Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full refurb of two bed terraced house in Cork

Options
  • 17-03-2014 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

I'm a FTB and a complete novice at all things construction but I am considering making an offer on a terraced house that needs complete renovation. I am getting a builder to come and look at the house with me but I'm wondering if I am in total cloud cuckoo land re budget. Budget is probably around €90k.

Existing house: 3 bed, circa 800 sq. ft., no existing bathroom plumbing, block on flat construction (whatever that means). adjacent to Cork city centre. Has been underpinned. Currently under offer €85k

Needs:
    • Remove internal structure and create 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom upstairs
    • (including skips/remove debris)
    • Remove narrow staircase and replace
    • Extend existing kitchen & put in new fitted kitchen
    • Insulate
    • Rewire
    • New windows & doors
    • Install heating (gas fired or underfloor perhaps)
    • Reroof (maybe)

Including finish (tiling, painting, internal doors, skirting etc) but excluding furniture would 90k be a reasonable budget or have I not provided enough detail?

Realistically I can't do any of it myself also would need someone to manage the build. Who should I talk to architect/QS/builder?
    I want it to be a fairly bog standard house but good BER. Basic finish kitchen/bathroom etc.

I'd be grateful for any opinions
    Kaz

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I know a guy who did this in cork recently. He thought he'd spend 50k but he spent +100k ( completely finished). It'll get maybe mid B rating ( note he was mid terrace, with new roof)

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Thanks - any idea what his hidden costs were? i.e. what sucked up his extra €50k?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Good QS first I think - for costs. You'd probably need an Engineer's Report also.

IMO you should be ok with €90-ish, but the kitchen extension might eat into your funds if you're not careful/modest.

As well as gas heating, consider getting a stove with back boiler for the rads. U/floor sounds great, but I haven't heard many good reports unless you try to go passive (almost impossible in Ireland for a refurb I believe).

Your QS might PM the job for you - depends on their skill-set, go to tender for the job and get the PM to be pretty sticky with the builder. They need to deliver according to the Tender.

Get decent windows and external doors - not worth skimping on these - esp in town if you want to keep noise out.

Tiling is expensive for what you get IMO - any alternatives? E.g. wood floor in hall. Would you investigate e.g. Grosfillex for bathroom/shower?

Best of luck!

Kazbah wrote: »
    Thanks - any idea what his hidden costs were? i.e. what sucked up his extra €50k?

Old house..
    three that were mentioned were:
    Crap extension that needed major work
    Plumbing and old ground floor ultimately replaced
    And underestimating cost of finishing
    He tried to manage it, didn't get dwg or spec and what he saved was spent in delays and re-do's

A friends mum is also renovation a house currently in cork. She was to be in for Xmas 15 months ago but is still in rented accommodation.. She trusted the builder. When structural problems became clear she had no contract in place or independent professional on board. Not sure what the status is, but she's still renting else where.

If your serious about a particular house. What about arranging a viewing with a QS? Would it be worth the few quid for piece if mind.

My advice. Have contract between you and any builder, if your not particularly inclined get a main contractor to cover all works, some type of PI covered professional and contingency (some call this a 'PC' sum) I'd suggest 15/20% for the 'unknown unknown'

blindsider wrote: »
    Grosfillex for bathroom/shower?
    !
    I wouldn't even do that to students :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for input guys :)

I am getting a builder friend to see it first, just to see if I'm in the right ball park with budget. The understanding is no guarantee he will get the job but he can tender for it. If I'm happy to make an offer with the rough idea I'll be able to do it within budget I will get an engineer's report and architect/QS to examine site and discuss options and draw up plans and tender documents. Ideally I suppose a team that have worked together of arch/QS/contractor.

Yes I think GFCH will probably be the most straightforward though I like the idea of no radiators. I've heard vey bad things about a stove/back boiler. Not sure if it would be worth the investment.

Windows & doors would love alu clad. Not sure if they're uber expensive.
    I need to google Grosfillex!
    Happy to minimise tiled floors to kitchen & bathroom and the rest wooden

Given that it has been underpinned I must check out if there is any problem with house insurance.

BryanF is dwg proper plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

BryanF wrote: »
    I wouldn't even do that to students :)

Hope this isn't too much of a hijack....

Genuine question: what's the problem with Grosfillex?

My current thinking is that tiling is the expensive option - and we all seem to go for it without asking why.

I mean, it's a bathroom/shower - we don't live in there -hopefully :)

I've heard that e.g. Grosfillex is maintenance-free and you don't have issues with grout cleaning and discoloration etc

TBH I don't know how much you'd save, but if I was renovating a bathroom, I'd certainly do the sums.

Interested in your experiences? Any other options worth looking at?

@Kazbah - solid fuel stoves with back boilers seem to have a good rep these days - mega thread here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056390351&page=190

Speccing the system with a knowledgeable, experienced plumber seems to be the key. Would be worth tracking down someone who can show you a boiler stove in action.

The house I'm renting has grosfillex in the bathroom. It's grand but I wouldn't have it if I was buying a home. It just looks and feels a bit cheap. Kind of like a caravan feel to the shower LOL

It just looks and feels a bit cheap. Kind of like a caravan feel to the shower LOL
    exactly

Thanks for input guys :)

1. I am getting a builder friend to see it first, just to see if I'm in the right ball park with budget. The understanding is no guarantee he will get the job but he can tender for it.
    2. If I'm happy to make an offer with the rough idea I'll be able to do it within budget I will get an engineer's report and architect/QS to examine site and discuss options and draw up plans and tender documents. Ideally I suppose a team that have worked together of arch/QS/contractor.
    3. Yes I think GFCH will probably be the most straightforward though I like the idea of no radiators. I've heard vey bad things about a stove/back boiler. Not sure if it would be worth the investment. Windows & doors would love alu clad. Not sure if they're uber expensive.
    4. I need to google Grosfillex!
    5. Happy to minimise tiled floors to kitchen & bathroom and the rest wooden
    6. Given that it has been underpinned I must check out if there is any problem with house insurance.
    7. BryanF is dwg proper plans?

1. just remember it'll be a 'ball park'
    2. ok
    3. you've been listening to pub chatter as regards Back boiler, but suit yourself. alot will depend on the house.. remember under floor needs loads of insulation and loads of detailing to avoid thermal bridging (also known as cold bridges)
    4. dont bother
    5. up to you
    6. do
    7. DraWinG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Peonygrace

Hi I'm curious if you ended up doing this or Not? How did it go, if so....

No I didn't I was overwhelmed by the work and my lack of knowledge.

Advertisement