Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swish things you have in your house

Options
  • 17-03-2014 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

What do you have in your house, design or gadget that make your life a little easier and enjoyable and that if you moved on, you would ensure you would get another?

Mine would be underfloor heating in the bathroom and my KitchenAid.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

A roof to keep me dry.
    Roofs are very underrated

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

A freezer. I didn't have one for years- now I have a deep freeze under the stairs with all sorts of wonderful frozen food in it. I will definitely have a freezer in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

A cuckoo clock a half a toblerone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

A cleaner in every second week. Best money we could have spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I dont know how swish it would be considered but I dont think I could live without my slow cooker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The_Mask

OldBean wrote: »
    A cleaner in every second week. Best regards money we could have spent.

Save yourself money and do it yourself!
    Don't say it is not possible to find the time....even if you were to do a quick 5 minute clean up a day over two weeks it can be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The_Mask

I have a swish penknife I use for diy around the house

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Toastie maker, its just better in triangles
    dishwasher is a good place to hide the mess at the sink

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I spent years without a dishwasher. Much of my life was wasted washing dishes, so I vote dishwasher :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

There are no door saddles in our house. That makes me happy.
    We have a solid fuel stove they heats all rads, couple that with a husband that is obsessed with chopping fire wood and we have minimum oil bills.

I love my house :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

The_Mask wrote: »
    Save yourself money and do it yourself!
    Don't say it is not possible to find the time....even if you were to do a quick 5 minute clean up a day over two weeks it can be done!

It's not just finding time, it's coming home to a spotless house, it's being able to spend the time doing something more enjoyable or productive. It's amazing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Giblet wrote: »
    I spent years without a dishwasher. Much of my life was wasted washing dishes, so I vote dishwasher :P

I got rid of mine- I actually find it therapeutic to spend a few minutes washing dishes. I'm still wondering how I ever lived without a freezer though......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Lisha wrote: »
    There are no door saddles in our house. That makes me happy.
    We have a solid fuel stove they heats all rads, couple that with a husband that is obsessed with chopping fire wood and we have minimum oil bills.

I love my house :)

Forget all the modern appliances in my house, a real fire is the one thing I really miss. Eventually when I get my own place that's the one thing I'd have to insist on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

I vote my dishwasher and my tumble dryer
    Neither are swish and both guzzle electricity but they are my luxuries. There is nothing nicer to me than snuggling on the couch with a blanket straight from the dryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Aswe live in an area with poor mobile reception eircom broadband wifi is the one bill I would fight to be able to pay.
    I could not imagine living without wifi now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Rachineire wrote: »
    I vote my dishwasher and my tumble dryer
    Neither are swish and both guzzle electricity but they are my luxuries. There is nothing nicer to me than snuggling on the couch with a blanket straight from the dryer.

The dryer does but if you've a modern dishwasher it'll be using less water and energy than hand washing.

If it's old, maybe not.

We've a heatpump dryer. Bit pricy but the energy bills dropped big time.

The one thing I wouldn't switch back from is the induction hob. It's just so fast (pan hot in 15 seconds.. Pot of water boils faster than the electric kettle) and it's more controllable than gas.

Nothing burns into the surface of the hob either so you can just wipe it with a bit of Cif. Where as normal ceramic hobs get burnt stuff stuck to them.

Downside is you need stainless steel or cast iron pots and pans. But, really worth it if you're into cooking!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭kefir32

an integrated water purifier and alkaliser of the rolls royce type....... expensive but oh so worth it and no dragging 6 packs of evian every few days from the shop.
    such a difference in the cooking, coffee etc and no residue in the kettle.:P

It's not just finding time, it's coming home to a spotless house, it's being able to spend the time doing something more enjoyable or productive. It's amazing.

Agree with this. If I had the money I would have no issues with hiring a cleaner; its money well spent for time that I could be putting to 101 better uses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Basketball net out the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

A cleaner in every second week. Best money we could have spent.

This +100!

Life (well mine anyway) is just too short to spend my days off scrubbing the bathroom. And oh yes, the luxury of coming hope to the WHOLE house spanking clean, not just the room you managed to barely get done that day....

Plus, a stove. I've always had an open fire, wouldn't do without it - but it took minding and feeding and oh my goodness it ate briquettes :eek: The stove is the best of all worlds - ten times easier to light, and you can walk away and come back five hours later and it's still lighting. And when it's up to speed, one (ONE!) briquette burns for an hour or more! And the bloody heat out of it is only miraculous. Just a shame it's not connected to a boiler for the rads.... that'll be for the next house :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

A bean to cup coffee machine. I read in a house magazine that one house owner brought one and said it was the most used appliance in her house. When I brought it was over €1,100 about 8 years ago. But its made nearly 12,000 coffees without any issues at all.

Honestly its my favorite thing in my house

• Registered Users Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

hfallada wrote: »
    A bean to cup coffee machine. I read in a house magazine that one house owner brought one and said it was the most used appliance in her house. When I brought it was over €1,100 about 8 years ago. But its made nearly 12,000 coffees without any issues at all.

Honestly its my favorite thing in my house

:eek::eek::eek:

I hear ya, I'm a huge coffee fan, but Oh My Gawd!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

kefir32 wrote: »
    an integrated water purifier and alkaliser of the rolls royce type....... expensive but oh so worth it and no dragging 6 packs of evian every few days from the shop.
    such a difference in the cooking, coffee etc and no residue in the kettle.:P

Hi Kefir - where did you get this done and do you have an approximate cost? At the moment am using the Brita filters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Air filtration system is fantastic. It takes the warm air from the bathrooms, kitchen and utility room, filters it and sends it to the other rooms. Plus it also has a filter to extract pollen from the air. I switched off the heating in the top 2 floors a few weeks ago and the rooms maintain a temp of around 20.

jester77 wrote: »
    Air filtration system is fantastic. It takes the warm air from the bathrooms, kitchen and utility room, filters it and sends it to the other rooms. Plus it also has a filter to extract pollen from the air. I switched off the heating in the top 2 floors a few weeks ago and the rooms maintain a temp of around 20.

You sure that doesn't use a heat exchanger to capture the heat from the bathroom etc and heat fresh air going to the other rooms rather than a filtering the air from e toilet?! Removing bathroom odours from air by filtration is no easy task!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭kefir32

Hi Kefir - where did you get this done and do you have an approximate cost? At the moment am using the Brita filters.

Hey, it wasn't cheap, did my research and went with american system, kinetico- FDA approved. I have to say the quality is fantastic and it will pay for itself in the long run.
    will pm you the details of the rep i dealt with in the west of ireland and he will advise you who to deal with wherever you are based.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

A broken washing machine for the past month. Have to buy a new one soon. Disastrous when you have 5 people including 3 young kids to wash for. Then on the recommendation of a friend I found a launderette close by that washes, dries and folds all our clothing once a week for €20!!!!!!!! So I'm not too pushed about getting a new machine!

The big HD 3D telly & Sky.

How did we ever survive with those little flickery tube things in the old days?!

Also Sky+ or its UPC equivalent...

Fibre broadband!
    I actually wouldn't move to an area that didn't have it. No way I could go back to ADSL!

• Advertisement

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Fibre broadband!
    I actually wouldn't move to an area that didn't have it. No way I could go back to ADSL!

Amen to that. Was using the internet over at my parents house recently and I had forgotten how painful 4mb (or whatever nonsense Eircom are providing) is to use, especially when the lines are so old that they are only getting a fraction of that speed...

Advertisement