Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Busker Season!

Options
  • 17-03-2014 4:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭

For at least five hours tonight two lads (sax and accordion) played 'When The Saints Come Marching In' over and over and over and ov....(ye get the gist) badly across from Neactains.
    I've commented before that Galway buskers have seemed to have copped on to themselves but this pair really brought down the standard. The lads playing the plastic buckets come a close second.
    The feckers made a fortune from passing trade though.
    Has summer arrived?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Stuck record season upon us again? :-/ oh I am disappoint - headphones at the ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I think he's only around for july, but for the last couple years there's been a guy outside GBC playing wonder wall, badly. Like really badly. And that's all he plays.

It must be worth his while with the money though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Spaniard14

Still you can find 2 or 3 guitarists that play really well!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The quality varies hugely. Some are far too into it. Others are a good laugh. Others just bring along three buckets and two sticks and have at it all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Was just discussing this with co-workers.

I think the buskers add a lot to the city. But some of them are completely inconsiderate to the businesses in the area.

Some are great, we have a rapport with them, they come in and talk to us, don't play too loudly, have a repertoire of more than two songs and move on after a reasonable amount of time.

Others bring as many amps as they can carry and play their two songs over and over until you think you're going insane. If you ask them to move on or lower the volume, they get thick.

The guy with the buckets "played" outside us for hours the last day and I had to take painkillers for a headache. Couldn't hear the customers, couldn't hear people on the phone, etc.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

The sax guy needs to stop. Seriously. He doesn't even play a discernible tune. The poor shop workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

the baldish is guy who sits in the street, doing some radiohead wailing in a womans voice needs to STFU.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

snubbleste wrote: »
    I thought Menopause: The Musical was a Twink thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Gasket44

There are some musical geniuses out there at the moment

Top 10 in no particular order

Jamaican Brian - Drummer with no rhythm
    Beavis & Butthead - Didgeridoo and Drum Combo - Unbelievably the drummer is even worse than JB!
    Red Headed Stranger - American ballad singer that misses too many notes and whose amp is that bit loud
    Spanish Pride - 3 girls and a drum - one girl sings ok - but very loud and goes on and on and on and on
    Very pleasant Sax player - youtube performer extrordinaire! If only he could play like he can kick a door ...........
    Accordion Gnome - only after dark - murders the same 3 tunes all night
    Anyone who sings Hallelujah!
    Sit on the ground baldy guy who sings miserable songs
    Robin Van Pesky - Dutch Irish ballad singer
    The very talented bucket players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Alright lads. Let's not get too personal here. The people you're referencing could just as easily be on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

I flipping hope so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I disagree with that top ten slag list actually, and agree with rhg about not slagging off the locals. Everyone to their own, once they are respectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Gasket44

I work on Shop Street and it gets kinda personal when somebody is wrecking your head for more than 2 hours at a time.

If somebody is allowed perform on the street they should be open to critical analysis.

Respect is a 2 way thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

Was passing by Tigh Neachtains on Good Friday afternoon. There was an old man playing the tin whistle leaning against the wall of the place. He was almost lamenting to the fact his favourite pub was closed. It looked like the man needed a hug... and a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

Gasket44 wrote: »
    I work on Shop Street and it gets kinda personal when somebody is wrecking your head for more than 2 hours at a time.

If somebody is allowed perform on the street they should be open to critical analysis.

That's true but if a user on here got that level of insult, they'd get an infraction. As someone who has busked on Shop Street, it's a little bit of an uncomfortable read. It's a harder to stand on the street for an hour or two and perform than it is to insult someone on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

It reminded me of a documentary about Shop St a few yrs ago on tv.A well known lady who owns quite a big shop in the Shop St/William St area was on the show talking about how much the Buskers "add to the atmosphere" of the area and they are great. Yet I worked for awhile not too far from her shop and would see her verbally abusing them if they set up anywhere near her shop entrance and physically running them out of the area. So they were "great" (once they weren't near her):).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

swine wrote: »
    That's true but if a user on here got that level of insult, they'd get an infraction. As someone who has busked on Shop Street, it's a little bit of an uncomfortable read. It's a harder to stand on the street for an hour or two and perform than it is to insult someone on the internet.

I admire people that put themselves out there like that but do you not think it's better that people find out that they're not very good through constructive criticism so that they can go and find something they might be good at instead? I mean this in the best possible way!

Gasket44 wrote: »

Agreed, about respect being a 2 way thing. But it's also relative... I used to work and live in that area too, and I've said this before, but Elvis Presley could be singing on Shop Street, and if you work there daily he will make your top ten slag list. Someone playing early morning will drive some people bonkers, other will think they are amazing. We don't get to slag off businesses on here so I think it's a bit unfair to slag off individuals playing music. And before someone says they are all on the dole and don't pay taxes, that's actually not accurate across the board. If you feel the need to make a slag list, maybe musicians forum is a fairer platform?

I admire people that put themselves out there like that but do you not think it's better that people find out that they're not very good through constructive criticism so that they can go and find something they might be good at instead? I mean this in the best possible way!
    :P

If a musician quit being a musician just because of someones *opinion* posted on boards which was 'constructive criticism', then yeah, perhaps they shouldn't be a musician in the first place LOL!

In fact if most famous people read 'critique' on all the internets, and took it on, they would probably switch to another career, no? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

inisboffin wrote: »
    :P

If a musician quit being a musician just because of someones *opinion* posted on boards which was 'constructive criticism', then yeah, perhaps they shouldn't be a musician in the first place LOL!

In fact if most famous people read 'critique' on all the internets, and took it on, they would probably switch to another career, no? ;)

I think calling some of them musicians is a stretch to be fair! I could go down there and bang a few drums out of rhythm but it doesn't make me a musician. I just feel sorry for people who do it when it's clear to everyone except themselves that they've no talent. But hey if it makes them happy and they don't annoy other people too much then who am I to judge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

I do agree that they're not immune to criticism, and I know they can be a pain for some working in close proximity. I just felt that some posts in this thread were a bit over the line and not exactly constructive criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Sadly, there is a lot of delusions with many people regarding their musical ability. One only has to look at the various singing and talent shows to see that there are a lot of people lacking in talent who are deluded into thinking that they are much better than they are. I have no doubt that some of the bad buskers on shop street think they are much better than they are and don't realise that they are only causing the ears to bleed of those around them. The truth hurts but it also sets people free. Sadly we are living in a society where people think it's appropriate to be dishonest rather than hurt someones feelings hence why people develop untrue grandiose ideas about their own talents and abilities.

For some it would do them no harm to hear honest opinions. Why is it okay to rate various things on sites like trip advisor where people are directly affected but not okay to rate buskers.

Wasn't there proposals in dublin to bring in an auditioning system for buskers before permits. Sadly anyone without a note in their head can pitch up on shop street. For every class act out their sadly there are some aweful buskers too that should not be allow to perform in public as they are simply not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Others just bring along three buckets and two sticks and have at it all day.

(Not Galway, mind...)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

In my dim and distant youth I (along with LOTS of Galway people) spent some summers in Munich which has a lengthy pedestrianised city centre with loads of opportunities for buskers to play.

They brought in a simple regulatory system whereby one required a permit to play legally. The permit was free, a limited number (I think 10 but that sounds quite low) were issued daily on a first come first served basis and there were only a few commonsense restrictions.

The busker had to display his/her permit while playing and was supposed to move their position ever half hour or so. Each busker was only permitted one permit per week. Sundays and holidays were permit-free.

Certain classes of instrument were forbidden: no brass, electrically amplified or percussion instruments.

Only one instrument was specifically banned from the streets of Munich: Dúdelsackspfeiffen. That's bagpipes to you and me.

Eminently sensible!

Mind you, it still had the blight that affects all cities namely that ninety per cent of buskers will play the same two or three bleeding songs. In those days it was Blowing in the Wind, The Boxer and The House of the Rising Sun. Nowadays it seems to be feckin Wonderwall, and maybe (although gladly this has seemed to disappear from most buskers' repertoires) "Why does it always rain on me"

An "audition system" would be too unwieldy to be workable but a simple first come first served free permit system to limit numbers and perhaps a "No Stairway" banned list of songs you are just NOT ALLOWED TO PLAY would improve matters greatly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Heard Wonderwall the last day and resisted the urge to get a 15-20 year sentence somehow. Stick that on the banned list.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

zarquon wrote: »
    Sadly anyone with or without a note in their head can pitch up on shop street. For every class act out their sadly there are some aweful buskers too that should not be allow to perform in public as they are simply not good enough.

Fixed that for ya.

Licensing is a nice idea, but then you get into whose judgement it is.

If you're as sensitive as my choir director, then almost everyone who sings on Shop St is probably out of tune. If you're me, then pretty much everyone is ok.

And who's gonna tell a cute 7 year old that they can't sing. And at what age do we say that cute no longer cuts it.

And for some, the act is the theatrics rather than the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Wasn't there a proposal to ban the buskers from using amps? I'm guessing that never happened...

It was bloody headwrecking over the Easter weekend, there was a goon with an electric guitar/amp/backing track every few metres. As you walked down the street each clashed with the other into a godawful racket. I managed to hear three different (diabolical) renditions of wagonwheel (oh how I hate that song) on one trip from Eglington St to Quay St...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

"Sit on the ground baldy guy who sings miserable songs" This guy drives me insane lol He butchers every single song and sings them all in exactly the same miserable tone. It's like if Maroon 5 sang Everybody Hurts by REM on repeat lol.

And the Sax players are all woeful except some Hungarian guy who plays late at night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

For at least five hours tonight two lads (sax and accordion) played 'When The Saints Come Marching In' over and over and over and ov....(ye get the gist) badly across from Neactains.

Blame those 2 pesky popes!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement