Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

childminding/au pair

Options
  • 17-03-2014 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi guys ,
    I'm currently a leaving cert student.I have been asked to do childminding for an aunty and uncle this summer once my exams are over and I'm just wondering what the 'going rate' would be for someone in my position as i'm not too sure what to expect.

Here's my situation, The child is 10 months and her parents work odd shift work , sometimes including nights .
    The most amount of days I would be needed is 4 days in a row . It could work out that I will only have to work 1 day a week because of the way their roster is done out , but they have agreed that I would be payed for the 4 pays anyway.
    There is also a possibility that I might have to do the odd 24 hr shift but this may only happen 3/4 times the whole summer . I may have to live in their house some days if night are involved or early starts.
    I'm doing it from their home.
    Their days are usually 8-12 hours but nothing more than that .Its in the swords, Dublin region

I'm not too sure how much they will pay so im just looking for a few pointers.
    Any info will be greatly appreciated !
    Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

This is the relevant bit. Legally you will be a domestic worker, and not able to avail of the exemptions for childminders who work in their own homes.

Therefore you should be paid at least minimum wage.

How many years have you been in paid work (any number of hours per week) since you turned 18?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hi guys ,
    I'm currently a leaving cert student.I have been asked to do childminding for an aunty and uncle this summer once my exams are over and I'm just wondering what the 'going rate' would be for someone in my position as i'm not too sure what to expect.

Here's my situation, The child is 10 months and her parents work odd shift work , sometimes including nights .
    The most amount of days I would be needed is 4 days in a row . It could work out that I will only have to work 1 day a week because of the way their roster is done out , but they have agreed that I would be payed for the 4 pays anyway.
    There is also a possibility that I might have to do the odd 24 hr shift but this may only happen 3/4 times the whole summer . I may have to live in their house some days if night are involved or early starts.
    Their days are usually 8-12 hours but nothing more than that .Its in the swords, Dublin region

I'm not too sure how much they will pay so im just looking for a few pointers.
    Any info will be greatly appreciated !
    Thank you!

This is the legal answer!
    If it is in their home they should pay you the minimum wage. I also think they need to pay Prsi http://www.moneyguideireland.com/category/minimum-wage they register as employers and you will pay the relevant deductions (paye etc).
    If it is in your home you are self employed (they don't have to pay Prsi) and the going rate is around €5 per hour. I think you fill out at tax return at the end of October and pay the relevant tax then (if applicable) in a lump sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 naomicaul12

I've never worked before so I've not got much experience with minding children but i've babysat a lot for this particular child and others . I know its the law but I honestly doubt that they will register for insurance or PRSI for the summer . as I said its for a family member and I'm just looking for ideas on what kind of money they will offer me . ive been doing a bit on research and people are quoting anything from 25-70 euro p/d . would I be wrong thinking that 50 P/d is unreasonable ? for somewhere between a 9-12 hour shift not exactly sure of the ins and outs yet.

I've never worked before so I've not got much experience with minding children but i've babysat a lot for this particular child and others . I know its the law but I honestly doubt that they will register for insurance or PRSI for the summer . as I said its for a family member and I'm just looking for ideas on what kind of money they will offer me . ive been doing a bit on research and people are quoting anything from 25-70 euro p/d . would I be wrong thinking that 50 P/d is unreasonable ? for somewhere between a 9-12 hour shift not exactly sure of the ins and outs yet.

If it's full time I think the going rate is €40 per day (8 hour day) €200 per week (based on 5 day). It may not seem much to you but childminders would usually mind more than one child . If part time you would get more per hour I think it's around €7 per hour. I know what your saying about Prsi etc but I think we have to tell you the legal option! Would you not just charge them per hour, like babysitting?

Millem wrote: »
    If it's full time I think the going rate is €40 per day (8 hour day) €200 per week (based on 5 day). It may not seem much to you but childminders would usually mind more than one child . If part time you would get more per hour I think it's around €7 per hour. I know what your saying about Prsi etc but I think we have to tell you the legal option! Would you not just charge them per hour, like babysitting?

Oh no I definitely appreciate hearing all angles of the situation! See ill hear from them, in the next few weeks with what is to be expected over the few months and how much they are willing to pay , I just dont know if I should accept less because Im a family member or because they are willing to pay me when I only work 1 day a week (which wont happen very often at all) . I just want to have an idea so I know if im getting an ok offer when they do give me a price.

• Advertisement

Oh no I definitely appreciate hearing all angles of the situation! See ill hear from them, in the next few weeks with what is to be expected over the few months and how much they are willing to pay , I just dont know if I should accept less because Im a family member or because they are willing to pay me when I only work 1 day a week (which wont happen very often at all) . I just want to have an idea so I know if im getting an ok offer when they do give me a price.

I know what your saying! Would it be Hard for you to get a full time job for the summer nowadays? If so then I would be delighted with your aunts offer and say €5 per hour for more than one day and €7 if you are only working one day. On the plus side you won't have any outgoings e.g. Lunch money etc do they live within walking distance?

ill be working 4 days a week and yes! pretty difficult to get a job anywhere in my area these days and not getting better as both my dad and sister are out out work recently, thats why im strongly thinking of taking up this position for the summer until i start college at the start of october. My mam works as an SNA so is off for the summer and has agreed to give lifts when needed or I can stay in their house if its a particularly early start or late finish . Theres also a bus that takes probably about 30 mins so either way its not too bad

ill be working 4 days a week and yes! pretty difficult to get a job anywhere in my area these days and not getting better as both my dad and sister are out out work recently, thats why im strongly thinking of taking up this position for the summer until i start college at the start of october. My mam works as an SNA so is off for the summer and has agreed to give lifts when needed or I can stay in their house if its a particularly early start or late finish . Theres also a bus that takes probably about 30 mins so either way its not too bad

I was thinking your transport costs though could nearly €5 return per day? So maybe you could add this onto the price for your aunt? If you think you won't get anything else then go for it! Sure maybe your aunt may need you when you are in college for babysitting at weekend?

I think I will just go for it , there's no point in passing up the offer in case something else doesn't come up. Yes if I was to get the bus it would be roughly €5/6 euro return per day but may not need to as Ill have lifts in most cases or might not be going home at night or having to make my way there in the morning if I'm staying the night so travel p/week will be minimal . Thanks for all your advice! :)

I think I will just go for it , there's no point in passing up the offer in case something else doesn't come up. Yes if I was to get the bus it would be roughly €5/6 euro return per day but may not need to as Ill have lifts in most cases or might not be going home at night or having to make my way there in the morning if I'm staying the night so travel p/week will be minimal . Thanks for all your advice! :)

No prob! Just bear on mind even though you get a lift your mum still has to pay for petrol!

• Advertisement
Advertisement