Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for your help

Options
  • 17-03-2014 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I got advice in another forum to post my issue here and maybe somebody of you might help me.
    A lot of items were stolen from my car at Luggala Sally Gap, county Wicklow on the 13 of March (thursday). I would like to ask you If somebody will come across some of the gear listed below please contact me. Some items probably were trown away as they are useless for robbers, such as keys, bags, documents, childs toys etc. But they are very valuable to us.
    Here is the list of items been stolen:
    • 1 Lowepro backpack
    • 1 Swiss backpack
    • Mobile phone Samsung Galaxy s4
    • Mobile phone HTC Desire S
    • Memory cards (SD and CF)
    • Satnav Garmin Nuvi
    • Flash Canon 580EX2
    • Flash Yongnuo
    • Sekonic Light meter
    • Wireless triggers
    • 2 Wallets with documents belonging to Mr Rac..... and Mrs Rac..... (Lithuanian driving licences, Lithuanian ID cards, UK social insurance cards, bank cards, a lot of discount cards)
    • Lens Canon 50mm 1.4
    • Lens Canon 85mm 1.8
    • Lens Canon 100-400
    • Various batteries
    • Lens Filters
    • 2 Skoda Octavia keys
    • Silver Canon film camera
    • Films
    • Lens cleaning kits
    I would also like to ask you if somebody will see somewhere online any of items listed above for sale please do send me a link to that ad. I do have serial numbers on hand so I could compare them.
    I would really appreciate any information.

Thank you again for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Really sorry to hear about this. I'm not sure if you live in Ireland or were here visiting but just in case 2 good sites to monitor as they are free are below.

Hopefully you get some of it back.

www.adverts.ie

www.donedeal.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭arcius

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear about this. I'm not sure if you live in Ireland or were here visiting but just in case 2 good sites to monitor as they are free are below.

Hopefully you get some of it back.

www.adverts.ie

www.donedeal.ie
    some of us live in Ireland, some of us in UK and some of us in Lithuania. We do monitor websites... But I also believe some stuff will be trown away. Thank you for your message.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

This is not legal advice, but make sure to make a complaint to Gardai and see if your insurance will cover any of your losses.

This is not legal advice, but make sure to make a complaint to Gardai and see if your insurance will cover any of your losses.
    We reported to garda and insurance. Waiting for insurance company's call back...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Without trying to come across as heartless it is hauls like these that keep the thieves going up there, do not leave any valuables in your car, ever!

I hope you manage to find at the very least some of your stuff, especially the sentimental things that can't be replaced. I will keep an eye out when I drive through the area during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Just curious is there any signs up the sally gap saying people shouldn't leave items in the car??
    I know there was a sign made a few years ago by the Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

This is so depressing. Unfortunately scumbags know a lot of the cars up there will be unattended for hours and are easy pickings.

I'll keep an eye out for any of those items discarded around the place. Hope you get some stuff back.

Boaty wrote: »
    Just curious is there any signs up the sally gap saying people shouldn't leave items in the car??
    I know there was a sign made a few years ago by the Gardai
    There are no sign at all. I am thinking to made some and place somewhere there. I would never leave anything in the car if I saw the sign. I also should mention everything was left in the boot and you couldn't see anything from outside.

CardinalJ wrote: »
    This is so depressing. Unfortunately scumbags know a lot of the cars up there will be unattended for hours and are easy pickings.

I'll keep an eye out for any of those items discarded around the place. Hope you get some stuff back.
    this is the point - we spent maximum 10 minutes and we were around 50 meters away. But there is a small hill so we couldn't see our car.

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Without trying to come across as heartless it is hauls like these that keep the thieves going up there, do not leave any valuables in your car, ever!
    Well now we learned the lesson...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

Just out of interest were you stopping and taking photos in various locations? If so do you recall any suspicious vehicles close by when you had stopped in other locations

I wondor if someone had noticed what you were doing and knew you had photo gear in the boot.

I do really hope you recover the sentimental stuff and the thieves get caught but it is sadly unlikely.

As well as looking at the online sales sites you may want to drop a list of the more valuable stuff, with serials, into the camera shops in Dublin that buy second hand. You never know they may be stupid enough to sell it on in this way.

Just as a bit of advice, which is not meant to sound judgemental; work out what gear you need for the day and locations you will be in and carry it all with you. I can guess the location you were in and I would certainly leave nothing in the car in that spot but there again I leave nothing in the car anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

arcius wrote: »
    this is the point - we spent maximum 10 minutes and we were around 50 meters away. But there is a small hill so we couldn't see our car.

That was bad luck so. You'd think you'd be safe enough if you were that close by and just got out to have a look etc. I dare say the thieves were parked there already when you arrived - I presume this was likely at the carpark overlooking Lough Tay as there's a small hillock far side of the road.

Ongoing problem this, should these carparks be CCTV monitored etc? We rarely hear of Garda successes in catching people.

BarryD wrote: »
    That was bad luck so. You'd think you'd be safe enough if you were that close by and just got out to have a look etc. I dare say the thieves were parked there already when you arrived - I presume this was likely at the carpark overlooking Lough Tay as there's a small hillock far side of the road.

Ongoing problem this, should these carparks be CCTV monitored etc? We rarely hear of Garda successes in catching people.
    It was a small truck parked strangely... Parallel to the road... Now I think it was parked to quickly leave the place... Anyway... Garda took a car camera's memory card so they will see who was parked, the reg, probably faces inside that truck and another car... If they bother of course...
    It was exactly that place... to put cameras in there might be too expensive, but there are no signs warning people. I am talking about signs similar they do on the roads e.g. 12 people were killed this year on this road... People would pay attention if it was that kind of sign in that car park.. but now it is too late to speculate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Hmm.. they probably saw you arrive then and observed that there was stuff worth robbing when you were sorting yourselves out, getting things out of boot etc. Still, they had a neck, as this carpark is usually pretty busy, even weekdays with people coming and going. Bad business to be having to look about you at places like this and the need to be suspicious of everyone..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There actually are signs at some of the more popular car parks where people leave their cars for longer periods such as the one at the Glenmacnass waterfall, or at the one only a few hundred meters south of where you were.

That's really just a place where tourists in cars or bus groups pull in briefly to take pictures of Lough Tay, so probably think "I'll only be away a few minutes so no need to take valuables out of the car" and I'm guessing the thieves knew this. Like you say, up at the point where you take the photos you're just out of sight, and they only need 5 minutes. But like BarryD said, you were pretty unlucky that there wasn't anybody else there, as it's a pretty busy spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

I found a purse/wallet in the ditch near Knockree a year or two ago. It was bone dry so I knew it hadn't been there long. I traced the owner (Limerick) and she told me it was robbed from the car near Johnny Foxes when they got out to take a photo. They had been no more than 20 metres from the car when it was taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Contact Bray Garda Station and see of they will put you in touch with the Crime Prevention Officer and see if he can do anything about signs being made.

Advertisement