Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light fittings from America

Options
  • 17-03-2014 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, Is it possible to get lights from America, change the wiring and the bulb connection to use them here in Ireland? I don't wand to install a transformer, so I'm wondering if it is al all possible? Would the Irish bulb fitting even fit into an American fixture?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

If they did not have a transformwe and were jsut mains fittings just getting 240V bulbs here would work however if the fitting was metal it would need to be earthed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bob90909

dingding wrote: »
    If they did not have a transform and were just mains fittings just getting 240V bulbs here would work however if the fitting was metal it would need to be earthed.

This is an older thread but I've a very similar question. Did you go ahead with this and how did it work out?
    US mains voltage is 110-120v @60Hz Irish is 230v @ 50Hz . If the light fitting is designed to be wired straight into the US mains with no transformer but does have a built in PIR sensor could that US light fitting work on an Irish house?

* Would they require some form of step down transformer to run 2 60w output lights?
    * If additional components are required , where is a good place to source them?

Advertisement