Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reccomend good dry food?

• 17-03-2014 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭

Hey peeps

I know I could go searching, but it's paddys day, I'm hungover and the boys are distracting me (playing and training).

We want to get Jack (14 week old Husky) off what he's on, and onto a good (maybe grain free) kibble ASAP. We intend to feed kibble in mornings and raw in evenings, just like Hugo (his half brother. who's nearly 3).

Been looking on zooplus... Lots to choose from.

What say ye?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Darthvadar

My hooligan is thriving on Royal Canin... Only poops once a day, too... Big bonus....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

I've just changed my two to Marcus Muehle and they are thriving on it. Their coats are thicker and softer, they poo less and it is really reasonably priced. You also feed them less than other dry foods. The ingredients are good quality and if you order 2 x 15kg bags on Zooplus you get a deal (and free delivery I think). Also i phoned their representative in the UK prior to switching who was really helpful about amount to feed (less than that reccommended on packaging). Her number's on the website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Darthvadar wrote: »
    My hooligan is thriving on Royal Canin... Only poops once a day, too... Big bonus....

Hugo, who's 3... Is on this. It's not 'great' for the money - but he's half raw, so it lasts a good bit. We're happy to leave him on it. As we will probably switch to full raw soon.

For the money, 60 euro ish for 15kg, we were hoping to get Jack (14 weeks) onto something a lot better (ingredients wise).

Orjien gets rave reviews... But 90 odd quid for 13.5kg is a tad pricey.

We'd like to settle somewhere in the middle. Willing to spend 60 quid for 15kg, as above...

Applaws... Looks good for the money?

Anyone on it... Or, more to the point... Have their dogs on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭smilerf

Skinners is great and good value too

• Advertisement

Hooked wrote: »
    Hugo, who's 3... Is on this. It's not 'great' for the money - but he's half raw, so it lasts a good bit. We're happy to leave him on it. As we will probably switch to full raw soon.

For the money, 60 euro ish for 15kg, we were hoping to get Jack (14 weeks) onto something a lot better (ingredients wise).

Orjien gets rave reviews... But 90 odd quid for 13.5kg is a tad pricey.

We'd like to settle somewhere in the middle. Willing to spend 60 quid for 15kg, as above...

Poultry meat meal (28%), wholegrain corn flour, brown rice meal, game tripe meal (8%), rice germ, game bone meal, corn germ, Jerusalem artichoke meal, sea fish meal (5%), linseed oil, rapeseed oil (both cold pressed), powdered eggs (2%), dry peat, powdered fruit (2% incl. carob, pineapple, papaya, banana, acerola cherry, apple, pear, blueberry, mango, raspberry), mixed dried herbs, salmon oil, algae meal, dried and ground Yucca Schidigera

These are the ingredients for Marcus Muehle. And the price is about E75 for 2 x 15kg bags of Nuh Nuh (I think - it's the green bag). It's a cold pressed food so doesn't last as long in storage. I've found it hard to find a food that suited both dogs before but they both love it and are thriving.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

For me, ingredients-wise, there are two brands that stand head and shoulders above the rest. One I've fed here, one I haven't.
    The one I've tried is Taste of the Wild, available on zooplus.co.uk. It's super. That said, I *think* they've had a couple of product recalls over the years. Then again, that was only in the US, and seems to happen with a lot of brands.
    T'other one, which I haven't tried, is Eden. Ingredients look really good. I know some on here are using it so will hopefully come along with feedback.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I was challenged on that a while back actually; at 4 EUR / kilo you have a very wide selection of good options. This is the post I made then; note it's not all inclusive as there are other brands out there but will give you a few more brands to consider.

DBB wrote: »
    For me, ingredients-wise, there are two brands that stand head and shoulders above the rest. One I've fed here, one I haven't.
    The one I've tried is Taste of the Wild, available on zooplus.co.uk. It's super. That said, I *think* they've had a couple of product recalls over the years. Then again, that was only in the US, and seems to happen with a lot of brands.
    T'other one, which I haven't tried, is Eden. Ingredients look really good. I know some on here are using it so will hopefully come along with feedback.

Oh, Eden has a Husky on the pack. That's herself sold!!!!

Seriously though... Looks great for the money. Cheers.

Nody wrote: »
    I was challenged on that a while back actually; at 4 EUR / kilo you have a very wide selection of good options. This is the post I made then; note it's not all inclusive as there are other brands out there but will give you a few more brands to consider.

Thanks Nody! Great info.

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »

This was the post that persuaded me to change to MM from Skinners!! Thanks Nody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

My huskies are now on Quest, it's made by a small firm in England, owned a couple who run boarding kennels and have huskies, have worked them for years and decided they could make a food exactly how they wanted for their dogs. Shipping costs may be an issue here, but its £26 for 15kg, so add the shipping on if you got a few bags at a time, and would be within budget. My lot are doing really well on it (they also do really well on the Royal Canin high energy food, but for non working dogs, that may have too much fat in it) and we have small poos :D Fred and Amanda Palmer are lovely, very knowledgeable and helpful.

http://www.quest-dog-foods.co.uk/apps/webstore/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

My guys do very well on James Wellbeloved and/or Burns - better than RC in my opinion and around €55 ish per 15kg bag. Both last us a good while because you don't need to food much (we were feeding 3 dogs at the time on them). We fed an older dog (when he was alive) (13/14) and my younger ones on it (at the time ) (4/5 and 5/6) together for a good while and they all did fine. JWB do a "grain free" version too. Most large pet stores or online stores stock either or both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

snoman wrote: »
    I've just changed my two to Marcus Muehle and they are thriving on it. Their coats are thicker and softer, they poo less and it is really reasonably priced. You also feed them less than other dry foods. The ingredients are good quality and if you order 2 x 15kg bags on Zooplus you get a deal (and free delivery I think). Also i phoned their representative in the UK prior to switching who was really helpful about amount to feed (less than that reccommended on packaging). Her number's on the website.

I would second Markus Muehle from Zooplus, good price too for 2x15kg bags and free delivery over 50 euro. Realised from a different post today that my older dog hasn't had any anal gland issues since switching so that's another plus.

That's interesting Snoman, that she recommended slightly less amount than the packaging, did she say why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Cooper has been on Barking Heads for a long time now. I'm really happy with it, he loves it and the packaging is cute :o

This is the one he has at the moment
    http://www.barkingheads.co.uk/products/large-breed/big-foot-tender-loving-care/

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    I would second Markus Muehle from Zooplus, good price too for 2x15kg bags and free delivery over 50 euro. Realised from a different post today that my older dog hasn't had any anal gland issues since switching so that's another plus.

That's interesting Snoman, that she recommended slightly less amount than the packaging, did she say why?

Both my dogs have joint problems so I am keen to keep them as lean as possible. Following the guidelines I would probably have fed my younger 30kg staffie maybe 300/320gms per day. At present I'm feeding him 200gms - on her recommendation..... and he is, for sure, losing weight but his condition is excellent. I may have to adjust his intake if it looks like he's losing too much, but I the adjustment will be small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Tranceypoo wrote: »

My vet recommends to reduce by 10% if dog is neutered or bitch is speyed, maybe this is the reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cowabunga

Hi folks, kinda new to boards so don't want to change too much from the topic. We recently got a new puppy. He is a Dogue De Bordeux and at 3 months old. At the moment were feeding him "Gain: Big dogs- puppy" I'm just wondering is it any good? Pet shops tend to recommend the most expensive, or what they tend to stock. And had different responses from different sources. Any help here would be great. Should I just get a trial pack of something. I want what's best for his health but is it like so many other things, are people just going to pay for a fancy brand name? Thanks v much

• Registered Users Posts: 27 dkod

I also use Markus Muhle and find it fab.. I love the big kibble as even though its only 2 yorkies I have one of them does not chew his food if kibble is s mall.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kattra

My dog is on Eden. Was previously on Orijen but a few times there were supply shortages with zooplus so i switched.
    Great food, his coat is shiny as hell, good texture and colour (black dog, when i got him from the pound his fur had a brownish tint).
    Very little and firm poo, no hassle to pick it up. Brian has a lot of energy now without being hyper.
    He`s a collie-retriever cross, ca. 28 kgs in bodyweight. 15kg Eden lasts us about 10 weeks (feeding less then recommended due to treats).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

My guy was on Burns for about 7 years... no complaints at all... he really thrived on it.

Decided to move him onto "taste of the wild" about 10 months ago and find it excellent!

Always buy it on zooplus.ie find the website great, plus he's get hunter salmon oil each day in his food...

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I feed our 2 german shepherds James Wellbeloved. I also fed my great dane James Wellbeloved.
    Lovely coats, shiny and soft hair, shiny eyes and wet noses. Great for their toilet activities.
    They have loads of energy, very happy dogs and really enjoy their food.
    I also give them the James Wellbeloved treats which they did not like at the start because i'd say they are less appealing than the ped chum etc because they're not full of junk but they love them now, it just took them a little while to get used to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Marcus Muehle, great food at a good price.

logik wrote: »
    Marcus Muehle, great food at a good price.

Was keen on Eden but heard a few too many horror stories (loose stools).

Went with MM in the end... Gonna trial Jack with it, and see how we go. Now, to place a big whopping order with dogs first and fill the freezer!

Thanks all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

snoman wrote: »
    Both my dogs have joint problems so I am keen to keep them as lean as possible. Following the guidelines I would probably have fed my younger 30kg staffie maybe 300/320gms per day. At present I'm feeding him 200gms - on her recommendation..... and he is, for sure, losing weight but his condition is excellent. I may have to adjust his intake if it looks like he's losing too much, but I the adjustment will be small.
    Millem wrote: »
    My vet recommends to reduce by 10% if dog is neutered or bitch is speyed, maybe this is the reason?

Interesting, I have a male lab/staffy mix (neutered) and female collie mix (spayed), just weighed them yesterday and they've put on a small bit since their last weigh in (last May), although they've been on MM for longer than that, so I think it's my husband giving them toast and the fact I was away for a week and they're weren't getting their usual mileage of walking per day, but I think I will cut back the measurements of food a bit and see how we go.

Ok all...

My Markus Meule arrived today.

What's the expert 'A&PI' opinion on introducing it - and over how many days?

Jack is 15 weeks...

For example:

70 old/30 new, day one
    X old/Y new, day 2...

And so on...

What split - and for how many days?

Ok all...

Jack is 15 weeks...

For example:

70 old/30 new, day one
    X old/Y new, day 2...

And so on...

I did it over a week and there was no adverse reaction. You will probably not feed as much MM as your previous food so use the MM as your guide, ie add your old feed to the nee instead of vice versa. Apparently it's quite easy to overfeed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ForEffsSake

I can definitely recommend Eden. I used to live in London and fed my Golden retriever on it. She thrived on it - lovely coat and less stinky poo (less of it too)! I moved over here recently and was delighted to learn you can get it in Ireland. Seems a bit expensive at first but I found it really economical because you use less of it and 15kg lasts longer than cheaper brands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Ok all...

Jack is 15 weeks...

For example:

70 old/30 new, day one
    X old/Y new, day 2...

And so on...

I usually introduce over a week/10 days - you don't need to be precise, just gradually reduce old and give more of new until it's all new! If you want to be precise, doing it over 10 days means you can increase/decrease in 10% intervals so it's easy to work out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement