Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ger Brennans speech

• 17-03-2014 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Ger Brennan's acceptance speech - Slagging players appearing in AIB club adverts who have never won a club all ireland appeared a bit classless

No real need for the cynical nature of it considering they had just won, immature and crass

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Switched off after the final whistle.

What exactly did he say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

He's probably one of the more unlikeable characters on and off the pitch in the GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

They wont like that in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭tennessee time

something along the lines of "id like to thank aib, there have been a few dodgy ads flying around about lads down the country who have never won one",

he did thank some of the players boyfriends too which might balance out the ignorance and pettiness of the first part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Thank the supporters, management and sponsors in no particular order.

Patronise the losers with the old 'three cheers' bull.

Get the hell out of there.

Anything else is just a piss take!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

It wasn't the time or the place for that. He was well out of order.

And you don't want to give good players an extra incentive to beat you next time you play them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

It was a joke I'm sure. Maybe ill-timed but calm the feck down lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

something along the lines of "id like to thank aib, there have been a few dodgy ads flying around about lads down the country who have never won one",

he did thank some of the players boyfriends too which might balance out the ignorance and pettiness of the first part

Thats a bit weird isn't it unless some of them are openly gay I guess he is taking the mick or..?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭tennessee time

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Thats a bit weird isn't it unless some of them are openly gay I guess he is taking the mick or..?

maybe its to appease the strong liberal movement within vincents :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Classless.......didn't one of the players in the ads mentioned hand brennan his arse in the championship last year. Been nan contributed the square root of fcuk all Inn the club games I saw on TV this year unlike connolly who was immense particularly today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I thought his speech was pretty funny tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

jaykay74 wrote: »

He said something similar after the Dublin final in his speech so its unlikely he is taking the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

Red Crow wrote: »
    He's probably one of the more unlikeable characters on and off the pitch in the GAA.

Met him a couple of times off the pitch and never noticed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

I noticed it to, What the hell was he on about, trying to be a jocker funny swnsebof humor to be jocking about that after winning the all Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

I noticed it to, What the hell was he on about, trying to be a jocker funny swnsebof humor to be jocking about that after winning the all Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Was there many watching it in the pub?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Tommy Dillon

yeah was in very bad taste. come across as a right d1ckhead.... Dunno what he was thinking to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

keane2097 wrote: »
    I thought his speech was pretty funny tbh.

Me too.

People take what they want from these things. If Quinn said that there wouldn't be a whisper. If Connolly said it, this thread would be 100 pages long!

For the record he was having a go at AIB for the ropey adds they were airing not Colm Cooper and Brendan Cummins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

Dont know where your getting that from i have met him off the pitch and found him a very likeable guy. maybe it a bit of Kildare bitterness on your part. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

didn't hear it so can't be sure but if the quotes are right it sounds more like he was talking about the ads not the players in them but people love a pantomime villain to hate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I think your taking him up wrong. He was annoyed at AIB. I thought it was rather tasteless the day after gooch did his cruciate that AIB had a full page ad basically saying still no all ireland club medal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    I think your taking him up wrong. He was annoyed at AIB. I thought it was rather tasteless the day after gooch did his cruciate that AIB had a full page ad basically saying still no all ireland club medal.

Even more tasteless when you consider Gooch works for AIB.

Maybe Brennan was having a go at AIB that they had players in the ads who hadn't won a club championship i.e Gooch, Cummins instead of players that had i.e Brennan himself, Shane Curran etc;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

joking, joker

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rebus2013

Even more tasteless when you consider Gooch works for AIB.

Maybe Brennan was having a go at AIB that they had players in the ads who hadn't won a club championship i.e Gooch, Cummins instead of players that had i.e Brennan himself, Shane Curran etc;

Lads, you're picking him up wrong. He was having a go at that AIB adverts which the day after gooch got injured in semi final defeat had full page advert stating that gooch still had yet to win one.
    Didn't sit well with alot of players including Brennan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

That's what I took from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Rossie2014

That's what I took from it.

Pretty stupid thing for him to say as an Dublin Intercounty player if thats the case even if as a St Vincents player he may have a valid point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

There's obviously money involved for the players who do appear in ads so there might be some resentment from players who have won an All-Ireland but weren't asked to be in the ad. I'm not saying Brennan's one of them but maybe he's just saying what others in the dressing room were thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

How ger brennan is seen in other counties:

sincitythumb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Much hubub about nothing really - he was having a jokey pop at AIB for the ads not the players for appearing in the ads. Likely the Colm Cooper post-cruciate injury ad in particular. My sister has met him and said he's a lovely chap. He took my flag and got it signed by a heap of Dublin players - he's a good guy in my book but don't let me stop all the ABDs from having a go ;)

• Advertisement

Rebus2013 wrote: »
    Lads, you're picking him up wrong. He was having a go at that AIB adverts which the day after gooch got injured in semi final defeat had full page advert stating that gooch still had yet to win one.
    Didn't sit well with alot of players including Brennan.

In fairness (and I know for a fact because I look after the placement of statutory adverts as part of my job) the advert would have been proofed, signed off on and (given it was the weekend) probably in print before that game took place and no matter what the outcome was against Castlebar, he was never going to have a club championship medal in his possession on February 16th (the day the ad appeared)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Is there a copy of this gooch ad anywhere? A screenshot?

EDIT:

cooperindo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Rossie2014

There's obviously money involved for the players who do appear in ads so there might be some resentment from players who have won an All-Ireland but weren't asked to be in the ad. I'm not saying Brennan's one of them but maybe he's just saying what others in the dressing room were thinking.

Colm Cooper and Brendan Cummins work for AIB so I assume thats why they used them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Much hubub about nothing really - he was having a jokey pop at AIB for the ads not the players for appearing in the ads. Likely the Colm Cooper post-cruciate injury ad in particular. My sister has met him and said he's a lovely chap. He took my flag and got it signed by a heap of Dublin players - he's a good guy in my book but don't let me stop all the ABDs from having a go ;)

Spot on TV. Some people will do anything to have a pop at a Dub. :rolleyes:

The one good thing to come out of today (apart from more silverware residing by the banks of the Liffey naturally :D ) is that we won't have to look at that bloody Brendan Cummins ad coming on the tellybox every 5 minutes or so. I'm really sick of it by now.

There should have been more than just the one with him, especially as they had to drop the CC one after he got injured. There should have been ads featuring players from Castlebar and Vincents too, seeing as they are the teams that were playing in...ya know...THE ACTUAL FINAL OF THE EVENT !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Neeson wrote: »
    Is there a copy of this gooch ad anywhere? A screenshot?

EDIT:

cooperindo.jpg

I thought it was a pop at AIB. The AD above was printed the day after cooper got badly injured. It was poor taste to print the AD when the man was going to be out of action for 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Would love to know what encounter you had with him, because it's widely accepted that he's a gentleman off the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Yes, this thread is turning out as I expected when I saw it - the latest weekly anti-Dublin thread.

Starie1975 wrote: »
    I thought it was a pop at AIB. The AD above was printed the day after cooper got badly injured. It was poor taste to print the AD when the man was going to be out of action for 12 months.
    In fairness (and I know for a fact because I look after the placement of statutory adverts as part of my job) the advert would have been proofed, signed off on and (given it was the weekend) probably in print before that game took place and no matter what the outcome was against Castlebar, he was never going to have a club championship medal in his possession on February 16th (the day the ad appeared)

AIB could not have known he would get injured/lose the match when ad was signed off and by the time they did, it would have been too late to pull the ad.
    For the record, I don't work for AIB but as I stated, I know a thing or two about placing ads in papers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 el_CUERVO

He mentioned the players girlfriend & boyfriends after the Ballymun game too, so there must be something into that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

el_CUERVO wrote: »
    He mentioned the players girlfriend & boyfriends after the Ballymun game too, so there must be something into that.

No - It's definitely just a joke. My nephew was on the Vincent's team yesterday and I was asking him if Ger Brennan was trying to be more inclusive, but my nephew reckons that it's just a continuation of a joke from the County final speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

mobby wrote: »
    Dont know where your getting that from i have met him off the pitch and found him a very likeable guy. maybe it a bit of Kildare bitterness on your part. ;)
    He certainly acts like a total prick on the pitch. Heard him on the radio with Miriam one day bangin on about jesus. Just sounded like an idiot.

• Advertisement

harpsman wrote: »
    He certainly acts like a total prick on the pitch. Heard him on the radio with Miriam one day bangin on about jesus. Just sounded like an idiot.

He's a religious man, very religious. You find him unlikable off the pitch because he has a strong faith?

The man is a gent. You won't find many nicer to be honest.

andyman wrote: »
    He's a religious man, very religious. You find him unlikable off the pitch because he has a strong faith?

The man is a gent. You won't find many nicer to be honest.
    Didnt say that. Ive no problem with religious people-I am one meself!!
    I just think people who talk about the sweet baby jesus in every sentence are idiots.

Why dont u ask him why hes such an arse on the pitch the next time youre talkin to him?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Well, if he was invited on Murriams show to talk about himself and his life and what is important to him, what do you expect him to do? Make something up in case being honest offends people?

Didnt say that. Ive no problem with religious people-I am one meself!!
    I just think people who talk about the sweet baby jesus in every sentence are idiots.

Why dont u ask him why hes such an arse on the pitch the next time youre talkin to him?;)

Why would I do that? I never disputed his actions on the pitch. Deplorable, but how that makes him an idiot off the pitch is nonsense. I worked with him a couple of years ago and I couldn't speak more highly of him as a bloke. He's not up his own arse and is more interested in the person he's talking to than talking about football.

andyman wrote: »
    Why would I do that? I never disputed his actions on the pitch. Deplorable, but how that makes him an idiot off the pitch is nonsense. I worked with him a couple of years ago and I couldn't speak more highly of him as a bloke. He's not up his own arse and is more interested in the person he's talking to than talking about football.
    I never said his onfield behaviour made him an idiot off the pitch.
    Im sure hes a very nice fella. I was bein a bit flippant using the word idiot. What i should have said was that he sounded quite strange the way he brought up jesus in every one of his answers. Just my opinion.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Well, if he was invited on Murriams show to talk about himself and his life and what is important to him, what do you expect him to do? Make something up in case being honest offends people?
    Jeez what is it with u dubs and reading? I never said I expected him to do anything else or that I was remotely offended by his interview. I couldnt give a sh1te if hes very religious-he just came accross as a bit weird, answering every question by referring to jesus.

Also dont think insulting a player whose boots hes not fit to lace is either very christian or very intelligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭superbluedub

you sound like a lovely man yourself,just my opinion like:D

I never said his onfield behaviour made him an idiot off the pitch.
    Im sure hes a very nice fella. I was bein a bit flippant using the word idiot. What i should have said was that he sounded quite strange the way he brought up jesus in every one of his answers. Just my opinion.

I actually mixed you up with the person who said he was unlikable off the pitch. Apologies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Never met him personally but I hate him when we play Kerry, he is a constant thorn in our side. In any other game, I can sit back and watch and enjoy one of the most skillful and naturally talented footballers of our time.

Off the pitch, when he received a phone call from a buddy of his who was playing with an East Cork football team to present medals at an underage function ( Cork players were asked but none were available, AI champions at the time) Gooch drove from Kerry, took them for a training session for an hour and then presented the medals, then drove home. True story.

Unlikeable character....I really don't think so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement