If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re. Aux Sound on Pioneer BCS FS500

Options
  • 17-03-2014 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭

Gents,

Howdy firstly and hope y'all are ok on this St. Patrick's Weekend?

Yesterday I said goodbye to my Philips 42PFL 8404 which I bought from your good selves in your Philips Store guise a few years back. I was reluctant to let her go but at least I get to watch a decent tv now when I visit the mother in-law in your neck of the woods.

I replaced it with a Samsung Smart TV which admittedly I didn't buy from yourselves (but that's another story) but I'm hoping ye can help with a slight problem I've encountered in the set up.

The Philips was paired with a Pioneer BCS FS500 which was great for amplifying the tv's sound through the Aux input on it. However, since I set up the Samsung, the BR plays fine through the speakers but when I switch to Aux input when watching tv there's no sound through the Pioneer speakers. I've tried unplugging everything and starting again to no avail, I've tried a different HDMI cable, I've unplugged and reconnected "regular" audio cables and I've even tried a toslink but no luck. Any ideas?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Butter, how's tricks ???

Looks like we'll have to remove you from the top 20 best customers list then ?? Samsung TV from someone else, I hope it was an insurance job.:rolleyes:

The likelihood is that the Samsung will only output optical sound as the new models, unless they palmed you off with an oldie, do not have an aux audio output. The sound connections on the new ones are inputs, not outputs.

So simply put, you will only need the optical cable connection from the TV to the bar and the optical input on the bar will need to be selected.

The optical output is normally on by default on the TV but you may have to go into the menu and enable it if it's been turned off. Simple test - Plus the optical cable into the end of the TV and look at the other end. Is there a red light coming up the middle of the cable ? If there is, then it's on.

I hope that helps but keep me posted !

ATB

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Looks like we'll have to remove you from the top 20 best customers list then ?? Samsung TV from someone else, I hope it was an insurance job.:rolleyes:

The likelihood is that the Samsung will only output optical sound as the new models, unless they palmed you off with an oldie, do not have an aux audio output. The sound connections on the new ones are inputs, not outputs.

So simply put, you will only need the optical cable connection from the TV to the bar and the optical input on the bar will need to be selected.

The optical output is normally on by default on the TV but you may have to go into the menu and enable it if it's been turned off. Simple test - Plus the optical cable into the end of the TV and look at the other end. Is there a red light coming up the middle of the cable ? If there is, then it's on.

ATB

Dave
    Only Top 20? My how my star has fallen......

The Pioneer is a 2.1 br player system (which although far from the most expensive thing I've ever gotten from you guys is probably the most used - it's soooo good). Have tried with the toslink and got the red light alright, but when I connect there's nothing. Pop in a blu ray and it's fine, but just can't get the tv sound to replicate via the aux or the optical.

Played perfectly with the Philips through HDMI and regular audio cables. Have tried with the settings set to external speakers and through the tv but nothing. Have tried "optical" setting too but again, nowt.

Genuinely baffled.

I'll unplug everything and start again at the weekend - trust me it was a nightmare disconnecting and then reconnecting and reconfiguring a TV, a UPC box, a boxee box, an apple tv and a sagem PVR. I did say "never again" but now it looks like I'll have to revisit. :(

Thanks for your insight though Dave!

ATB

Dave

The Pioneer is a 2.1 br player system (which although far from the most expensive thing I've ever gotten from you guys is probably the most used - it's soooo good). Have tried with the toslink and got the red light alright, but when I connect there's nothing. Pop in a blu ray and it's fine, but just can't get the tv sound to replicate via the aux or the optical.

Played perfectly with the Philips through HDMI and regular audio cables. Have tried with the settings set to external speakers and through the tv but nothing. Have tried "optical" setting too but again, nowt.

Genuinely baffled.

I'll unplug everything and start again at the weekend - trust me it was a nightmare disconnecting and then reconnecting and reconfiguring a TV, a UPC box, a boxee box, an apple tv and a sagem PVR. I did say "never again" but now it looks like I'll have to revisit. :(

Dave,

Frustration got the better of me so I came home and unplugged and reconnected everything and it's working now.  And of course it's working through the optical input which I SWEAR DIDN'T WORK YESTERDAY! IMHO I didn't do anything differently than yesterday but thanks for your guidance anyway!

Regards etc,
    ButtersSuki.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

ATB

Dave

Genuinely baffled.

Dave,

Frustration got the better of me so I came home and unplugged and reconnected everything and it's working now.  And of course it's working through the optical input which I SWEAR DIDN'T WORK YESTERDAY! IMHO I didn't do anything differently than yesterday but thanks for your guidance anyway!

Regards etc,
    ButtersSuki.
    Top 20?????????????????

You are starting from scratch again after confessing that you bought a Sammy from the enemy - it sounds like you are really losing your mind anyway if you can't connect a simple optical cable ( and of course then there's the shopping with the competition!!!) :p

just wait 'till the next open box sale - I'll carefully plant all the bits I know you'd love and wait until I know you are on Hols.... Dave 'n me have elephantine memories.... and we can be very bitter and twisted indeed;)

Ah only joking - you know we still love ya - sure who else would buy all our 'winged weirdo' kit ??

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

ATB

Dave

Genuinely baffled.

Dave,

Regards etc,
    ButtersSuki.
    Top 20?????????????????

You are starting from scratch again after confessing that you bought a Sammy from the enemy - it sounds like you are really losing your mind anyway if you can't connect a simple optical cable ( and of course then there's the shopping with the competition!!!) :p

just wait 'till the next open box sale - I'll carefully plant all the bits I know you'd love and wait until I know you are on Hols.... Dave 'n me have elephantine memories.... and we can be very bitter and twisted indeed;)

Ah only joking - you know we still love ya - sure who else would buy all our 'winged weirdo' kit ??

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Forgive me folks...I'll confess and say I bought a very-heavily reduced Samsung from Argos a few weeks back prompted by boards (in the Bargain Alerts Section)).....I'm sorry....I promise I'll be back....sure ye know i will....Believe it or not that was my 2nd time ever in Argos - strange place!

It was intended for the mother in law but post purchase we realised she doesn't have the interweb so it would be wasted on her so we did a retro swap out of the Philips and lo and behold we're up and active now.

Set up however was a complete mare - more because of the ridiculous amount of connections I wanted to add than anything else (or at least that's my story). Doesn't allow you to edit the input names a la the Philips so you're stuck with their names, which is a bit of a shame, but admittedly a very smnall complaint. Philips definitely more intuitive from a set-up point of view.

I know, the shame of not being able to set up correctly will haunt me forever....not to mention the few hours wasted scratching my head. I mean you just can't watch Babestation without surround sound, can you? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

...and then he went and stole his elderly mother-in-laws TV to watch babestation.............

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.