Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Got 12 months leave from work to travel!

• 17-03-2014 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi All,

So I got granted 12 months leave from work to travel. Now the question is where do i begin? I would love to go with friends but timing is never right so I am going to head by myself. Scary I know but I want adventure & I am in dire need to change.

Where do people propose to begin, who are the best in the business to plan the flights with etc.

Anyone with advice or tips are most welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

aca2801 wrote: »
    Hi All,

So I got granted 12 months leave from work to travel. Now the question is where do i begin? I would love to go with friends but timing is never right so I am going to head by myself. Scary I know but I want adventure & I am in dire need to change.

Where do people propose to begin, who are the best in the business to plan the flights with etc.

Anyone with advice or tips are most welcome.

Thanks

Congrats on getting the leave. Theres a couple of questions you need to answer for more detailed help.

- You have obviously thought of travelling, why do you want to travel? Is there anything particular you want to do or see?
    - Do you want to see as much as possible in the time frame or would you prefer to spend more time in each country?

You could get a round the world ticket which would give you stops in, generally, South East Asia, Oz and possibly South America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Soooo jealous...you lucky thing !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

well jealous. you might find it a but scary or lonely at 1st travelling on your own. but its the best thing in a way. you get to see and do what you want when you want. get to usit and check out the round the world ticket options, id even love to get three months leave

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭aca2801

Thanks.

Yes I want to see South America, Asia & Oz. I think I probaly start by Asia, onto Oz.

Work have also given me the option of secondment during or afterwards if I prefer and I was thinking of maybe Cayman, Bermuda or Dubai because of low income tax.

Yeah it will be scary but exactly I am go and see what I want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

sorry OP l have no advice to give but l would LOVE to do this one day...perferbly not on my own but none of my friends are into travel. Just wondering how much money would you have to save up for a trip like this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭username2013

aca2801 wrote: »
    Thanks.

Yes I want to see South America, Asia & Oz. I think I probaly start by Asia, onto Oz.

Work have also given me the option of secondment during or afterwards if I prefer and I was thinking of maybe Cayman, Bermuda or Dubai because of low income tax.

Yeah it will be scary but exactly I am go and see what I want.

Great position to be in. I travelled through Asia and then onto OZ back in 2007. Asia was great, OZ for me was a little bit of a disappointment, I think maybe after hearing how great it was from loads of friends I had it built up a little too much and it didn't live up to those expectations. Perth and Sydney especially were full of Irish and that wasn't what I went traveling for really.

I think if I was going again, I would do things differently. I think maybe I would go to somewhere like Bueno Aires, try and get a job in a hostel or an bar (irish bar might be your best bet) or something and attempt to pick up the language. You would obviously need to learn some Spanish before ya go, but there are plenty of places you can do that, can even do online programs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

^^

did you go on your own username2013?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭username2013

^^

did you go on your own username2013?

No, went with a mate. But after that I traveled to Canada on my own without knowing anyone. That was in 2009 and I am still here! So I really wouldn't worry about traveling on your own, if you have a good personality and are outgoing you will have no problem meeting people. I could understand how some girls might be nervous about traveling on their own to certain places, from what I am led to believe south america can be a bit dodgy in places but Asia is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

12 months leave sounds like the perfect way to travel-you'll really appreciate not being in work and you'll have the security of a job at the end.

My sister went on her own and had the best time. I would recommend New Zealand and Nepal as top places to visit from my own experience. 12 months is lots of time but don't try and fit too much in as living out of a backpack, moving constantly can bit old after about 3months (in my experience).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Challo

I travelled on my own for a year too. Got to choose exactly what I did every day!
    South East Asia might be a good place to start if you haven't been away before. Then you could go onto Oz/NZ although they are expensive. South America for a couple of months. I was in India a few times too, it's my my favourite country but perhaps as first stop, it would be too much.

This is a fantastic opportunity OP, delighted for you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement