Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion and Want to Talk :)

Options
  • 17-03-2014 3:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hello Everyone,

This is a bit weird to be posting this on here but I couldn't think of anywhere else to post it. I had an abortion in England this time last year and while I have had the wondrous support of family, friends and anyone I've told, I really would like to talk to other girls in Ireland who have had abortions.

I go to University everyday where there are thousands of students, and I always find myself wondering if they have been in a similar situation. There is no-one I know who is my age who I can talk to about there experience. I feel that a group, where girls could talk to each other and feel supported would really help. There are thousands of Irish women who have had abortions and I'd love to know you.

Please pm me or post here if you'd like to talk.

P.S. I want this to be a positive post, not disseminate into an argument about the morality or legality of abortion. There are other threads for that where you can post your feelings if you wish. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Split

Not sure if this is in your area but post abortion counselling and after care- they maybe able to link you with people who have had an abortion if you dont get great results here

http://www.abortionaftercare.ie/post-abortion-counselling

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Here in Personal Issues we dont permit users to pm the op, and its really an advice forum so Kenkashin I've moved your thread to a discussion forum more suited to your topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

Hey KenKashin,

I'm not in Ireland but I have more experience with abortion than I wish I had. So if you wanna talk or ask questions, i'll answer them as best as I can.

Love J

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Hi Kenkashin, I'm an Irish woman who had an abortion in 2008. The only face to face support group I know of is the one run by Youth Defense which for obvious reasons isn't recommended. :( If you want to "talk" I'm very open about my experience and am happy to share either here on the main board or via pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Hi, I am also a person who traveled to the UK to have an abortion several years ago.
    There several types of post abortion counselling services but as far as I know, not support groups.
    There had been efforts to set some up previously but people didn't seem to want to gather.

How ever the abortion rights campgain are hoping to set up an exhale program here soon.
    https://exhaleprovoice.org/after-abortion-support

I know it's something I would be interested in taking part in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Kenkashin

Thanks everyone, I'm going to contact some organisations and see what they say. If people feel ok about talking about their stories here, it'd be really good to hear them.

Kenkashin wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, I'm going to contact some organisations and see what they say. If people feel ok about talking about their stories here, it'd be really good to hear them.

Well, I'll start :)

I had my first baby in 1997 when I was 19, I had nothing going for me, no job, no family support, I was homeless, had no money...only for my boyfriend and his family god knows what would have happened. I've always been pro choice but I knew despite how crap my situation was that abortion wasn't for me. I had my daughter, went back to college, married my boyfriend, got a job, bought a house. I was the poster girl for how a pregnancy doesn't have to be the end of the world and I thought after going through all that and coming out the other side I would never be in a position where I would think about abortion.

When the recession hit in 2008 my husband lost his job and mine was very unstable ( my company eventually closed in 09 ). It was at this time I found out I was pregnant, we hadn't been taking precautions and got caught out. I was 31. he was 36.

I knew from the moment I took the test I wasn't going to have the baby, money issues aside I just didn't want a child at that time. We were getting married in a few months and I was finally starting to get a bit of freedom now my daughter was older. Luckily we were both on the same page so we organised everything and flew over the the UK a few weeks later. We were fortunate that we had the money and had each other for support but it was awful, the feeling of having to sneak away like we were doing something to be ashamed of is still with me, I feel so angry to this day I was forced to travel for something that I should be able to access in my own country.

The clinic was full of girls with overnight bags so I can only imagine they were Irish too. One in particular I will never forget, she only looked about 16 or 17, the same age my daughter is now. She spent the entire time we were in the waiting room turned into a wall crying, I didn't go over to her but I wish I had now. She was on her own, how can we force our women, children in some cases, to go through this ordeal on their own. Its shameful :mad:

Mentally I'm fine now, I don't have any regrets but for a long time after the nasty comments from the pro life groups got to me and made me feel very depressed. I never felt I need counselling but it's nice to talk to people who have been there and share your frustrations.

Physically I'm fine and was able to have a healthy pregnancy the following year when we were back on our feet and more financially able for it. I still feel resentful at people who don't take the time to listen to the stories of women and couples and just judge. I've lost friends over it, people who can't accept it but I've also found some amazing people who support my decision. Even my mother in law who was a traditional Catholic for so long told me last year she respects our decision and is now pro choice.

I don't feel any shame in what I did. I never thought I would ever be in a position that I would consider abortion let alone actually have one but it just goes to show you never know what you will do in a situation until you are in it yourself.

Thank you for sharing your story Eviltwin. As mentioned in another thread I had three abortions :( To prevent a very, very long story, I'll stick to the first one here, since that one took place in Ireland.

When I was 20 I moved over from my homecountry to Ireland. Looking back it was a textbook story; young girl moves away from home, behaves irresponsibly and endes up pregnant. I had a drunken one night stand with a guy I went out with. We forgot to use a condom and having no knowlegde about Ireland's healthcare system, marched into Boots the following morning asking for the MAP. She must have had a stroke hearing that question.....and told me I had to go to a GP and he would prescribe me one. Only issue was that I was flat broke from the recolation, hadn't had my wages yet and no-one to borrow money from. I thought/prayed I would be fine, and gambled wrong. I vividly remembered the moment when I figured out I could be pregnant, I just made dinner, potato wedges and fishfingers when I felt my stomach lurge. I couldn't touch the fish fingers anymore, but I ate those potato's like it was my last meal. In a sense it was; from that moment, till the moment I had my abortion, I couldn't eat properly anymore, I was too sick.

The next day I got a test. It literally took 3 seconds for a positive result to show up; I felt gutted. I was merely 5 weeks in a new country, with no money to go back home, in a new job that I couldn't aford to lose, I knew nobody except for the people I came with(and we weren't that close) and to top it off, I got a call the exact same day only to hear that my granddad has suddenly passed away.

I don't really recall the days after that. I went to my granddads funeral and couldn't bring myself to tell my parents I was pregnant. The man I slept with was a black man, not an issue to me, but my father is pretty racist and I knew he wouldn't accept it, and indeed he didn't. When I finally had the heart to tell them, I was told I got pregnant by someone little better than "a pig"and that I had disgraced them and the family and what was I thinking?

In the meantime I got sick, very, very sick. I threw up non-stop and lost a lot of weight. During that time, me and the people I came to Ireland with had decided to rent a house together, so I gave up the room I had in another house share and moved in with them, meaning that I had a matras on the floor in the living room, then they dropped a bombshell: they had changed their minds, could I please find somewhere else to live? The next week were nothing short of hell: they played video games in the livingroom(where I slept) till 4:00/5:00 am in the morning, while I was in a dire state physically from the pregnancy and very sleep deprived from them staying up so late and the never ending vomiting. Often I went out on the street at night, wandering/staggering around, because it was more quiet there than inside. People must have thought I was homeless: my skin had a weird yellow tone to it because I was dehydrated and lacking in vitames and very underweight. Since it was their house, I didn't had the heart to tell them if they could please stop earlier and let me sleep and they never once asked if I was okay, even though it must have been so obvious that I was not.

The decision to have an abortion, I must admit, was easier to make because I was so sick. I really did fear for my health and how long I would be able to keep this up. But part of me was very sad too: I had this vision of a dark skinned baby girl with braided hair in the cutest dresses imaginable and I felt happy at the thought of becoming a mum. It felt so bizarre ringing that abortion clinic and making an appointment; I never in a million years thought I had to do that, let alone three times.

I arranged time of off work under the guise of a holiday back home and flew back to NL. When the day came I was sort of relieved. My mum went with me, and my dad gave me a lecture after I came home from the procedure. It was one of the loneliest moments of my life: I was in pain from the abortion, just lost my child I deep down didn't really wanna lose and my father was giving out about getting pregnant by a black man, horrible thing, never do that again, etc. etc. Sometimes I wonder if he realised what he was saying and how hurtful and unthoughtful it was, or that he just lost his first grandchild.

The effects of the abortion were instant: I could eat normally again immediately and I ate like nothing else on Gods earth. After 7 weeks of eating jars of baby-food, and throwing it back up almost instantly, having a proper meal felt like winning the lottery. It roughly took 6 months for me to regain all the weight I lost, and three weeks before all the bruising in my stomach I got from all the throwing up had gone away.

A little while ago I gave an interview in a newspaper about my experience with abortion. I don't know the reactions it got, I deliberately didn't read it. But the abuse we get from the pro-life camp is nothing but horrific. I remember two girls on an abortion forum who were raped and fell pregnant as a result: none of them recieved any sympathy for entertaining the idea of abortion or any words of compassion for what happend to them; in fact, they were told that it had"happend for a reason" and therefore had to have this baby, no matter what. The stories behind our choice do not seem to matter to them, I never understood why they are so fixated on other womens pregnancies and what we should or shouldn't do with it. They act like we woke up on a rainy sunday afternoon and decided to get have an abortion because of the free tea and cookies you get afterwards, it's ridiculous. Story/rant over :)

Thanks for sharing guys :)

I only had an abortion last year, on May 18th 2013. I was 20 when i fell pregnant after my boyfriend and I had sex for the first time. He was 19. I remember my body starting to get a little flabbier and I started sleeping really well. Even on the day I found out I was pregnant, I had no idea. It was Valentines day and my boyfriend and I went to the Zoo. We had a great time, but I remember passing an anti abortion stand somewhere near henry st and my boyfriend and I began debating about abortion. I was very pro-choice and he was totally against abortion. On the way home from the zoo I decided to buy a pregnancy test because my period was due and I just thought it would put our minds at ease until it arrived. I was living in Student Residences at the time and went back to the apartment I lived in with the girls. I peed while my boyfriend chatted to one of my housemates. Later he told me that she had said "You know she is probably pregnant, right? So you need to be prepared." It seemed I was the last to know I was pregnant. Looking back at photos I had gained a lot of weight and I'm usually quite thin so it was pretty obvious.

Everyone I lived with was hugely supportive buying me loads of food that night while we all freaked out and indulged in anything and everything. I remember sitting on the floor of my room with my boyfriend and him offering to pay for an abortion in England. I was shocked, considering a mere few hours ago he'd been adamant that it was morally wrong. Telling my mum was easy enough, she was shocked yet supportive but firm that she believed an abortion was the best decision.

So I went at the end of February to get an abortion in Essex, but for some strange reason the ultrasound wouldn't work on my tummy and they calculated I was only 4 weeks pregnant (even thought I was 6) and so it was too early for me to have an abortion. They said to wait a few weeks and come back. About 8 days later I had some bleeding and so went to my college doctor who sent me for an emergency scan in Holle St. This was weird. My boyfriend and I both enjoyed getting the scan done and seeing the images but it had no effect on our decision. Shockingly, they had been wrong in Essex, by then I was over 8 weeks pregnant and as there are restrictions after 9 weeks in England I had to take the first available appointment and go. I was really really angry with the clinic.

This time I went to Bristol with my mum which was much nicer. I remember undressing into one of those gowns and being so scared when I went into the procedure room and seeing the stirrups for your feet. I think i would have left at that point out of fear had the nurse not been so nice and stayed with me and held my hand. I got the anesthetic which made me feel woozy and don't remember anything until I remember kinda coming to and being confused and trying to sit up and seeing the surgeon move a small plastic tube in and out of me. Then i was brought to the recovery room and made lie down with other girls. One was crying. Then the next girl was still recovering from her anesthetic when she was brought in and started singing. Everyone just laughed at her, it eased the tension.

I left after an hour and as my flight wasn't til the evening I had to walk around Bristol all day with mum. I was suprised at how normal I felt, physically and emotionally. My boyfriend collected me from the airport and i stayed with him that night, which I had done every night since I found out I was pregnant.

Because I had to go twice, and brought mum, it cost about 1,500 euro for the abortion which i think was hugely expensive. I was lucky that my parents funded it.

Now I try not to think about my abortion. I still feel really angry when I see any Pro-life people or posters. I just want to hit them!! For a while I felt sad, until I realised I wasn't mourning the loss of a baby, I was mourning the loss of what "could have been". I know this was the right decision. I'm in a very competitive course in University and have high ambitions for the future, ambitions that, because of finances etc., could never be achieved had I stayed pregnant.

I found the first year very hard. Things were quite raw and I felt very vulnerable for a while, I cried a lot and couldn't really understand it because I knew I wasn't in any way regretting what I did so I couldn't get my head around the crying. I know now there is a process when you go through something like this, its probably similar to the baby blues new mums get, its all hormonal and the emotional impact of the travelling and the fact things in this country are still so cloaked in secrecy.

I found once I got past what would have been my due date I could breathe again and things slowly got better.

Kenkashin my heart just goes out to you, bad enough to have to make that journey once let along twice :eek: People really don't appreciate how difficult it is to travel under these circumstances, even though its "only" the UK, the face you are going for such a difficult reason makes it so so hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

That first trip sounds very dodgey was it a BPAS clinic?
    There are rogue clinics in the UK who lie to women about how far long they are and what the law is.
    I would never refer anyone to any place which wasn't a BPAS clinic.

eviltwin there is a hormone reset after an abortion the same as a miscarriage and the hormonal fluctuations can cause us to be highly emotional, even when we know we have made the right decision. It can take 3 months for our bodies to settle back down again even with the abortion being done around 10 - 12 weeks.

There is less of a hormonal impact if the abortion pill is used earlier but that's not legal here and it's not a option for women who travel.

It was Marie Stopes, I'd definitely recommend the one in Bristol, just not Essex. What I'd tell any girl to do is go to the Marie Stopes clinic in Ireland and get a scan there first for ten euro and they will tell you how far along you are and you don't have to see the images if you don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭MaryDublin

Hi ladies,

I had my abortion in 2003 at 7 weeks and 1 day, in Manchester. I decided to have it because of some very messed up "facts" from my ex GP about what would happen to the baby because i'd taken the MOP and it hadn't worked. I was 23, very confused and stupidly trusted the doctor.

My boyfriend of the time went with me and honestly, if he could have flown the plane over or done the procedure himself i'm sure he would of. I had no pain relief so felt every single bit of it and when I left the recovery area I got no hug or are you ok from himself......he was very clinical about it all. We went to a pub that had rooms over it and I got into bed to sleep for a few hours before our flight home. He sat on the other bed watching cartoons on tv. I suppose it was his way of dealing with things. I swear, that bed in that manky room was THE most comfortable bed I have ever slept in as I was in so much discomfort. Everyone in my family knew about it as I told them and my father begged me not to do it. Himself never told his family at all.

I recently got married (so recently that we're just back from honeymoon and i'm jet lagged hence the terrible writing style) and we've decided to try for a baby so, even though I think about my little Franky Bean every day, the feelings of guilt mixed with knowing that I did what I felt I had to do for everyone, not just me are more obvious then they have been in a long long time. Like some else said (sorry, I can't find it just now) I mourn what could have been but in the end if I didn't do it then I would never have finished my BA, gotten to my MA, travelled a lot of the world and really learned to appreciate my life.

In ways doing it ended an innocence in me but it awakened another part of me which i'm glad to have.

I find it disgusting that we can't talk freely about having an abortion because there are so many self-rightious people out there who know NOTHING about the individual reason and story that each person who experiences an abortion has and yet decide that we are subhuman. You had an abortion? You're a slut! It infuriates me.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

Brilliant thread.

Can I ask how you ladies deal with friends/work mates etc with very strong views against abortion? Are you able to put that to one side and still maintain a friendship with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I've never had an abortion, and hopefully will never have to have one. While I can't understand what it's like, I think you ladies show outstanding courage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

This thread is truly something. I've not had an abortion and am pro choice, but your stories are powerful. Sending hugs.

I have one friend who is Pro-life. She is very well off and has lived in a sort of priviledged bubble for her whole life. While I really like her, it does distress me that she is against abortion. However she has always been fully supportive of my decision and even said that she thinks it was the best option. However if she had ever been mean to me, expressed her disapproval etc. about it, I would have had to cease a friendship with her immediately.

I had two prolife friends who dropped me like a stone because according to them what I did was unforgivable and they could never look at me in the same way again. I didn't even know they were prolife. I told one of the girls after I came home, she betrayed my confidence by telling the second girl so I'm glad in a way she's no longer in my life. Still hurts though that after 15 years of friendship she'd judge me on one day and one decision. I won't tell anyone now unless I know 100% they are prochoice. It's just not worth it.

Hi CarMe,

Good question.

I usually will talk to them about their opinion and, depending on how close I am to them, I will tell them I had one.
    I never get aggressive or insulting with them and I don't tell them I had one for any specific reaction; it's more for them to see the face of someone who has actually experienced it as I find a lot of people often have never actually met someone who had an abortion/admits to having has one and sometimes talking to one of us helps them to open their minds a little bit......to see that it's not a thoughtless 'ah sure feck it, it's grand' thing to go through.

Unlike a lot of pro lifers I would never shove my experiences or beliefs down anyones throats - if people want to talk about it in a respectful manner then I will chat freely about it. However, call someone who has had one a slut, slag, whore, irresponsible, murderer etc and I will get a little bit more pointed in my response.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Elaine7605

Hi, my story is very similar to yours. My experience was a long time ago now though. I still believe that I made the right decision, and I did the best that I could have done, given the circumstances that I was in at that time. It was a frightening and lonely experience - I too was shocked at the number of Irish women in the clinic that day, yet the air of silent shame hung over us - the legacy of Catholic guilt. I have never been religious, yet the rules of this Power House still greatly affect our society's values and laws. Following my experience I went through a period of wanting to talk about it... needing to talk about it. I quickly began to realise that my conversation was falling on deaf (and often appallingly ignorant and offensive) ears. I too lost friends. Not through any great arguments, but through slow disengagement. I would greatly advise anyone that if you need to talk, do it with someone you completely trust and who will not spread your business around. I still think about my experience and 'what could have been'. It pops into my head maybe every few months (given it was almost 18yrs ago) - it sure is hard not to think about it when political and social debate can sometimes be relentless (however I find in rural Ireland it's the God Squad that are the pro-life champions, compared to other social groupings in the cities - still, either way, both will find a way to terrorise through their posters and banners). Isn't it still shameful that we brave women have to carry the can by not only having to be the final decision maker, having to travel far, often having to foot the bill, and then live with the aftermath... easy to forget it takes two people to create a pregnancy!

• Advertisement

If this is relevant to anyone here, I was wondering how you coped with leaving the partner you feel pregnant with? Sometimes I feel like it would be easier for me to move on without him and other times it freaks me out knowing that I won't have anyone to talk to about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Hi OP, I've never had an abortion but just wanted to say great thread, I would also urge you to seek some free counselling at your university, you may not think you need counselling but this is such a huge thing to go through, I think it would really help you to talk to someone who wont judge. Especially if you are considering leaving your partner, you can have someone else to share your experience with. All the best.

Hi Kenkashin,

The father and I stayed together for another 8 months after the abortion.

8 months too long.

I sank into a depression after the whole thing and he just wouldn't talk to me about it which made me feel worse and worse as I thought I couldn't talk to anyone else because it was our experience.
    As you can see from my story posted earlier, he wasn't the most supportive person and so the more he withdrew the worse I got until we eventually split up. He'd still been telling me he loved me and when I said that to him as we were breaking up he said "I haven't for a long time. I just said it because I thought I could get back in to it"........ouch. Up until we split up I still, for some reason, thought I loved him and thought somehow we would make it work.

Why is the idea of leaving your partner in your head?
    If you hadn't had your abortion do you think that you guys would still be together anyway?
    If you stay with him is it because you love him and want to be with him or is it a fear that you will never find anyone else?

I'm still with my partner. For about 18 months after I wanted to talk about it a lot. That need to talk slowly went away. I found it hard to talk to my partner, nothing to do with him as he was great, but he didn't go through it, he didn't experience the pregnancy, he didn't incur the wrath of the prolife brigade. That is not to take away from the emotional burden he was under but we were in different positions.

It's only by talking with other prochoice women who have had abortions that I've found closure. I don't think about it much anymore, I used to think about it all the time. Sometimes I have to remind myself that it actually happened at all.

I wouldn't stay in a bad relationship just to have someone to talk to. It could be counterproductive. There are private groups on FB where you can 'talk' without judgement. Whatever happens with your relationship, you won't be alone.

The estimated due date for my pregnancy was 4th April 2004.........ten years ago. IF i'd have kept it i'd (possibly) be celebrating it's 10th birthday with it today.....wow.......day for reflection for me.

The father of my first baby was a one night stand, and he was very eager to keep the baby because it would give him permanent residency in Ireland. At the risk of sounding like I choose an abortion as the easy way out, I'm so glad I didn't get entangled in that type of legal situation.

The second and third ones were by the same man, I left him about nearly a year after the abortion. I couldn't really talk about it with him and some things happend that made me wonder if he actually cared about it. I saw him one more time after the break up and he didn't seem too bothered about it, that's when I knew the break up had been for the best. Too much had happend between us and this gave us both the chance to start over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

I had one coming up on three years ago. It was the right decision and I've always known that, but the pregnancy, procedure and aftermath were horrific.

Literally, the day my period was due I started getting nauseous. Within a week I was throwing up, and after that I never stopped. I had hyperemesis and spent the entire next six weeks in and out of hospital for fluids.

I'd only been with the baby daddy less than a year and we were doing the long distance thing. He never came to visit me when I was in hospital and I was in a house share. I had no one to help me so I literally spent every minute I wasn't in hospital lying in bed with my eyes closed trying not to move in case the motion made me vomit.

He had just given up a paid job, so he was of no financial support at all either. I didn't get paid for sick leave and I work retail so there was no way I could be on my feet all day. Never mind the movement, the smell of perfume made me gag!

We were humming and haaahing over the situation for a long time. And because I was so ill I couldn't travel. It was almost week 12 when we made the decision and I was well enough to go, and only because I'd been in hospital for 2 days so I had fluids and anti-sickness meds in my system! The last thing they did in the hospital before I left was give me a 12 week scan "saying as I was there". I can still see my baby in my minds eye moving around. That will always stay with me.

So I had to pay for the flights for the two of us, a hotel because I didn't think I'd be able to travel back with the sickness, and the procedure itself because he had nothing. It drained every bit of money I had in the world, but I did it. When I rang the clinic to book the appointment I remember having to repeat myself about four times because my throat was so sore from being sick all the time.

The procedure when you arrive in Manchester airport is that there will be a cab driver holding up a number that they give you, and then they take you to the clinic.

When we got off the plane we saw about 4 other women from our flight going to the taxi drivers with the number signs. I was a bit shocked, I thought id be the only one. When we got to the clinic there were a good few other Irish girls there. It was a Saturday after all, so I assume a lot of Irish girls come on the weekends.

The ladies in the clinic were absolutely wonderful, out of this world, but they almost didn't perform the procedure. I went to have a dating scan, and the lady was asking me questions about my health, and because I'd spent so long in hospital I had to meet two other doctors. My heart was racing the whole time, terrified that I was going to be sent home because I couldn't afford to come again.

They agreed to perform the termination but I couldn't have anaesthetic. They did sedate me though but I kind of started to come to towards the end and I cried out. I remember hearing the doctor asking the nurse to quieten me down in case I scared the other patients. I felt terrible about that.

When I went to the recovery room, I was put with other women and they give you juice and biscuits. There was a young girl there, English, only about 18 and she was crying so I held her hand. There was about six of us and we all shared the same pain, it felt right to help eachother out.

When I left the clinic an hour later my nausea was totally gone, it was like a miracle. I had my first meal (nandos) in almost 2 months! I didn't stop eating for about a week after that!

When I came home I told one person what had happened and they basically gave me dogs abuse for it. I've never seen vitriol and hatred like it. After that I didn't tell another person for a long time. I shut down and kept it to myself. It extended so far that I wouldn't even talk to my doctor about it. Which was bad because I spent the next two years bleeding permanently. I was in a constantly hormonal state. Before the termination, I only ever craved chocolate when I had my period. But I always wanted then. Also my relationship with my ex was falling apart and I was desperately trying to hold onto it because I didn't want us to become one of those couples who gets destroyed by an abortion. I moved across the country to be with him and left my friends behind, started again, which was also really tough going.

So, I finally stopped bleeding a few months ago, I ended my relationship that I was miserable in. And I let the bad stuff go. I forgave myself. I'm about 4 stone heavier than I was when this all happened, but I'm working on that.

I've also met someone else, he's wonderful, he proposed recently and he knows absolutely everything about this situation and loves me anyways. I've happily accepted because I know he's the one.

It was mentally the worst ordeal ever. But I know now that you can never get over it until you let it go. You can either let it take you over, or you can see it as a contrast, an experience. Because without bad experiences you can never truly appreciate the good ones. :) xxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Huge hugs to you Hattoncracker xx

I wonder if anyone would be interested in meeting up? Or would people rather leave it? I don't mean to sit and just talk about our experiences, rather to meet people who have something very personal in common and maybe to make new friends. Just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

MaryDublin wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone would be interested in meeting up? Or would people rather leave it? I don't mean to sit and just talk about our experiences, rather to meet people who have something very personal in common and maybe to make new friends. Just a thought.

I'd be up for that! It would be nice to meet new people. Not even to talk about our experiences but to know that if I needed to id have someone who understands!

Advertisement