Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expats in Galway, did you ever regret moving there?

Options
  • 17-03-2014 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hello guys,
    as you may have read on my previous thread (or no), I'll be moving to Galway on April. I'm leaving all behind me in Italy, a decent job, an house, a Girlfriend (well, I'm not leaving her but it's going to be difficult!). I really don't know why I did this, I just wanted to change my job and I was able to succeed in Ireland which, by the way, was my second choice after Germany.
    I'll be in Galway for the next year at least, not that the date is approaching really fast, of course I have more fears, not strictly related to me because I basically eat everything, I don't mind the weather (of course, being italian, I'll miss the sun but I'm don't live for it) and I adapt fast. I'm more scared about my gf, she says she'll join me in July but I fear she might hate the place (nothing wrong in Galway! It's just what I'm (over)thinking).

Anyway, to stay more in topic, I would like to know if some of you ever regretted moving there? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The weather sucks (last summer was an exception).

Irish politics is gombeenishly corrupt, the relationship between society and alcohol is not healthy, and some people are incredibly parochial in their outlook.

But the music scene is great, the city is very small and live-in-able, and Mr O'Bumble was found here and is worth staying for.

So yes. But there are compensations. I suspect most people who change countries have this sort of experience, just over different issues.

Irish politics is gombeenishly corrupt, t

He is from Italy, our politicaians are saints compared to what he is used to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭bahamut88

He is from Italy, our politicaians are saints compared to what he is used to :D

LOL, true indeed. Sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Aunt Tebby

I definitely regret moving here and can't wait to get back to Europe.

The health care system is abysmal, as is the quality of rental housing. Totally desperate!

The only positive thing is that the people here are lovely; but that's not enough to make me want to stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Aunt Tebby wrote: »
    The health care system is abysmal...

That is a fair point. University Hospital Galway is one of the worst hospitals in the country and that's saying something. It is more likely to kill you than make you better. And it is getting worse.
    It is not the fault of the doctors/nurses, the bureaucracy/waste in the non-frontline HSE is to blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

bahamut88 wrote: »
    Anyway, to stay more in topic, I would like to know if some of you ever regretted moving there? :)
    No. If you have to live here, Galway is the best place to live in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Aunt Tebby

@Red Pepper.

It's horrifying.

Compared with the health care systems in France/Belgium/Luxembourg/Germany, the Irish system is on the level of the 2nd or 3rd world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

@Red Pepper.

It's horrifying.

Compared with the health care systems in France/Belgium/Luxembourg/Germany, the Irish system is on the level of the 2nd or 3rd world.

I know full well. And I understand the reasons. Unfortunatelt there is no fixing it in the short-medium term (i.e. 10-20 years) because the unions and management have it all tied up.
    Bottom line, do not get ill in Galway unless you have superb private health insurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Red Pepper wrote: »
    I know full well. And I understand the reasons. Unfortunatelt there is no fixing it in the short-medium term (i.e. 10-20 years) because the unions and management have it all tied up.
    Bottom line, do not get ill in Galway unless you have superb private health insurance!

Most of the fit and healthy population dont so its not a major worry for a large %. Rental in Galway isnt that bad either, some great places out there,some poor too but its a student city with high demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

@Red Pepper.

It's horrifying.

Irish hospitals are excellent if you have private health insurance and the public system isnt bad, but expect long queues. The Irish health system is in ways better than the NHS. If you require an expensive drug, the HSE will buy it. However the NHS may decide the drug isnt value for money and you are left to die.

OP I know an Italian working in Galway and he likes it. He works for a MNC and I imagine the one you might be working at possibly. He says the local supermarket (Dunnes) sell Decco Pasta and decent tomatoes( As an Italian, you wouldnt eat what Irish people can Pasta).

Despite what you read about Ireland, there is little black market activity and no massive corruption like in Italy. You will not be required to give any one a brown envelope. Expect living expenses to be a lot higher. But the quality of life in the west is pretty good and you will enjoy it.

• Advertisement

hfallada wrote: »
    Irish hospitals are excellent if you have private health insurance and the public system isnt bad, but expect long queues. The Irish health system is in ways better than the NHS. If you require an expensive drug, the HSE will buy it. However the NHS may decide the drug isnt value for money and you are left to die.

OP I know an Italian working in Galway and he likes it. He works for a MNC and I imagine the one you might be working at possibly. He says the local supermarket (Dunnes) sell Decco Pasta and decent tomatoes( As an Italian, you wouldnt eat what Irish people can Pasta).

Despite what you read about Ireland, there is little black market activity and no massive corruption like in Italy. You will not be required to give any one a brown envelope. Expect living expenses to be a lot higher. But the quality of life in the west is pretty good and you will enjoy it.

Thanks all for your opinions.

Well, I live in Abruzzo ( De Cecco pasta it's actually produced 50 km away from where I live, Glad I'll be able to find it but as I was saying, I really eat everything, I even ate the crocodille in Germany...), so no brown envelopes here! Maybe you're referring to Campania and Sicily, but that's another matter.
    I took a look at numbeo, I didn't find the prices to be particularly higher compared to where I live here and I'll be earning a lot more, so I think I should be fine.

As for the quality of health care, I hope I won't need it but I'll have a private insurance, I hope it will help.

What I find true it's that the quality of houses seems a bit low, I won't mind paying a fair price (even 500euros for a room) to have a decent house. I'm no snooty person but I'm 30 years old and I lived in crappy houses, now I want some comfort. I can't seem to find a decent place on daft, I'll have a more detailed look when I come there.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I only ever met one foreigner that didn't like it here.
    She was going out with a local guy and when they broke up she went back to Scandinavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

You have made a good choice in Galway. There are only a handful of places that would I recommend to people coming to this country and Galway is one of them.

With regard to healthcare, my son was very sick when he was born. He was given a 10% chance of survival. He received world class care that cost us nothing. He is in school now and I will never forget the professional medical care which he got at University Hospital Galway. Many people have had bad experiences in our healthcare system but it's not all doom and gloom.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dimcoin

Odd question...but is there surfing near Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

dimcoin wrote: »
    Odd question...but is there surfing near Galway?

Achill and Lahinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Well since you're moving from a place with a large population I think you will love the place but find it hard to live with the fact that Galway is tiny in the grand scheme of things.

However I still think its a great place to live.
    Get involved in the culture of music and arts.

Note that I don't live there anymore but did for 9 years.

Healthcare is hit and miss: there are no clinical protocols, so if you get into the system and a good consultant is on your site, you can get brilliant care.

OTHO, getting in is hard and there have been some dreadful failures that some of us believe had more to do with race than many Irish would like to admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Healthcare is hit and miss: there are no clinical protocols, so if you get into the system and a good consultant is on your site, you can get brilliant care.

OTHO, getting in is hard and there have been some dreadful failures that some of us had more to do with race than many Irish would like to admit.

I don't think that's true and can't think of any evidence to suggest it. There was one recent tragedy involving an Indian lady that appalled the entire population. It was due to clinical mismanagement of sepsis care and no one,including the woman's family, has ever suggested that race was a part of it. It could've happened and has happened to Irish people too.
    All Irish people have foreign friends ,even family through marriage, who are integral to our lives. No one here would stand for racially motivated poor medical care.

Anyway in UCHG you are almost as likely to get a doctor of foreign origin in clinics and assisting you on a hospital stay as you are to meet an Irish doctor. Most consultants however are Irish Drs.

All that said I definitely would not come here specifically for the healthcare system. There are much better offerings in other Euro countries in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

OTHO, getting in is hard and there have been some dreadful failures that some of us had more to do with race than many Irish would like to admit.

Link to these failures?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Achill and Lahinch.

Actually there are also fanore and Westport for surfing which are both nearer than the aforementioned places
    there have been some dreadful failures that some of us had more to do with race than many Irish would like to admit.

That's a pretty outrageous statement. If you have evidence to back this up then you need to post this otherwise you should retract this statement. Our health system may not be world class but to state that poor medical care is racially motivated is just ridiculous.

• Advertisement

zarquon wrote: »
    That's a pretty outrageous statement. If you have evidence to back this up then you need to post this otherwise you should retract this statement. Our health system may not be world class but to state that poor medical care is racially motivated is just ridiculous.

My apologies: reviewing my post I realise that I left out a key word that I intended initlally, but my fingers were moving faster than my brain.

No evidence is needed. Some people (myself included, and I know I'm not the only one) believe that if Savita was Irish, her sepsis would have been detected a lot earlier and managed properly. I can name one other person who went into hospital for test and came out dead - again, I believe that this was due to lack of attention most likely because of race. And I know I'm not the only one who believes this.

I'm the type of foreign who people quickly forget is foreign. I've heard some quite outrageous things said when people believe there are only Irish people in earshot, from folks who are nice as pie otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

There's plenty of good accommodation out there for a decent price, when I lived in Galway I was paying around €240 per month for a nice house sharing with three others and that included all bills, cable tv and 100mbps internet.

I moved to Galway from elsewhere in Ireland but I didn't know a single person when I moved there, loved the place though and I'd move back tomorrow if I could find a job. There's plenty of foreigners and people in the same boat who don't know anyone so it's really easy to meet people if you're willing to put in a bit of effort

No evidence is needed. Some people (myself included, and I know I'm not the only one) believe that if Savita was Irish, her sepsis would have been detected a lot earlier and managed properly. I can name one other person who went into hospital for test and came out dead - again, I believe that this was due to lack of attention most likely because of race. And I know I'm not the only one who believes this.
    There have been some terrible things to happen to foreigners here as well as elsewhere in Ireland/EU/world but this thread isn't for potential HSE racism discussion, particularly unsubstantiated.
    Please continue on the life of expats here but let's drop HSE and racism from this thread (feel free to use Politics, Health Sciences, AH for that discussion).

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

If you miss watching Inter Milan, Lazio, Roma. AC Milan etc etc, well you can continue to follow your dreams by watching Galway FC on their European* journey. Look at www.galwayfc.ie

*Longford and Cobh are geographically in Europe

Paddyfield wrote: »
    If you miss watching Inter Milan, Lazio, Roma. AC Milan etc etc, well you can continue to follow your dreams by watching Galway FC on their European* journey. Look at www.galwayfc.ie

*Longford and Cobh are geographically in Europe

I'm not really into football, so I won't miss matches.
    Also, many of you suggested to go into music, I do like live music so I'll be fine, I'm into metal but I'm good with other genres. :)
    Come on guys, less health opinions (hopefully nobody would need it :P ) and more about the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

bahamut88 wrote: »
    I'm not really into football, so I won't miss matches.

Believe me, you won't see much football here either.

Paddyfield wrote: »
    Believe me, you won't see much football here either.

LoL, I count on that.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

My apologies: reviewing my post I realise that I left out a key word that I intended initlally, but my fingers were moving faster than my brain.

I'm the type of foreign who people quickly forget is foreign. I've heard some quite outrageous things said when people believe there are only Irish people in earshot, from folks who are nice as pie otherwise.
    I think evidence is needed. Find it outrageous that you can just throw around lazy allegations without providing even a stitch of evidence.

Back on topic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

biko wrote: »
    There have been some terrible things to happen to foreigners here as well as elsewhere in Ireland/EU/world but this thread isn't for potential HSE racism discussion, particularly unsubstantiated.
    Please continue on the life of expats here but let's drop HSE and racism from this thread (feel free to use Politics, Health Sciences, AH for that discussion).

Do you not think it would be somewhat important to allow posters to refute allegations that as a nation and a community we are standing by and letting people die in our hospital system because of their race?

If it's not answered or questioned it looks very much like there might be a credible accusation.People thinking of moving here will search these threads in future and if that question hangs in the air, if posters do not even see fit to respond to it, then surely people would be seriously put off ever coming here.

Mrs O'Bumble I think you can take an instance of something happening to one or two people and extrapolate unfairly that it was because of their race,gender or class. The sad truth is that every health service has it's issues and UCHG is no different. I know three people who have serious health issues that went undiagnosed this year there. 2 of those people are now dead as a result.1 narrowly escaped that fate. All 3 of them were Irish,middle class,2 of them were male. I think it is a shoddy system but that it treats everyone equally unfairly.

Advertisement