Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel NUC as a HTPC and XBMC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

They are not a bad little unit , though the celeron version is going to be seriously underpowered.
    The Intel HD graphics are adequate for a HTPC .

The big issue though , is the noise , these things whine like crazy when you stress them , and that's seriously annoying for a HTPC.

The notebook type cooler also gets clogged up with dust pretty quickly , so you will need to be taking it apart on a regular basis for a clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Have an i3 NUC running XBMC (OpenELEC). Running fine. Note that they come without hard drive either - but you can run OpenELEC from a USB stick if you wish. Noise? Don't think I've ever heard the fan in mine! Celeron should be fine for XBMC.

edit: Note the i3 version above doesn't have an Ethernet port so you'll either have to use a USB ethernet adapter, or wi fi (depends on your setup really). That version doesn't seem to have sold particularly well and looks like it's being cleared out now. I have the other version - with ethernet and 2 HDMIs. Bizarrely, the non-ethernet version was more expensive originally!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 its fukt

Have an i3 NUC running XBMC (OpenELEC). Running fine. Note that they come without hard drive either - but you can run OpenELEC from a USB stick if you wish. Noise? Don't think I've ever heard the fan in mine! Celeron should be fine for XBMC.

edit: Note the i3 version above doesn't have an Ethernet port so you'll either have to use a USB ethernet adapter, or wi fi (depends on your setup really). That version doesn't seem to have sold particularly well and looks like it's being cleared out now. I have the other version - with ethernet and 2 HDMIs. Bizarrely, the non-ethernet version was more expensive originally!

Devices with Ethernet ports are exempt from import tax, in fact satellite boxes started getting ethernet ports which were unusable and marked as for future services just for this reason.

I'm interested in these, Do any of these models come with SPDIF as I need it for my surround system? Would it be possible to add a cheap soundcard? What slots has it got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Devices with Ethernet ports are exempt from import tax, in fact satellite boxes started getting ethernet ports which were unusable and marked as for future services just for this reason.

About a billion sarcastic replies to this are running through my head , but Im resisting .....

Thats not true at all .... tax does not depend on the existence of an ethernet port for anything , and those ports were for future use , in fact all boxes are using them now and have been for quite a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 its fukt

andy1249 wrote: »
    About a billion sarcastic replies to this are running through my head , but Im resisting .....

Thats not true at all .... tax does not depend on the existence of an ethernet port for anything , and those ports were for future use , in fact all boxes are using them now and have been for quite a while.

I'm afraid you are the one making the mistake, If you do a search here you will find it was pretty common about 4-5 years ago for sat boxes to have ethernet to avoid being classed as a luxury item. All have ethernet now, but back then it wasn't common on standard FTA boxes. From memory Triax released some like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Better price for the Celeron version here ;

http://www.tranquilpcshop.co.uk/intel-nuc-systems/

From a quick look at the i3 version linked above, I think that model is also missing built-in bluetooth, WiFi card, Infra red receiver and USB 3.0 (although it does have thunderbolt if that's important for you!), all which are included in the base Celeron and newer Haswell models.

I just purchased the DN2820FYKH . Went with the fully configured option..if you have spare memory/disk hanging around then the barebones option is fine, but for the extra amount I doubt I'd get an official version of Win7 Pro, RAM and 500Gb disk any cheaper separately.

Installed XBMC, and it is smooth! Previously I have tried all sorts of devices - android sticks, AppleTVs, Rokus, WDTVs, etc, but think I have finally hit the sweet spot...can't beat having a full version of Windows under the hood as a media server. Having said all that, if you wanted to play games, run programs in the background,etc, then it might be worth stretching for the i3/i5 versions but thats a lot more expensive when fully kitted out..

Advertisement