Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swish things you have in your house

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

And how many hours a week is typical, how big is the home, what kind of stuff do they do?

I know someone locally has one but its 20 an hour - they get them for 2 hours and the person exclusively cleans bathrooms/kitchen and floors (as in washes floors).

When you take a step back and think of what the minimum wage is, the job is, and the fact that someone is charging €20 an hour. a bit mad really.

I can understand a premium on minimum wage, given the piece meal nature of the work and the lack of some of the employment benefits that come with PAYE work.

But I'd imagine most cleaners are cash in hand with no declarations to Revenue, so no tax, PRSI, or USC

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

I have no swish things in my house. I used to be happy though, before I read thing thread.

*house envy*

sWishful thinking...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

House features-wise, it's a tie between the ensuite wetroom to the master bedroom, and the conservatory with underfloor heating which we use all year round as our lounge.

Gadget-wise, gotta be the beans-to-cup coffee machine. Too many years wasted with instant coffee, percolators and cafetieres.

Above all, period furniture in cherrywood, in the family for at least a century and a half. Inherited, and it's been following us for 15 years (France, UK, Ireland, UK again).

Not really a gadget or swish thing, but...do plants count? Because we've also got that "giant" indoor hibiscus (grown from a twig/cutting which a family friend gave us when we bought our 1st house, and now around 8 ft tall and about 5ft across) that's also been following us everywhere for 15 years. It lives in the above-mentioned conservatory and flowers nearly all year round. Wouldn't be without it, wherever we move on next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

We've a small enough 2 bed, costs 55 a fortnight for approx. 4 hours including the agency fee which covers insurance, et al.

Cleaning covers washing/hoovering all flours, scrub down kitchen/bathroom, clean the sink/fridge, dust the house, change sheets if we leave them out, tidy bits and pieces away. As I said, we have a small house, so it gets a pretty deep clean over the space of 4 hours every 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Uriel. wrote: »
    When you take a step back and think of what the minimum wage is, the job is, and the fact that someone is charging €20 an hour. a bit mad really.

I can understand a premium on minimum wage, given the piece meal nature of the work and the lack of some of the employment benefits that come with PAYE work.

But I'd imagine most cleaners are cash in hand with no declarations to Revenue, so no tax, PRSI, or USC

I believe the 20 euro (mind you this was a few years back, may be less now), was the agency fee per hour, god knows how much the person was being paid, but the 20 euro an hour covered insurance and the person was an employee of the agency, so presume PRSI etc was all ok.

Im sure you could get someone in for a lot less but you have the hassle of no insurance, no comeback further than a private individual in case of theft or damage, the fact that you are party to revenue fraud etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

UPC fibre broadband

I cannot stress this enough, after living a year in a place with only ADSL.

My house is FINNALLY running the setup I had planned for what I wanted when I moved out of the parents house years ago.

My recent move into a house has kinda being a big deal, coming from a small apartment. It's being more a realisation of things I used to take for granted in my parents home, but didnt have the last two years living by my own.

Central heating, a table to eat, proper internet.

But in terms of "swanky" stuff, have to be my media setup in the house. Can pretty much stream any content, from a central location, to any of the rooms in the house where you would want to have media.

And I can assure you all, once you have sky sports news in the bathroom to watch while on the jax or in the shower, you will never have a bathroom without a screen again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

swish stuff? ... on a practical level ... i had a fairly decent underfloor system but added 90 Solar Tubes 350l water tank with 800l buffer tank, Boiler Stove and 5 zone heatmeister control system and firebird heat exchanger. reduced my oil usage from nearly €4k last year to about €500.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Giblet wrote: »
    I spent years without a dishwasher. Much of my life was wasted washing dishes, so I vote dishwasher :P

Why do I keep thinking of marriage jokes. :D
    Mental note: must stop watching 70s humour.
    SpaceTime wrote: »
    Fibre broadband!
    I actually wouldn't move to an area that didn't have it. No way I could go back to ADSL!

Bloody showoff.
    Tigger wrote: »
    american fridge
    impractical but cold filtered water and ice cubes to bate the band

Nobody really appreciates how much time it saves on having not to walk as far as the freezer to get the ice. ;)

As for my swishist thing...maybe one of those steam powered washers.

I am not allowed discuss …

Advertisement