Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does nowhere sell long handled spades?

• 17-03-2014 9:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭

Seriously, I really dont like using short handled ones and was in 3 different DIY stores and a garden center yesterday and not one had a proper :) spade. What gives, are they just that unpopular? Am I an old school freak that hasnt seen the light of the wonderfull twistyness of D handled legomen sized spades?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Must just be sold out, bought one 2 weeks ago in the local CO-OP shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭barry75

http://www.hls.ie/products-page/shovels-rakes/darby-digging-spade/
    I have one like in link ,bought it in Connaught Gold .If you have a look in your local Co Op I am sure they will stock them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

yep, i think Whites by balbriggan stocks them true temper ones also but Arro, Homebase, Woodies and Blacks Garden center all had none!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

yep, i think Whites by balbriggan stocks them true temper ones also but Arro, Homebase, Woodies and Blacks Garden center all had none!!

B&Q?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chessman

Seriously, I really dont like using short handled ones and was in 3 different DIY stores and a garden center yesterday and not one had a proper :) spade. What gives, are they just that unpopular? Am I an old school freak that hasnt seen the light of the wonderfull twistyness of D handled legomen sized spades?

try chadwicks or any builders providers,they should have them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

B&Q?

Didnt make it down to B&Q, will try midweek but methinks ye are all just assuming, as I did, that everywhere sold these...Its all LIES goddammit, lulling us all into a false sense of spade choice freedom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

They tend to be much rarer than the short handled types and you'd do better looking in a farmers' co-op than in a garden centre.
    The long handle gives much better leverage and though the tool itself is heavier it'll save you elbow-grease in the long run.
    Apparently those stirrup-handled short spades, forks, etc. came to prominence in the coal fields of England. Until then the long handle was the norm but compact versions were required for the coal mines. These would be taken home at the end of the shift and were used in the garden on the weekend.
    I did a lot of searching over the last few years to get a long handled stainless steel fork and a long handled stainless steel flat-edge spade. I eventually just bought the shorter versions and put a long handle on them. Worth the effort!

Advertisement