Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gravity reading too high?

Options
  • 17-03-2014 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

Just did another gravity reading today of my stout and its giving a reading of 1.012 after a starting gravity of 1.052. Just wondering should it be lower. It's two weeks fermenting now and it seams to have stabled off now at 1.012. The stout tastes fine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

A reading of 1012 would be a normal finishing gravity for most ales. Its probably not going to drop any further if its stable for a while. Hope it turns out nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

That looks fine. Best practice is to read the gravity over three days or so (one sample a day) and if the readings are the same for each sample then it is done.

What fermentable did you use (dextrose, light malt extract, dark malt extract)? I bottled a Cooper's Irish Stout before Christmas made with dark malt extract that was up at 1.018 and it was at that for a good solid week before bottling.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

I used dark malt extract, It's my first time doing Extract brewing, so I had thought I had done something wrong. But it tastes fine to me. Deciding now whether to move it into secondary or just bottle it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

I myself would not bother moving a stout to secondary, probably bottle or keg after about two weeks if finished fermenting. Most beers now I bottle/keg after about two weeks if the beer is pretty clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

calnand wrote: »
    I used dark malt extract, It's my first time doing Extract brewing, so I had thought I had done something wrong. But it tastes fine to me. Deciding now whether to move it into secondary or just bottle it now.

Dark malt extract tends to have more unfermentables so would generally have a higher finishing gravity than light malt extract. 1.012 is fine though. I won't bother with secondary though, there's a bit of a risk of infection or oxidation for very little benefit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement