Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veal and mutton.

• 17-03-2014 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking of trying both of these, as I've never tried either. Does the animal being a different age really affect the meat much? Is it really much different from eating beef and lamb?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Veal is a much milder taste than beef, delicate if it's done right or tasteless if done wrong.

Conversely, Mutton is a much stronger taste than lamb, deliciously rich and flavourful when done right, fairly rank when done wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Thanks for the reply. Do you think they're hard to cook? I'm personally not a great cook, but I can cook meat without totally ruining it. Should I try cook it myself or get someone who's better to do it?

Thanks for the reply. Do you think they're hard to cook? I'm personally not a great cook, but I can cook meat without totally ruining it. Should I try cook it myself or get someone who's better to do it?

If you can get your hands on it, get a recipe and try it. Veal only takes a little cooking Mutton is a slow simmering job (or roasting). You'll probably only get them from a good butcher though, might even have to order them as they are not popular.

Some restaurants do them, if you eat 'lamb' in an indian restaurant you may have already eaten mutton. I've had mutton in the Ivory Tower in Cork. Italian restaurants are good places to find veal.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Would I cook a veal steak the same way that I cook a regular steak? I'd usually cook a steak as rare as I think I'll get away with without getting food poisoning. Or is veal something that should be cooked more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Would I cook a veal steak the same way that I cook a regular steak? I'd usually cook a steak as rare as I think I'll get away with without getting food poisoning. Or is veal something that should be cooked more?
    - about 60 seconds a side for an 8oz veal steak on a v hot pan, salt to taste and maybe a little black pepper.

• Advertisement

Much shorter time and no BIG flavours added. I like a 3-4 week old Beef Ribeye with a whole fried Chilli or a Sirloin with a good dollop of english mustard. You'd kill a veal steak with this. A sprinkle of sea salt and a dab of salsa OR a sprinkle of fresh grated parmesan is all you need. Best of all to learn any meat is "au naturel" just taste the meat and only the meat then choose what to add.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Just as an example of how sheepmeat changes as the animal ages, buy and freeze some lamb now, and get some spring lamb in a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

The price change is also massive. Coming up to easter, lamb prices go through the roof. If you buy it in winter (which is gonna be hogget or something I guess, or maybe NZ spring lamb) it's much cheaper.

F.

Advertisement