occurred to me. Are you checking the oil with the bike on the side stand or vertical? What does your manual say?

We covered that :) The pics are both (side stand + then vertical in that order)...

There definatly no leaks anywhere il top it up and see if it comes up. There 8,000 km on it since it was serviced I've probably done 300miles I'd say feck all really. Now it was lying up for 6 months prior to me riding it. That's why I got the service done. As a pro would be better than me not that I'm completely useless :D That's only 4 or four weeks ago.

There definatly no leaks anywhere il top it up and see if it comes up. There 8,000 km on it since it was serviced I've probably done 300miles I'd say feck all really. Now it was lying up for 6 months prior to me riding it. That's why I got the service done. As a pro would be better than me not that I'm completely useless :D That's only 4 or four weeks ago.

Dunno, *shrugs*. The oil is probably _somewhere_ in there. I would top up and keep an eye on things over the next 2/3 weeks...

But oil consumption should be a minimum on a 4-stroke. On low-mileage well maintained bikes, the engine should burn feck all oil...as a bike gets older (and/or piston rings/cylinders get damaged), more oil can get into the cylinders and get burned off...and the oil disappears quickly.

I can't see that happening on an 8k bike like your's though!

So I topped it up and now it seems fine still not sure why it's eating oil so much so will keep an eye one that.

But low and behold go to start it again and nothing just click click click again. Haven't tried to bump it yet to see if it fires!! Pretty annoyed now if I'm honest after all of that and back to square one!

This is where I've narrowed the click down to here if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

So I topped it up and now it seems fine still not sure why it's eating oil so much so will keep an eye one that.

But low and behold go to start it again and nothing just click click click again. Haven't tried to bump it yet to see if it fires!! Pretty annoyed now if I'm honest after all of that and back to square one!

This is where I've narrowed the click down to here if that makes a difference.

That's your starter solenoid.

The connection for the positive (red) seems rusted and corroded to hell, id give that a good clean first.

Did you check for a poor ground? The ground wire is usually bolted to the engine on hyosungs. Make sure its not corroded and give it a clean.

Could easily be your battery too. Could be a little weak, perhaps you could get a load test done on it.

I do also remember from experience with hyosungs, mine used to click but it was the brushes in the starter motor had to be cleaned.

Advertisement