Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swish things you have in your house

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Wi-Fi in the bathroom.....seriously under rated ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

My new bedroom blind and curtains (on a pole- had runner track before) - they look amazing and put me in a good mood even looking at them.
    The "bounce" that you get walking on new carpet.
    Dyson Ball vacuum, unbelievably light and space-age-y looking.

Thinking of getting a water fltration/ reverse osmosis system in, but need to find out if this would have an effect on my future water charges bill. I believe, (and I may be wrong) that after the process of reverse osmosis you are left with 15%, losing 85% of the water in the process.

I'd love a bean to coffee machine, something like this is next on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭kefir32

zef wrote: »
    My new bedroom blind and curtains (on a pole- had runner track before) - they look amazing and put me in a good mood even looking at them.
    The "bounce" that you get walking on new carpet.
    Dyson Ball vacuum, unbelievably light and space-age-y looking.

Thinking of getting a water fltration/ reverse osmosis system in, but need to find out if this would have an effect on my future water charges bill. I believe, (and I may be wrong) that after the process of reverse osmosis you are left with 15%, losing 85% of the water in the process.

I'd love a bean to coffee machine, something like this is next on the list.

AFAIK I don't think there is as much of a loss of water as you purport , I know with mine there isn't just can't recall the exact figure. Haven't looked back since the RO/Alkalising system, and Im drinking my 2L a day to get my monies worth:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:

I hear ya, I'm a huge coffee fan, but Oh My Gawd!!!

I know it was the GDP of a small african nation. But they were only just released. Now you can pick up a decent one for just under €300 on amazon uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Irobot roomba, best gadget ever schedule it to come on during the day and hoovered apartment when I get.home :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Kenwood mixer. It was a wedding pressie years ago, finally have space in the kitchen for it to live on the counter. Love it. It mixes dough for our bread, slices veg, makes pasta, makes sausages, makes ice cream. Best yoke ever.

+1 on cleaner. When everyone works full time, and commutes, and you have kids, someone who can come in while you are out at work and do all the cleaning and ironing is very handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I LOVE my slow cooker. Got one as a wedding present and haven't looked back!

Finally got around to getting a tumble drier. I don't know how I coped without one before, but it's like my right arm now, especially with this damp weather. Get a good energy efficient one, and it shouldn't cost too much to run.

I'd love a Kitchen Aid too, but no space for one.

Finally - I'm a convert to open fires. I couldn't live without one now!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Cleaner is probably the main one. I don't have a long commute or kids, but it's so worth it! I figure I work so I can afford to outsource that kind of manual labour. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

An en-suite bathroom each for me and my flat-mate.

Dunno how I'll manage going back to a shared bathroom when we move :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

My completely impractical American fridge freezer considering there's only two of us in the house. The freezer part is tiny though given the size but I love having cold filtered water and an endless supply of ice cubes.

I would love a roomba, they look the business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

My completely impractical American fridge freezer considering there's only two of us in the house. The freezer part is tiny though given the size but I love having cold filtered water and an endless supply of ice cubes.

I have a roomba. To be honest, once you get over the cool factor, it is a disappointing hooverer. It doesn't get bored of doing it, so you can set it to go around once a day, but it really doesn't like cables on the floor, and there is a fair bit of maintenance. You nearly need another hoover to hoover the roomba, during/after maintenance.

I have a dishwasher again after 5 years without one, never again(will I not have one). Another poster said they found cleaning dishes soothing? For me, making the food, and then eating the food is soothing. Being up to your elbows in rapidly cooling water is anything but(to me at least).

Internet speed that rivals, or preferably is faster than what I have in work.

A TV which somehow can talk to my 1 terabyte harddrive of media.

Love my slow cooker and my halogen oven. .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I only moved into my first home late last year so i don't have any fancy gadgets yet, but first on the list for the renovation is a thermostatic mixer shower with proper pressure so i can have a decent shower...bliss :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Electric shower. Used to have one but havent for 3 years now.
    Fiber broadband. I wont live somewhere if I cant get UPC.
    En suite is also great.

Anyone have an idea of how much it would cost to get a cleaner for a 2 bedroom apartment? I thought about it before if it was cheap enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

american fridge
    impractical but cold filtered water and ice cubes to bate the band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I got side by side AEG European style full height fridge and freezer. It makes ice and has water too but the freezer is way bigger and more practical for wide items.

The US style ones seem to have very thick walls yet the EU ones are much higher energy efficiency.. Strange!

Easier to get in door too as there two separate units.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

I have some nice fridge magnets. Does that count?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My new Kenwood Chef, resilient broadband, and can not think of anything else.
    I would never think of the fridge or freezer or tumble drier as swish.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dubbie82

I've seen a house recently and they had integrated hoover system. You can just pull out the tube from the wall and the dust gets transported into a tank in the kitchen or garage, that looked quite practical.

My parents have induction hob which is really great. It's used for ages in other contries but haven't really seen it here. It's fast, you get the pan hot within seconds and it uses less energy than a standart hob. Seems the whole induction thing is quite advanced now. Read an article about how it's used to get boiling water out of the tab, no need to boil kettle anymore and it comes with a saftey feature so you won't burn yourself by mistake. Seems pretty cool to me. No idea how much that fun costst tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

dubbie82 wrote: »
    I've seen a house recently and they had integrated hoover system. You can just pull out the tube from the wall and the dust gets transported into a tank in the kitchen or garage, that looked quite practical.

My parents have induction hob which is really great. It's used for ages in other contries but haven't really seen it here. It's fast, you get the pan hot within seconds and it uses less energy than a standart hob. Seems the whole induction thing is quite advanced now. Read an article about how it's used to get boiling water out of the tab, no need to boil kettle anymore and it comes with a saftey feature so you won't burn yourself by mistake. Seems pretty cool to me. No idea how much that fun costst tho.

The folks had one since about 1998, so it's been around in Ireland for quite a long time too. Nothing particularly new about it, other than that the price dropped quite a bit in recent years. They used to be stupidly expensive and only from Miele and De Dietrich etc.

Induction hobs are common enough these days they're becoming a lot more popular in recent years though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

On electric showers, I'm actually working on a plan/budget to take them all out of our house next year. In our last place we replaced them with a powerful central pump and a big fat hot water cylinder connected to solar panels. The pumped hot water had much better pressure and water volume than the electric showers. And you can run pumped showers at the same time as eachother... Annoyingly, you can't do that with electric showers. Figure we will need that down the line as kids grow into teenagers.

Other possible swish vanity project is an outdoor clay oven for pizzas and bread. Kinda like what this guy builds. http://www.bakehus.com :) That's my summer project for this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

A handheld vac
    A retractable outdoor clothes line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Roomba.

Saved up for it, love it, love it, love it. If I had the money Id definitely pay a cleaner to come in, Ive WAY better things to be doing than the drudge of cleaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

pwurple wrote: »
    On electric showers, I'm actually working on a plan/budget to take them all out of our house next year. In our last place we replaced them with a powerful central pump and a big fat hot water cylinder connected to solar panels. The pumped hot water had much better pressure and water volume than the electric showers. And you can run pumped showers at the same time as eachother... Annoyingly, you can't do that with electric showers. Figure we will need that down the line as kids grow into teenagers.

Other possible swish vanity project is an outdoor clay oven for pizzas and bread. Kinda like what this guy builds. http://www.bakehus.com :) That's my summer project for this year!

Yep,

I can't understand anyone who prefers an electric shower over a powerful pumped one. Stupid trickling water from the electrics... that's not a real shower :P

For me, the flavour of the month is my Sonos system. It's been gradually expanding. The latest edition being a Connect: Amp fed into in-ceiling speakers in the bathroom. Thousands upon thousands of song at your finger tips in a great sounding system.

I've also a Jacuzzi bath, although I don't use it much, every now again with my music on above my head, tis nice to relax...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ooooh, my bath. I LOVE my bath. I spent a ridiculous amount on it when I rebuilt the bathroom - it's free-standing, cast iron, and HUGE. Not used that often but I wouldn't be without it.

Stupidly, I made the decision to put in an electric shower at the same time.... it made sense to me at the time but I've regretted it ever since. The bloody whine out of it, apart from anything else. If I could go back and change one thing......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I have no swish things in my house. I used to be happy though, before I read thing thread.

*house envy*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

OldBean wrote: »
    A cleaner in every second week. Best money we could have spent.
    This is interesting. What's the cost? What size house do you have? Do you need to be there when they are working or do you just give them a key?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

1. Weber Genesis BBQ.

Cost a lot more than I was hoping to spend and getting it piped with gas from the house added greatly to the cost, but well worth it, do 90% of our cooking on it April to October and use it for roasts and Christmas dinner in winter even though we’re up to our knees in snow. Fillet steak seared at 700F, roast beef, or ribs with Kansa city rub slow cooked for 6 hours are the best, not to mention the chips!

2. Nespresso machine.

Not a huge fan of coffee but love latte, so this is the business. Minimal fuss and cleaning a bonus.

3. Vitamix machine.

For smoothies, soups, guacamole, hummus etc. Very healthy and tasty and again, minimal cleaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

This is interesting. What's the cost? What size house do you have? Do you need to be there when they are working or do you just give them a key?

The going rate where I am is 12 an hour, you could probably get someone for cheaper if you do it under the table. But that has too many risks and no liability. You don't need to be home, give the company a key, you agree how many hours per week and outline what needs to be done, e.g. windows don't need cleaning every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

jester77 wrote: »
    The going rate where I am is 12 an hour, you could probably get someone for cheaper if you do it under the table. But that has too many risks and no liability. You don't need to be home, give the company a key, you agree how many hours per week and outline what needs to be done, e.g. windows don't need cleaning every week.

And how many hours a week is typical, how big is the home, what kind of stuff do they do?

I know someone locally has one but its 20 an hour - they get them for 2 hours and the person exclusively cleans bathrooms/kitchen and floors (as in washes floors).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

jester77 wrote: »
    Got a quote from someone I saw on pigsty.ie for 100-130 for a first clean of a 3 bedroom house, half after.. Seems a bit high!

Advertisement