Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Patricks Day Parade in Drogheda

Options
  • 17-03-2014 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

After 3 years living in this country I thought I ought to go and see the parade. So I headed out to Drogheda where I had seen several flyers about the parade, in what I believe is maybe Irelands biggest town.

I could not believe my eyes. 2 trucks and a tractor. What?????

The town was full of people, streets were packed and I was getting excited as I headed for the middle. What on earth is that parade meant to be? It was a disgrace, nothing at all to see. A truck with a dance group was the only effort made. Following that was a white van towing a kids bouncy castle simply advertising his business. Then there was a solitary tractor from 1980 with the driver wearing a green hat and a couple of Irish tricolours tied to it. An ambulance and a police car behind and that was your lot. On the way home I passed a FLogas truck which was carrying bottles of gas in the back, it had a load of balloons tied to it.

I honestly have never seen anything so underwhelming in my life. Is it always that bad, or did 99% of the other participants have a breakdown at the last minute and not show up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You should have gone to Dundalk. A great parade with plenty of activity and events in the town as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Im just watching the video of Dundalk this year on youtube, loads of stuff happening. Ive also watched the last few years at Drogheda on youtube and there is stuff happening there, so Im starting to think I must've missed it or something because it doesn't make sense there was no music, no bands, no kids, nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

After 3 years living in this country I thought I ought to go and see the parade. So I headed out to Drogheda where I had seen several flyers about the parade, in what I believe is maybe Irelands biggest town.

I could not believe my eyes. 2 trucks and a tractor. What?????

The town was full of people, streets were packed and I was getting excited as I headed for the middle. What on earth is that parade meant to be? It was a disgrace, nothing at all to see. A truck with a dance group was the only effort made. Following that was a white van towing a kids bouncy castle simply advertising his business. Then there was a solitary tractor from 1980 with the driver wearing a green hat and a couple of Irish tricolours tied to it. An ambulance and a police car behind and that was your lot. On the way home I passed a FLogas truck which was carrying bottles of gas in the back, it had a load of balloons tied to it.

I honestly have never seen anything so underwhelming in my life. Is it always that bad, or did 99% of the other participants have a breakdown at the last minute and not show up?

Are you sure you actually saw the parade? Because the one I saw in Drogheda lasted more than 40mins, it had scouts, guides, 2 brass bands, 4 different other marching bands from other towns, loads of different local groups: drama, dancing, special Olympics, rugby, gaa, tennis, various commercial companies, the horses from Scholars Townhouse hotel, different groups dressed up; lego people, alice in wonderland, peter pan, and a good bit more. The parade does not go over west street so if you were standing there (center of town) you missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Siobh73

I would say you missed it. Parade was bigger and longer than ever this year. Great Daffodil Day display.

OMG I just watched a video of it on youtube! HAHAHA my humblest apologies I did totally miss it. I arrived at 12:45 and I must've just caught a couple of trucks that were going around for the second time. You can imagine my shock seeing all the people turn out for 5 vehicles!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What were you drinking OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I see Dundalk made the RTE news. Wouldn't have killed them to film in Drogheda when they were in the area - unless both parades were on at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I see Dundalk made the RTE news. Wouldn't have killed them to film in Drogheda when they were in the area - unless both parades were on at the same time.

I agree with you there, wouldnt have been a huge problem to capture some of Droghedas parade, which in my opinion was one of the better ones in recent years.
    Even in the era of modern technology, RTE could have been supplied with some footage to show.I am sure plenty of footage was captured.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mornington man

Actually RTE did show some of the Drogheda Parade on the 6.01 News, but it was under a heading for Balbriggan. I am certain that I recognised a number of Drogheda landmarks in the Georges St./ Fair St. area.:confused::confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Dundalk or Drogheda? Dundalk was obvs gonna win that one :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

RTE definitely had a camera in Drogheda, on Fair Street, although I didn't see any highlights so don't know if it made the news or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

For anyone that missed it :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB26K8QI6Fc

Mr. Muddle wrote: »

Yes, not the same as my experience at all!

Advertisement